Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Inauguration Day 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    No, you're moving the goalposts. Those court cases have unequivocally ruled that civil rights are being violated and your response is "what is a civil right"?

You're welcome to your opinion. I'm telling you that the opinions I've referenced have the force of law behind them, so you can't easily wave them away so easily.

So, if the courts rule that equal protection under the law is violated by laws drafted with the intent of suppressing the franchise among certain groups, you would disagree that peoples' civil rights are being violated?
    And what will happen when the lower courts are replaced by others who don't believe these actions viOlathe civil rights? Will youthen agree with it? I wouldn't expect you to and nor should you expect me to recognize these ruling as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Out of curiosity how far are you willing to go to end the war on drugs? Are we talking about more than marijuana? Are you talking about users and sellers?

Just about anything is better than what we have right now. Weed should be regulated somewhere in between how tobacco and alcohol are. It doesn't cause cancer on the scale tobacco does or impare your motor skills quite as much as alcohol. There is a limit people should not drive while high on pot but it takes a lot to get there. Driving while high on pot is equivalent to talking on the phone while driving or eating. I have driven drunk and I have driven high and it's not really even comparable. Bad drivers sober will be bad drivers high.

I would legalize all drugs with the exception of Crack and Meth. I might go with a policy of drugs being legal but you cant have a gun while in possession or high on drugs. I would focus law enforcement on preventing violence. Just spitballing here I could write a book about it.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Just about anything is better than what we have right now. Weed should be regulated somewhere in between how tobacco and alcohol are. It doesn't cause cancer on the scale tobacco does or impare your motor skills quite as much as alcohol. There is a limit people should not drive while high on pot but it takes a lot to get there. Driving while high on pot is equivalent to talking on the phone while driving or eating. I have driven drunk and I have driven high and it's not really even comparable. Bad drivers sober will be bad drivers high.

I would legalize all drugs with the exception of Crack and Meth. I might go with a policy of drugs being legal but you cant have a gun while in possession or high on drugs. I would focus law enforcement on preventing violence. Just spitballing here I could write a book about it.
    I agree that marijuana should be legal. I'm not sure we should move further than that though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    So how much violence is occurring right now among what appears to be hundreds of thousands of people demonstrating nationwide?
    [MENTION=128]sturg33[/MENTION]@thethe [MENTION=2]weso1[/MENTION]
    This just proves my point. A bunch of leftists can protest without fear from right leaning folks. Do you think Trump supporters would be able to throw a similar event without a significant threat of violence? Imagine if there wasn't a massive police presence for the inauguration or police presence at Trump celebration activities.

Are there places you wouldn't go in this country while wearing a Trump hat?
    thank you weso1!

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I wouldn't characterize human walls as necessarily violent either but certainly it is a form of free speech suppression which I assume you are not fond of. And I think you'd probably admit that occurs more against right leaning speakers as well. Imo, there are several reasons for this discrepency.

1) There are more young people who identify as left leaning and young people are more likely to do dumb violent or fascist acts.

2) Leftists tend to be driven more by emotion when compared to those who lean right.

3) A push by democrat politicians and media to unfairly and maliciously portray people on the right as racist, bigoted and homophobic thus giving a rationalization for young emotional people to commit acts of violence and fascism.

I think as long as people on the left continue to push my third point the escalated violence and fascism from the left will continue.
    I do not like the kind of suppression of free speech that you reference. I understand that it's a tactic that is underpinned by a certain philosophy of resistance, but it's not one that I subscribe to. I'd join you in condemning its effect but not agree with your interpretation of its cause.

As for points 2 and 3 . . . er, sorry, no.

Despite the common critique of gushy liberals being driven by emotion, it seems to me that the Trump movement is driven by emotion to a greater degree than anything else. If his very rational supporters are willing to say that his actual words aren't to be taken literally, why would they continue to support him? "Make America Great Again" is what, exactly? A laundry list of policy prescriptions or an appeal to emotion? "We don't win anymore. When I'm elected, we're going to do so much winning." Is that a rational appeal?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    After Obama's win in 2012

Forever Fredi

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (01-21-2017), goldfly (01-21-2017), Julio3000 (01-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    And what will happen when the lower courts are replaced by others who don't believe these actions viOlathe civil rights? Will youthen agree with it? I wouldn't expect you to and nor should you expect me to recognize these ruling as well.
    I believe that certain court cases are wrongly decided, but I am willing to respect the rule of law. If we don't have that, what do we have? I hate the idea of President Trump but I accept the legitimacy of his election. I disagree with, for example, the Heller and Citizens United SC decisions, but I accept their results as legally binding.

