Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Law's Top 100 Prospect Rankings

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We took fsngraphs lifeblood for prospect evaluation.
    When MLB teams hire guys from other sites, we can talk about how great those sites are. Until then, FG is the best source of baseball info available to the public.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    When MLB teams hire guys from other sites, we can talk about how great those sites are. Until then, FG is the best source of baseball info available to the public.
    How many guys from FG have been hired away by MLB teams?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    When Farnsworth was their guy their prospect stuff was awful. He's the one that ranked some AAAA pitcher #1 for the Braves.

Now that Longenhagen is there it is probably the best prospect site out there.
    Longenhagen was at MLB.com, right? I didn't love their prospect stuff, either. I think FG was the best, I think that's probably BP now.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    HQ was/is the best site. Half of thier minor league prospect staff became scouts.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Longenhagen was at MLB.com, right? I didn't love their prospect stuff, either. I think FG was the best, I think that's probably BP now.
    Longenhagen was at ESPN last. I don't think he was an MLB.com guy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Longenhagen was at ESPN last. I don't think he was an MLB.com guy.
    I am very stupid.

I looked him up, saw posts with 'MLB' and came to the logical conclusion that if someone is writing about MLB, he must be doing it for MLB.com.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    How many guys from FG have been hired away by MLB teams?
    Well the Braves hired one, and someone snapped up ***erstrom recently. That's in the last year.

How many guys got hired from ESPN or BA? Zero? How many from BP? How about clv's marvelous site? Still zero?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Well the Braves hired one, and someone snapped up ***erstrom recently. That's in the last year.

How many guys got hired from ESPN or BA? Zero? How many from BP? How about clv's marvelous site? Still zero?

Well teams generally pay junior front office staff **** compared to what they could make elsewhere.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    While I'd agree it's certainly not a bad thing that FG has guys get snatched up by MLB teams, one must remember that there's a difference between providing solid baseball knowledge in a way that fans can consume it and actually having any value to bring to the scouting table.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts

There have been a few from BP.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/yet-...-mlb-team.html

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

But does their departure not indicate that the site may be worse now than it was before? I get that it indicates hiring practices that are well suited to getting knowledgeable guys, but all it really proves is that their information used to be put out by guys MLB wanted.

Law himself worked for both BP and an MLB team. Does that make BP better, or his own stuff? Or does it just prove he couldn't hack it in MLB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Swanson comes in at No. 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Swanson comes in at No. 2.
    Wow. That's impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm still mad at us winning meaningless games and getting the 3rd pick and missing out on Senzel.

Klaw lower on Moncada than I thought....ranking is there but the words show more concern IMO. He's always love Golito. Kopech write up and rank surprises me. I was thinking his ceiling was Folty or Samarja.

SS in the NL East looks stacked for a long time.

Swanson write up still worries me a little...I'm hoping he hits enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm still mad at us winning meaningless games and getting the 3rd pick and missing out on Senzel.

Klaw lower on Moncada than I thought....ranking is there but the words show more concern IMO. He's always love Golito. Kopech write up and rank surprises me. I was thinking his ceiling was Folty or Samarja.

It's going to be rough watching Senzel turn into an above average third baseman in the next couple years, knowing we missed out by one pick. And we'll probably feel pretty similar with the draft this year, picking fifth when we could've been second with just one extra loss.

I was a little concerned by the Swanson write up, too. It certainly didn't sound like the write up of the #2 prospect in baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    It's going to be rough watching Senzel turn into an above average third baseman in the next couple years, knowing we missed out by one pick. And we'll probably feel pretty similar with the draft this year, picking fifth when we could've been second with just one extra loss.

I was a little concerned by the Swanson write up, too. It certainly didn't sound like the write up of the #2 prospect in baseball.
    it's concerning when everyone seems to say he's just a guy but he has magical Vandy powers. Especially with Turner already looking like a star and Crawford about to be in Philly. Mets have a top 20 SS. We will see. I'm more confident Alibies will hit. Just wish one of them had a power stroke.

I know that babip was high but I don't remember a lot of Chris Johnson bloopers for Swanson.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

I don't want you to just paste premium content, but any way you can sort of summarize what he said about Moncada, Dansby, and Kopech?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I don't want you to just paste premium content, but any way you can sort of summarize what he said about Moncada, Dansby, and Kopech?
    Here's a blurb from Dansby's:

At the plate, Swanson is going to strike out more than the typical hitter of this profile, so while he has doubles power and will add value on the bases, he’s going to have to raise his contact rate to become a real asset at the plate. His debut in Atlanta was boosted by a .383 BABIP that he’s not going to repeat, although I think he has enough feel to hit that he'll post BABIPs above league average. He’s a high-floor guy with some low-probability ceiling -- at worst, a solid-average major league shortstop right now, and potentially an All-Star given some changes in his approach at the plate.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think that's a pretty good writeup. It's a given that he'll have to cut down on the Ks to keep his BA where it was because of the high BABIP. But I also think that's pretty likely. He'll K some, but I don't see any reason to believe it will stay above 20%.

The fact that his floor is a solid-average SS and his ceiling is an All-Star is pretty stinking nice.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think that's a pretty good writeup. It's a given that he'll have to cut down on the Ks to keep his BA where it was because of the high BABIP. But I also think that's pretty likely. He'll K some, but I don't see any reason to believe it will stay above 20%.

The fact that his floor is a solid-average SS and his ceiling is an All-Star is pretty stinking nice.
    I think that take on Dansby is pretty spot on. And I'm inclined to think that that ceiling is more likely bet than the floor. FWIW, I also think he'll maintain a higher-than-average BABIP if his approach stays consistent. What I don't care for so much are the Jeter/Larkin comps.