Thanked in
    5,861 Posts

MLB Pipeline Top 10 SS: Swanson #2, Maitan #7

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,861 Posts
    I don't agree with Torres being listed ahead of Swanson.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah I don't either. Seems like Swanson is what you hope Torres turns out to be, except Swanson already has (limited) success in the majors.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Torres has more upside. He already has more power than Swanson does at two years younger

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Torres has more upside. He already has more power than Swanson does at two years younger
    According to some. I don't think that's universal. He's also only in A ball. Long ways to go there.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    According to some. I don't think that's universal. He's also only in A ball. Long ways to go there.
    He is riding a ton of hype.. most of which was because he was a big piece of a trade. That helped with his helium.. He is good, but not sure top 5 in all MiLB quite yet.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Torres ahead of Swanson is pretty dumb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I get that even putting Maitan on there is flattering, but 7?

I think being on there at all is probably premature.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

It definitely feels like a little too much too quickly. Sano barely cracked the top 100 before he played stateside, and it looks like Maitan will be ranked higher than Sano was after a year of playing well in rookie ball. I do believe Maitan is a slightly better prospect right now than Sano was when he signed, but it's an aggressive ranking. That said, it is pretty likely Maitan will hit well in rookie ball, and once he does, he'll fly up rankings, so I guess you might as well go ahead and start moving him up.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts

agreed!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

Law had him 59 as well. I'm wondering if the reports from Instructs suggest that the more optimistic views of his ability to stick at Shortstop were more accurate. I know almost every prospect writer says you don't learn a whole lot from Instructs, but if a 16-year-old comes in and looks like he belongs, it might bump up his value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Law had him 59 as well. I'm wondering if the reports from Instructs suggest that the more optimistic views of his ability to stick at Shortstop were more accurate. I know almost every prospect writer says you don't learn a whole lot from Instructs, but if a 16-year-old comes in and looks like he belongs, it might bump up his value.
    We will find out soon enough. I can't imagine the Braves would waste development time at SS for a guy whose bat is supposed to be special, so the position switch should come quickly if it's needed. If it's obvious his longterm home is 3B, then move him there immediately and let him progress rapidly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We will find out soon enough. I can't imagine the Braves would waste development time at SS for a guy whose bat is supposed to be special, so the position switch should come quickly if it's needed. If it's obvious his longterm home is 3B, then move him there immediately and let him progress rapidly.
    I think you leave him at SS until he forces you to do something else, whether it's poor fielding or his bat needs to get to Atlanta. As much as we all love Dansby, it's no sure thing that he is the long-term answer at SS, and if Maitan proves he can handle SS, we should keep that option on the table.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    At the risk of riling the doubters up, I think the present ETA Pipeline references is a bit conservative as well - not that it shouldn't be.

I think the current brass is showing a return to not being as afraid to push kids - fast enough that they may be able to experience some adversity at lower levels, hoping to catch another fast-riser like Druw or Furcal. Given the amount of time in the limelight Maitan likely has the makeup to handle being "rushed" as well as Swanson has.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think there's a chance that, if he plays well, Maitan is up by the end of 2019.

2017 - rookie ball, possible taste of A-ball
    2018 - A to A+
    2019 - AA, and if he plays well, ready for the call-up

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I think you leave him at SS until he forces you to do something else, whether it's poor fielding or his bat needs to get to Atlanta. As much as we all love Dansby, it's no sure thing that he is the long-term answer at SS, and if Maitan proves he can handle SS, we should keep that option on the table.
    Just me, but I think the presence of Dansby and Albies are even more reason he'll be shifted to 3B relatively quickly - if he proves he can handle the move defensively as well as most think he can, he'll come really fast.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Do they still intend to keep him at short for the time being?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Just me, but I think the presence of Dansby and Albies are even more reason he'll be shifted to 3B relatively quickly - if he proves he can handle the move defensively as well as most think he can, he'll come really fast.
    I just think that's a poor way to handle assets and minimize risk. If Maitan can handle SS in the Minors, you leave him there until you cannot do so anymore. I am all for moving him to Third quickly if he's struggling at SS, but if that's not the case, I say let him stay there until a move is necessary. That way you keep the pipeline fulfilled at SS and keep his value as high as possible if the circumstances dictate moving him.