Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Law's Top 100 Prospect Rankings

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Are we sure Demeritte is not on this list? AFL performance was pretty notable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I've watched a good bit of video on Newcomb and his walks look to be related to his mechanics getting out of whack. He'll cruise for several innings, his delivery will look absolutely smooth, and he'll be hitting the catcher's glove. Then suddenly things will get out of sync for some reason, he loses his release point, and he starts walking the world. It reminds me of a young Kimbrel in that respect.

Mike Scocia got to see him in ST one year and agrees about him losing his release point. ""He needs some refinement," Scioscia said. "He has to find his release point. Part of it is, 'How do you get back in sync when you lose it?' There's a lot of things in a pitcher's progression that he needs to figure out.""

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article...n-angels-cuts/

Considering Newcomb's relative inexperience at the position, it's not surprising he'd still have points where he gets out of sync and loses his release point. The good thing is that's something that should get better with experience.
    It's certainly confusing how a big bodied left handed pitcher who doesn't allow home runs or hits while strikin out more than a batter per inning is not talked about more.
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (01-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Extemely doubtful and I don't think he deserves it right now. Contact issues are huge detriments to a hitters success. I want guys with relatively low strikeout rates in the minors

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, I don't see any way Demeritte is higher than guys like Fried, Anderson, Maitan, Newcomb, etc. I think he's about 12-15 in our system right now.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I've watched a good bit of video on Newcomb and his walks look to be related to his mechanics getting out of whack. He'll cruise for several innings, his delivery will look absolutely smooth, and he'll be hitting the catcher's glove. Then suddenly things will get out of sync for some reason, he loses his release point, and he starts walking the world. It reminds me of a young Kimbrel in that respect.

Mike Scocia got to see him in ST one year and agrees about him losing his release point. ""He needs some refinement," Scioscia said. "He has to find his release point. Part of it is, 'How do you get back in sync when you lose it?' There's a lot of things in a pitcher's progression that he needs to figure out.""

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article...n-angels-cuts/

Considering Newcomb's relative inexperience at the position, it's not surprising he'd still have points where he gets out of sync and loses his release point. The good thing is that's something that should get better with experience.
    opposite of most of what I've read and what Klaw said. He said he couldn't see any changes to make.

The road to ATL podcast had the announcer from his minor team and he made it sound like he got board in the middle the game.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It's certainly confusing how a big bodied left handed pitcher who doesn't allow home runs or hits while strikin out more than a batter per inning is not talked about more.
    I really don't think its that confusing; he walked 71 in 140 innings as a 22 year-old in AA.

I like a lot about Newcomb, the strikeouts, how he finished the season, the stuff but he does need to get his walks lower and even then; its not like Law is killing the guy - he still has him as a top-100 prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Its an interesting list; I would have Maitan lower, I don't know if either is on the list but I prefer Soroka > Touki (I imagine neither make it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I really don't think its that confusing; he walked 71 in 140 innings as a 22 year-old in AA.

I like a lot about Newcomb, the strikeouts, how he finished the season, the stuff but he does need to get his walks lower and even then; its not like Law is killing the guy - he still has him as a top-100 prospect.
    Agree that he's not killing him.

I think thethe's point is that:
    1. 22 is not that old for AA....What is the avg age, 22-23?
    2. He's a big guy and they tend to take longer
    3. He's a lefty and they tend to take longer
    4. He's a cold weather guy with less innings and they tend to take longer
    5. He's a combo of 2-4.

walking 4-5 per 9 is not good.
    I don't watch those games. I don't know if he's got bad umps or he's throwing it to the backstop. I don't know if guys are going deep into counts with him b/c they can't hit him and are just trying to work walks. I don't know anything.

But Go Hard being before him is confusing. Go Hard seems to be the same guy just younger and with a rumored shoulder issue. I know younger is often better on these lists but he's also been at lower levels of the minors.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Its an interesting list; I would have Maitan lower, I don't know if either is on the list but I prefer Soroka > Touki (I imagine neither make it).
    One of Soroka/Touki basically has to be on the list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    opposite of most of what I've read and what Klaw said. He said he couldn't see any changes to make.

The road to ATL podcast had the announcer from his minor team and he made it sound like he got board in the middle the game.
    Newcomb's walks tended to come in bunches. He'd just lose his release point and not be able to hit anything.

