Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts

Jewish Community Centers Under Threat

"Jewish community centers across the nation are under siege as dozens received bomb threats this month ― including more than 20 reported on Wednesday alone."

My sister works at one of those JCCs that received a bomb threat today.

I know the article quotes Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office Captain Mike Hartzler as saying that "There’s no apparent motive and no immediate danger"; and I know our own [MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION] has assured me that the racially-premised and nakedly anti-semitic elements of Trump's constituency, and the alt-right at large, represent a fringe minority. Nevertheless, the fact that the ADL (a flawed organization, but one that is certainly keeping tabs on this score) has noted "a spike in hate incidents post-election and a series of bomb threats targeting the Jewish community over the past couple weeks" is both discouraging and, to my mind, difficult to divorce from the President-elect's ascendance—given the gleefully vociferous (if otherwise marginal) anti-semitism of a component of the latter's base, and the fact that—intentional or not—his success lends cover and credibility to any actual, hateful activities that might derive from this type of heretofore-only-vocalized sentiment.
    Last edited by jpx7; 01-18-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."