Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wall

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It is not speculation that 90+ % of drugs come in from POE's. These are facts. A wall will not affect this whatsoever. And considering how much money the government makes from the drug trade, it's unlikely to change any time soon.
    Please share the support for this statistic.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Well, you didn’t, but this is from the 2016 Republican platform: “The border wall must cover the entirety of the southern border and must be sufficient to stop both vehicular and pedestrian traffic”
    Is that supposed to mean something to me?

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    I feel freedom lover is down to abolish Ice then with that logic and I applaud him

Things that make you go hmmm

January 2017 - GOP majority
    January 2017 Wall not an emergency
    etc..

January 2019 EMERGENCY!!!
    Trump is a master of distraction. He's going hard for the wall to turn attention away from Mueller IMO. I don't have any emotional attachment to the issue - I'm fine if the wall gets built and fine if it doesn't. But he's turned the issue into a "crisis" because the investigation is winding down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I am reading talk of overriding a Trump veto.
    Those things aren't floated unless there is a path
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Or we could let the airports do it rather than the federal government?
    Somebody still likely continue to expend tax dollars on the service. I can't speak for everywhere else, but the primary airport in Minnesota is run by the Metropolitan Airports Commission and I wouldn't be surprised if that model isn't in place throughout the country. If not, my guess is the airlines would really jack up ticket prices to pay for the service.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I am reading talk of overriding a Trump veto.
    Those things aren't floated unless there is a path
    Can't override a Trump veto if McConnell never sends him a bill to veto.
    Forever Fredi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-13-2019)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Found this interesting... not that it wasn't already obvious that Trump has caused all democrats (and many Rs) to completely abandon their principles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    This is what coordinated propaganda gets you. A shining example is how Super/Golfly think its stupid for someone on Long Island to care about Illegal Immigration when we have MS-13 killing teenage girls here. They don't know about these things and its scary.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Found this interesting... not that it wasn't already obvious that Trump has caused all democrats (and many Rs) to completely abandon their principles

I have a different take on this. People can talk about border security in good faith.

But the wall is now a symbol. And symbols have a way of becoming sacred. It is sacred to Trump's base. And it has become sacred to a lot of people who stand in opposition to him. How did it happen? Well it has become part and parcel of a program to demonize an entire population with words likes rapists and murderers. Expressing a preference for more immigrants from Norway and fewer from ****hole countries is part of it too.

So now you have a large number of people dug in on both sides of this issue. McConnell told Trump that even if Schumer and Pelosi were interested in a deal to fund the wall that they would not be able to get the votes from their caucus. It would be political suicide for them. McConnell's right about that.

I'm convinced there are sensible steps to improve border security and our immigration system that can get bipartisan support. But somehow we have to find a way to make the discussion less theocratic.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-14-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I have a different take on this. People can talk about border security in good faith.

But the wall is now a symbol. And symbols have a way of becoming sacred. It is sacred to Trump's base. And it has become sacred to a lot of people who stand in opposition to him. How did it happen? Well it has become part and parcel of a program to demonize an entire population with words likes rapists and murderers. Expressing a preference for more immigrants from Norway and fewer from ****hole countries is part of it too.

So now you have a large number of people dug in on both sides of this issue. McConnell told Trump that even if Schumer and Pelosi were interested in a deal to fund the wall that they would not be able to get the votes from their caucus. It would be political suicide for them. McConnell's right about that.
    I don't disagree that you're right about this... but I disagree with changing your position because of a bad human who espouses the same one.

As is, I don't think the dems have argued in good faith... have they publicly supported ANY immigration initiative?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I don't disagree that you're right about this... but I disagree with changing your position because of a bad human who espouses the same one.

As is, I don't think the dems have argued in good faith... have they publicly supported ANY immigration initiative?
    Well...as I belatedly added to the post you quoted, I think there are sensible steps that can get bipartisan support. But the approach has to change. Maybe the Republicans can bypass the president. That seems to be the most promising route at this point.

The compromise that might be available is to re-open government and appoint a commission to come up with some proposals for improving border security and the immigration system. Get people talking to each other in a rational way.

I think the Congress was moving toward immigration reform until Cantor got primaried. Its been dead since. But there is still a reasonable compromise available if people negotiate in good faith.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-14-2019 at 05:58 PM.

"I am your retribution."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

The Dems last yeae offered him a wall for DACA protections. He turned it down.

Ever since then, they've had Pence using the "waiting for the courts to rule on DACA" line because Trump was too dumb to turn it down.

As nsacpi said the wall has become a symbol of demagoguery. Not only that, it's only going to get torn down in 20 years.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post

Ever since then, they've had Pence using the "waiting for the courts to rule on DACA" line because Trump was too dumb to turn it down.

As nsacpi said the wall has become a symbol of demagoguery. Not only that, it's only going to get torn down in 20 years.
    It did nothing about the VISA lottery (what a dumb way to let people into your country) as well as Chain migration.

Having anything other than a merit based system is absurd. What other elite institution lets people inside without merit?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

2 years.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It did nothing about the VISA lottery (what a dumb way to let people into your country) as well as Chain migration.

Having anything other than a merit based system is absurd. What other elite institution lets people inside without merit?
    well chain migration for many of us is family reunification...but there are other reforms that i think can be part of a bipartisan deal...for example, i think everyone pretty much agrees that you want to make it easier to have highly skilled workers come in...and a migrant farm labor program makes a lot of sense too...and a better tracking system to discourage people from overstaying their visas

"I am your retribution."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

Well, if 45 wasn't so busy trying to sell everyone on the wall, then we could have a rational discussion about the lottery and chain.

How can you blame the Dems for negotiating with a child. He wants a wall, they offered to give his wall in exchange for DACA. He said no.

Trump had majorities in both chambers for 2 years. He got the tax cut act passed no problem. He could have gotten the wall if he wanted. The way McConnell and Ryan bent over to him for almost 2 years. If the wall and border is a big national emergency he should have spent his political capital early on, on that instead of the tax act, aca repeal attempts, and issuing all of the executive orders just to spite Obama.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Well, if 45 wasn't so busy trying to sell everyone on the wall, then we could have a rational discussion about the lottery and chain.

How can you blame the Dems for negotiating with a child. He wants a wall, they offered to give his wall in exchange for DACA. He said no.

Trump had majorities in both chambers for 2 years. He got the tax cut act passed no problem. He could have gotten the wall if he wanted. The way McConnell and Ryan bent over to him for almost 2 years. If the wall and border is a big national emergency he should have spent his political capital early on, on that instead of the tax act, aca repeal attempts, and issuing all of the executive orders just to spite Obama.
    He offered MORE DACA then the Democrats proposed but wanted to take out Chain Migration and VISA Lottery. Who balked at that?
    Natural Immunity Croc

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    well chain migration for many of us is family reunification...but there are other reforms that i think can be part of a bipartisan deal...for example, i think everyone pretty much agrees that you want to make it easier to have highly skilled workers come in...and a migrant farm labor program makes a lot of sense too...and a better tracking system to discourage people from overstaying their visas
    Family reunification is something I'm ok with. I'm sure it has affected yours as well as my own relatives.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Agree with all of your proposals but we can't just let anyone blindly in because they have US citizens in their family. It should ADD to their merit based system so they will get benefit from it but it should not be the only basis to let someone into the country.
    Natural Immunity Croc

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Agree with all of your proposals but we can't just let anyone blindly in because they have US citizens in their family. It should ADD to their merit based system so they will get benefit from it but it should not be the only basis to let someone into the country.
    I don't think you quite understand how chain migration works. They don't just let anyone blindly in.
    Forever Fredi