Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Wasn't touki on his top 100 last year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think people are still sleeping on Soroka. Guy has a nice pitch mix, the frame, and peripherals to be a durn good pitcher. Guys can't barrel him up as is and has only allowed 3 hrs (I think) in his pro career to date. Not walking guys either...

I read on FG that he's no more than a #4 I think, and if so, he would be the most solid #4 in the game if he progresses. Maybe in a rotation with Allard, Newcomb, Julio, Folty, Touki he would be a 4\5!
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Wasn't touki on his top 100 last year?
    Yes, I think he was 90 last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Soroka doesn't wow you with a high 90s fastball or a Touki like curve. That gets him overlooked by a lot of people. But he's not out there throwing 87 and just getting guys out by being crafty. His stuff is solid and he projects to have excellent command. Capping his ceiling as a #4 is a mistake. I think he has the potential to be a a mid-3's ERA workhorse in the majors. Maybe even better than that if his secondary stuff continues to improve.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    If there's any publication I don't trust anymore regarding prospects, it is Fangraphs.

He didn't have the kind of K-rate in A-ball you usually see from a top prospect, but he was also 18. It's possible he could repeat A this year and make that jump to 11 or so. I know he'll start in A+, but it seems too early in his development to say he'll never be more than a 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    If there's any publication I don't trust anymore regarding prospects, it is Fangraphs.

He didn't have the kind of K-rate in A-ball you usually see from a top prospect, but he was also 18. It's possible he could repeat A this year and make that jump to 11 or so. I know he'll start in A+, but it seems too early in his development to say he'll never be more than a 4.
    We took fsngraphs lifeblood for prospect evaluation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Soroka doesn't wow you with a high 90s fastball or a Touki like curve. That gets him overlooked by a lot of people. But he's not out there throwing 87 and just getting guys out by being crafty. His stuff is solid and he projects to have excellent command. Capping his ceiling as a #4 is a mistake. I think he has the potential to be a a mid-3's ERA workhorse in the majors. Maybe even better than that if his secondary stuff continues to improve.
    If anything it helps his likelihood of contributing in the majors more than others with a flash pitch that have to develop secondary offerings. Guy could continue to outpitch the rankings. I think he likely will.
    Ivermectin Man

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    We took fsngraphs lifeblood for prospect evaluation.

Keith law has been **** on for over a decade by this and the other board for anti-braves bias. Now he says nice things about the braves prospects and all is forgiven?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

thewupk (01-26-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Keith law has been **** on for over a decade by this and the other board for anti-braves bias. Now he says nice things about the braves prospects and all is forgiven?
    Mostly because he was proven right about how awful Wren was.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Mostly because he was proven right about how awful Wren was.
    I'm pretty sure he just disagreed with safe picks like Mike Minor. Something several posters on here agreed with but were mocked for because it went against the organization.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    First, what does thethe's comment have to do with Keith Law?

Second, Law never had anti-Braves bias. He clearly has a certain way of valuing prospects that ran counter to the way our former FO did. Sometimes he turns out really wrong, like with Freeman and Sale, but he does a fairly good job overall, and you know what you're getting with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    First, what does thethe's comment have to do with Keith Law?

Second, Law never had anti-Braves bias. He clearly has a certain way of valuing prospects that ran counter to the way our former FO did. Sometimes he turns out really wrong, like with Freeman and Sale, but he does a fairly good job overall, and you know what you're getting with him.
    Agree.
    On Minor Law said he was wrong on him b/c he didn't think Minor would have the velocity increase he did. He didn't have FF or Goldschmit high. I think he's pretty clear that all the way 1B don't rate as high for him. I think the ranking of the kid from the Mets may be him re-calibrating after those two have done so well.

I am surprised Touki went from ranked to not ranked. I think he moved forward last year. Still unlikely.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Agree.
    On Minor Law said he was wrong on him b/c he didn't think Minor would have the velocity increase he did. He didn't have FF or Goldschmit high. I think he's pretty clear that all the way 1B don't rate as high for him. I think the ranking of the kid from the Mets may be him re-calibrating after those two have done so well.

I am surprised Touki went from ranked to not ranked. I think he moved forward last year. Still unlikely.
    Others simply progressed more. Not a slam on him; not everyone will advance at the same pace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Agree.

He values upside so it's still possible touki is on this list
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I don't think anyone can put Touki in the top 20.......that would be crazy.

I don't think ppl progressed more. There are a lot of recent draft picks on here. Guys like Maitan and Acuna who haven't done as much but the helium is there for other reasons.

Klaw's job is to predict the future. that is always as hard job. Especially hard with baseball prospects. Even harder with prospects that sign as teenagers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think it's the same deal as with Newcomb. Every year guys like that don't fix the control problems is one year closer to them never figuring it out.

Touki did end the year much better than he finished it, and I'm higher on him than I was last year, but I can't blame someone for not being quite as high on him. He'll turn 21 this year, and he'll start in A+. That's not the normal profile of a top prospect. He absolutely won't be in the top 20, there's not even a chance of that happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    most recent Buster Olney podcast has Law.

Law said he got through 30 prospects with ATL that he thinks all have big league value and that's never happened. Probably could have gone a few more. Did say Yanks have higher ceiling and Pads may too but Pads are to young.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Preacher (01-26-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    most recent Buster Olney podcast has Law.

Law said he got through 30 prospects with ATL that he thinks all have big league value and that's never happened. Probably could have gone a few more. Did say Yanks have higher ceiling and Pads may too but Pads are to young.
    Damn. That's incredible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts

When Farnsworth was their guy their prospect stuff was awful. He's the one that ranked some AAAA pitcher #1 for the Braves.

Now that Longenhagen is there it is probably the best prospect site out there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Just stop man. Touki is not Top 20 on any list. Turn the homerism down a notch or two.