I can understand KLaw saying he doesn't see any obvious changes because when Newcomb is repeating his delivery with a consistent release point, he's fine. His motion is simple and smooth. There's nothing you'd want to change. It's just getting his mechanics and release point consistent. That takes reps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Klaw is still skeptical about TD given his high strikeout rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    If I remember correctly, Klaw is still skeptical about TD given his high strikeout rate.
    IIRC Klaw called him a flawed prospect. Said that we did great to get him for nothing but the K rate was a big time concern. That was before AFL.

Klaw does prefer upside. And he loves to stick it to Dave Stewart. So I can see Touki up there. Touki did great late, but that could be turning a corner or SSS.

I like both, but I'm higher on Soroka. I just think Soroka's floor is an avg starting pitcher in MLB. And I think he could be really good pitcher, especially if by the time he gets up we have defenders closer to Ender, Swanson, Albies than Kemp and Garcia.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Newcomb's walks tended to come in bunches. He'd just lose his release point and not be able to hit anything.

I can understand KLaw saying he doesn't see any obvious changes because when Newcomb is repeating his delivery with a consistent release point, he's fine. His motion is simple and smooth. There's nothing you'd want to change. It's just getting his mechanics and release point consistent. That takes reps.
    Sometimes I play resident expert and I'm not. MY EYEBALL...the post above is almost spot on. However, I'm a NEWK fan through and through. I didn't see anybody including Allard, Soroka, Wiegel last year that had consistent "you can't hit me stuff" more than Newk. I'm serious. The walks are notable and you can't ignore them. However, when batters did touch the ball when he threw strikes, their contact was weak. Very weak. IF he figures it out, the conversation is much different.

I saw Rome a lot last year. And I saw MS a few times. I think Newk is suffering from prospect fatigue and the walks. If it weren't for that, he'd be our top lefty with an argument for Allard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I still find it very fun that these are the conversations we're having about what is likely our 10th ranked prospect on a national list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Sometimes I play resident expert and I'm not. MY EYEBALL...the post above is almost spot on. However, I'm a NEWK fan through and through. I didn't see anybody including Allard, Soroka, Wiegel last year that had consistent "you can't hit me stuff" more than Newk. I'm serious. The walks are notable and you can't ignore them. However, when batters did touch the ball when he threw strikes, their contact was weak. Very weak. IF he figures it out, the conversation is much different.

I saw Rome a lot last year. And I saw MS a few times. I think Newk is suffering from prospect fatigue and the walks. If it weren't for that, he'd be our top lefty with an argument for Allard.
    That's the thing. Outside of watching him pitch the analysis is pretty easy for me. What's his size and are guys getting hits off of him. His batting average against indicates that guys just can't barrel up the ball on him at all.

It's a great indicator of future success in my opinion.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I still find it very fun that these are the conversations we're having about what is likely our 10th ranked prospect on a national list.
    The super front office did an incredible job.

The criticism has been they went for quantity over quality but if you look at guys like swanson/newcomb/fried/etc... you'll see the braves were able to accomplish both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Remember Blair was top 40 last year on this list and Jenkins made the just missed list.

Also Ellis and Sims were both top 100 at some point for Law. It's not a guarantee of any future value.

Just re-read Klaw's last year's list (Touki on it at 80) and it's amazing Blair then vs Blair now.
    Last edited by Russ2dollas; 01-25-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

The criticism has been they went for quantity over quality but if you look at guys like swanson/newcomb/fried/etc... you'll see the braves were able to accomplish both.
    I think the quantity over quality argument is simply a dated one that some clutched to for too long. We had a lot of low level talent that is starting to advance, and have continued to fill the pipeline with more high upside young talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Agree, I don't think the Braves ever said 'we are just going after quantity' there were deals they got more quantity and deals they got more quality -- and in some cases they did both. The FO did a great job up to this point.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    One game does not a turnaround make, but I watched with awe Aaron Blair's final start against as desperate Detroit team that was not yet eliminated from the playoffs. Blair's line: 6 innings, 4 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 10 (count 'em) strikeouts. Despite the big strikeout total, he threw only 85 pitches.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (01-25-2017)