Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hall of Fame Drama Tonight

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    Edgar is tied for the 32nd best OPS in the history of baseball at .933. A lifetime OBP of .418 good for 21st all time. Led the AL in OBP 3 times and top 5 10 times. A career slash line of .312/.418/.515. While batting average isn't a great stat if someone has an extremely good lifetime avg then I think it does reflect on the quality of hitter and .312 is very good over 7200 at bats. 7 all star games and 5 Silver Slugger awards. I just do not see how he is even borderline. If he put the same numbers up in New York or LA he would already be in.
    He is borderline because defense does matter. The fact that Edgar is that bad defensively that he can't even play a position passively does take him down several notches. Luckily WAR accounts for this and Edgars fWAR is 65.5 A total I would vote for in the HOF. However that is a borderline area. We have players like Jim Edmonds who get booted from voting the first time they are on it and players like Vlad who are in the 50's yet miss cooperstown by a few votes. It's an odd area to be in as far as HOF voting goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Two points about Andruw. First, reading all of the preview articles about next year's voting, every single one mentioned Andruw and stated his case as having a legitimate chance. I think it may take some time, but he's got a shot, especially if all of the stats are considered as a whole and they don't place too much emphasis on how he fell off at a young age.

Secondly, it's still embarrassing we're talking about a potential hall of famer, who spent the majority of his career in Atlanta, and we haven't even given any thought to retiring his number. In fact #25 is currently in use by Tyler Flowers, and was given out prior to that as well. Just a blunder by the Braves organization in my opinion.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Two points about Andruw. First, reading all of the preview articles about next year's voting, every single one mentioned Andruw and stated his case as having a legitimate chance. I think it may take some time, but he's got a shot, especially if all of the stats are considered as a whole and they don't place too much emphasis on how he fell off at a young age.

Secondly, it's still embarrassing we're talking about a potential hall of famer, who spent the majority of his career in Atlanta, and we haven't even given any thought to retiring his number. In fact #25 is currently in use by Tyler Flowers, and was given out prior to that as well. Just a blunder by the Braves organization in my opinion.
    I think if he's elected they will change their stance on that. But yeah it is embarrassing.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Weird.

He was inducted into the Braves HOF last year, I thought they'd retire his number.
    Forever Fredi

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    So NL guys who are horrible defensively but still play the field get a pass? That is exactly what happens...

I have always been one of those who favor a big Hall though. I also think Andrew deserves to be in. Next year's vote is going to be interesting.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    So NL guys who are horrible defensively but still play the field get a pass? That is exactly what happens...

I have always been one of those who favor a big Hall though. I also think Andrew deserves to be in. Next year's vote is going to be interesting.
    Like who? Dick Allen comes to mind who was someone who played the field and was horrible defensively but hasn't been inducted yet. Although there are other issues with Allen's candidacy and not necessarily his poor defense and that wasn't even something considered at that time.

I'm a big hall guy too and I would vote for Edgar. But I can see those that favor a small hall not voting for him. He's on that borderline range when you consider all parts of a players game.