Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Inauguration Day 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And once the liberal machine unleashed on ... who knows what would have happened.
    WOW, there is a "liberal machine " too !!!!!

Hope some one gets you Rogets Thesaurus for your birthday
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Claiming that Trump removed the MLK bust from the Oval was incendiary and egregious. Not to mention wildly sloppy reporting. Can't really fault the White House for wanting to get out in front of a story like that.
    I do not at all mind or think it was inappropriate for them to criticize that. It was sloppy and arguably unprofessional.

Here's the thing: there was no need to "get out in front" of it because it was corrected by the reporter who said it literally minutes afterward. It was corrected and retracted by his organization. So I think it was fine for them to highlight it, but it was done in a disingenuous way, as part of a disingenuous narrative.

I hope to be able to accept legit media criticism from Trump fans, but, honestly, I find it a challenge, because both the man and the campaign have so often acted in poor faith and treated the truth with such disregard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    anyone else remember 2001 reports that the Clinton's made off with lamps etc and removed the W's from computer keyboards.
    those kind of reports are not particular to Trump.

Question for the board, when did Trump and his acolytes become sensitive to Political Correctness ?
    and or, just so sensitive ?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Here's the thing: there was no need to "get out in front" of it because it was corrected by the reporter who said it literally minutes afterward. It was corrected and retracted by his organization. So I think it was fine for them to highlight it, but it was done in a disingenuous way, as part of a disingenuous narrative.
    How many times was it retweeted? How many blogs ran with the original tweet? Facebook statuses' updated? Hatreds reaffirmed?

Do you honestly believe that everyone understands the exact context/timeline of what happened as completely as you and I do?

I mean, this was a tweet - not a retraction in a print publication. You can't scrub away virality.

By the same token, how many people do you think fully understand that the Trump prostitute piss story has been completely discredited? The damage has been done.

So, again, I understand why the White House felt it appropriate to push back hard against slanderous reporting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

the Trump prostitute piss story has been completely discredited
    Has it ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Referencing polls from this last election seems kind of silly to me. And once the liberal machine unleashed on Cruz or kasich who knows what would have happened.
    the final polls were clustered around Clinton winning by 4. And she won the popular vote by 3.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-22-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    How many times was it retweeted? How many blogs ran with the original tweet? Facebook statuses' updated? Hatreds reaffirmed?

Do you honestly believe that everyone understands the exact context/timeline of what happened as completely as you and I do?

I mean, this was a tweet - not a retraction in a print publication. You can't scrub away virality.

By the same token, how many people do you think fully understand that the Trump prostitute piss story has been completely discredited? The damage has been done.

So, again, I understand why the White House felt it appropriate to push back hard against slanderous reporting.
    I prefer to think of it as an alternative fact.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-22-2017), Julio3000 (01-22-2017), The Chosen One (01-22-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I prefer to think of it as an alternative fact.
    Alternative reality would more accurate. We can file it on a shelf with the Clinton/Epstein pedophilia video.

In the spirit of equality and all that.

It does make me wince a bit that the same category of people who have willingly allowed themselves to be duped into believing that Russia 'delegitimized' our electoral process wouldn't recognize the same tactic at play here, by different hands, in the realm of the office of the President.

That's the casual observer of American politics for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Alternative reality would more accurate. We can file it on a shelf with the Clinton/Epstein pedophilia video.

In the spirit of equality and all that.

It does make me wince a bit that the same category of people who have willingly allowed themselves to be duped into believing that Russia 'delegitimized' our electoral process wouldn't recognize the same tactic at play here, by different hands, in the realm of the office of the President.

That's the casual observer of American politics for you.
    I don't have to actually explain that I was making a joke, do I?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I don't have to actually explain that I was making a joke, do I?
    You sure as hell do. It's 2017, brother.

I didn't think we were allowed to joke about anything anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly that the lie is halfway around the world before the truth has laced up its boots, but I also think it's worth noting that it was quickly corrected, and that the speed of the correction MAY have indicated that it was a mistake.

I do agree that a certain amount of damage is done regardless of the correction, and I hate that it happened because it gave a tremendous amount of cover to what is (IMO) an extremely mendacious operation.

I honestly don't have a real handle on the ethics of the Russian dossier story, nor what damage it did to Trump. I think it actually tends to mitigate the damage of the Russia issue in general, since the obvious silliness of the golden showers part of it tends to discredit the whole thing, which—in my opinion—might well contain some true and ultimately damaging stuff. It's a gift to him, because he can holler about fake news and use the whole incident to discredit media outlets who actually had the documents for months and made an ethical call to sit on them.

I know that you're younger and I can't hold it against you, but to someone who lived through the Clinton years (as an adult or close enough to it) it's some combination of funny and depressing to hear this one little nugget described as the worst thing in the history of EVAR. **** like this happened on a daily/weekly basis for eight years. Some single- and/or anonymously-sourced story would pop up in a right-wing media outlet and soon the mainstream press would be uncritically covering it because "hey, it's out there." This went on for years.

I fear that the pace of the flow of information has only increased and with that the opportunities for lax journalism and actual maliciously intended misinformation have only increased. But Trump knows that perfectly well, as he's a practitioner of it. Hell, Kellyanne Conway's husband was one of the "elves" who leaked erroneous information about the Paula Jones case to the media. So let's be clear-eyed about the players and about the game and not jump straight to hyperbole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Raw Story Verified account
    ‏@RawStory

Neo-Nazi Richard Spencer doesn’t want you to call him a Nazi: It’s ‘a historical term’
    http://ow.ly/OhR4308fm4g

Graham Linehan ‏@Glinner 34m34 minutes ago

Graham Linehan Retweeted Raw Story

If you don't want to be called a Nazi, don't be a ****ing Nazi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    There is a lawsuit against the state of Texas based on its Voter ID law. The federal district court found that the law was discriminatory in its intent and its effect. A conservative appeals court agreed that the law was discriminatory in its effect, but did not rule on intent. The case was bumped back down to the district court. It was due for a hearing next week. The Trump Justice Department filed for a delay in the hearing. Based on the public statements of the AG-designate, it's quite likely that the Justice Department will not pursue the case. If they do not . . . that's a real impact to civil rights that's happened within hours of DJT's assumption of office.

I long for the day when black or brown or yellow or red or purple folks can get a voter id card at the same place that the white folks do. #NeverTrump #NotMyPresident #NoJusticeNoPeace #FreeTheNipple

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I long for the day when black or brown or yellow or red or purple folks can get a voter id card at the same place that the white folks do. #NeverTrump #NotMyPresident #NoJusticeNoPeace #FreeTheNipple
    Well, there's more to these laws than voter ID. The drafting process for the NC law studied what mechanisms allowed for likely D voters to vote and specifically targeted those mechanisms. Do you think that's a violation of civil rights? Is that something that you're willing to defend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    ‏@RawStory

Neo-Nazi Richard Spencer doesn’t want you to call him a Nazi: It’s ‘a historical term’

What does advocating for laws that lead to mass incarceration that is used to target one specific ethinicity make a person?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    ‏@RawStory

Man, as much as I agree the guy who punched him deserves assault charges, that was sure a whole lot of fun to see.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-23-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Jason Isbell tweeted, I paraphrase that he " once cheered on when an asshole at a pool hall got the **** kicked out of him.
    That was over a pool game --- this is/was over supporting an ethos that perpetrated genocide "

Trump invited these people to his inaugriation -- wondering aloud, had Obama invited the New Black Panthers
    or Reverend Wright for that matter
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-23-2017 at 10:59 AM.