In the specific cases I cited, these decisions have been handed down unanimously by panels comprised of judges appointed by both parties. Again, I provided a specific example that you asked for, and your response is to essentially plug your ears and say LALALAICANTHEARYOUWHATARECIVILRIGHTSANYWAY.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I do not like the kind of suppression of free speech that you reference. I understand that it's a tactic that is underpinned by a certain philosophy of resistance, but it's not one that I subscribe to. I'd join you in condemning its effect but not agree with your interpretation of its cause.

As for points 2 and 3 . . . er, sorry, no.

Despite the common critique of gushy liberals being driven by emotion, it seems to me that the Trump movement is driven by emotion to a greater degree than anything else. If his very rational supporters are willing to say that his actual words aren't to be taken literally, why would they continue to support him? "Make America Great Again" is what, exactly? A laundry list of policy prescriptions or an appeal to emotion? "We don't win anymore. When I'm elected, we're going to do so much winning." Is that a rational appeal?
    Certainly there are some Trump supporters who are emotional, but generally speaking psychology studies have shown that those who lean left tend to be more emotionally driven. And on the surface it makes sense. Younger people tend to be more emotional, women tend to be more emotional and those in the arts tend to be more emotional. These three groups lean pretty heavily to the left.

As for point 3, I'm surprised you summarily dismiss it. You honestly don't think democrats in the media and in politics have tried to portray conservatives the way I described?
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I agree that marijuana should be legal. I'm not sure we should move further than that though.

Freedom isn't just the opportunity to make "good" decisions because what is good is subjective. Many of the worst atrocities were carried out by people who thought they were doing good. Abolitionists were hated in their day. People supporting interracial marriage or desegregation were seen as the bad guys by a lot of people. When we get away from requiring a victim or intended victim to send people to prison we set up the proverbial slippery slope for all kinds of immoral laws.

Don't confuse supporting legalization of a drug as encouraging people to use it. The drugs are out there and people are going to abuse them regardless of what the law is.

I think the negative effects of legalizing drugs pails in comparison to the damage done by the war on drugs because the drugs are still widely available even while illegal. All the violence they blame on the drugs are actually are caused by the lucrative black market prohibition causes.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    why does Trump keep talking about the size of inaugural crowd ?

and why did he shut down Dept of Interior twitter sites that showed photos ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I mean, it's an inconsequential sideline, but I'm amazed that the Trump WH chose to make their first media address about criticizing the media for their coverage of the inauguration crowds.

Seriously? All the ridiculous "day one" promises that are made and they're gonna ignore it all and tell people that chicken **** is chicken salad.

Homey, we can see the pictures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    When I turned on the inauguration they spent about 10 minutes saying how small the crowd was compared to Obama. It's not odd that they would say it but they kept saying it over and over and over to the point where it was a little weird. Love him or hate him Obama's inauguration was far more historic than Trump's for obvious reasons.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I guess if Trump hadn't equated his ability to draw a crowd with his popular mandate AND suggested that he would draw record crowds to his inaugural, it wouldn't be so worthy of remark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Has Trump said "of course Obama had a bigger crowd, my voters actually work for a living" yet?

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I do hope Trump will eventually be able to get past this petty stuff. The media and him went to war and he won. Everyone knows it. He doesn't need to keep telling us.
    Natural Immunity Croc

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Garmel (01-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Seriously, the cat spends his inaugural address talking about how our country is coming apart at the seams and today they're talking about crowds. Okay, President Micro-Peen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Seriously, the cat spends his inaugural address talking about how our country is coming apart at the seams and today they're talking about crowds. Okay, President Micro-Peen.
    To be fair the media is taking every opportunity to suppress the Trump, economic populist, anti establishment movement every chance they get. Trump lays up a couple of softballs for them to hit but lets not act like the media is an innocent player in this. They are doing everything they can to delegitimize Trump so that they don't lose their own power.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I do hope Trump will eventually be able to get past this petty stuff. The media and him went to war and he won. Everyone knows it. He doesn't need to keep telling us.
    That's an interesting take.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I don't see him dropping it anytime soon.

I think he'll continue to use it as a "get out of jail" card. Anytime someone criticizes him, be it a journalist, political analyst, or tv opinion personality he will draw on the media card again.

If he dropped that narrative it'd completely go against his underdog character he's been forcing down people the last year and a half.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I don't see him dropping it anytime soon.

I think he'll continue to use it as a "get out of jail" card. Anytime someone criticizes him, be it a journalist, political analyst, or tv opinion personality he will draw on the media card again.

If he dropped that narrative it'd completely go against his underdog character he's been forcing down people the last year and a half.
    Thats fair. I could see that happening unfortunately.

As I've said before this stuff is not a concern to me. I have laid out the items I want to see done during a Trump presidency and if accomplished he will be considered a resounding success.
    Natural Immunity Croc