Thread: International talent in the system

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

International talent in the system

Can't think of another time with this much legit international talent in the system.

Albies, Acuna, Didder, Ventura, Pache, Cruz, Ricardo Sanchez, Gohara, Maitan, Severino, Guiterrez, Soto, Pena, Contreras, Del Rosario, and Yepez. I'm sure I'm missing a couple as well.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Can't think of another time with this much legit international talent in the system.

Albies, Acuna, Didder, Ventura, Pache, Cruz, Ricardo Sanchez, Gohara, Maitan, Severino, Guiterrez, Soto, Pena, Contreras, Del Rosario, and Yepez. I'm sure I'm missing a couple as well.
    Like that you used the word LEGIT. That's the change, that's the difference.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (02-13-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    It's true. Gotta respect our international scouts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    speaking of our international talent.... I can't wait to see this J2 class spring into action this year.

With the spotlight shining so brightly and for so long on Maitan --- a lot of our other kids we signed last year have gotten overshadowed, but Atlanta signed 7 players to big-time bonuses (at least 800k) - that's six dudes besides Maitan that are considered big-time players for their age. Also there's always a handful of 300K type signings and those can yield some studs as well (Acuna/Albies)...

Just a quick reminder;

Yunier Severino - SS - Signed for $1.9 million
    Switch hitting SS with considerable power projection and athletic defensive tools - any other year and this guy would be the headliner of the class. BA had him ranked #8 in the entire class, personally I'm probably more excited to see Severino in action than even Maitan just because we've heard so much about Maitan and Severino has the tools to be a stud in his own right. Again.... ONE point NINE million - that's a big investment.

Abrahan Gutierrez - C - $3.5 million
    Didn't take the steps forward he was projected too, but early on his comps were very lofty and enough to warrant an extremely big offer from the Braves, in a system lacking catchers..... this could be the answer.

Livan Soto - SS - $1 million
    Apparently he's grown into his body some and has high marks for both his bat control and his defense. Another up the middle infielder with some intriguing tools.

Yenci Pena - SS/3B - $1 million
    Some people seem to think he has more of a 3B future than SS, but reports are he has both bat control and power projection.

Juan Contrereas - RHP - $1.2 million
    Tall/lanky and a 16 year old with a 91-95 MPH fastball and at least some feel for a slider. Definitely a power arm to keep an eye on and someone the Braves can bring along slowly.

Yefri Del Rosario - RHP - $800K
    Another young pitcher with a low-90s fastball already in his arsenal.

And of course...
    Kevin Maitan - SS - $4.25 million

Will also be interesting to see if Braulio Vasquez can build on his debut from last year in the DSL;
    99 ABs, .333/.416/.374 22 SO, 11 BB, 11 SB, 2 2B, 1 3B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Very interested to see where they play all of these middle infielders, the Braves like starting their high-ticket international signings in the GCL, but with Severino, Soto, Pena, Maitain and Vasquez all needing ABs its going to get crowded.

Maybe something like GCL

2B - Severino
    SS - Maitan
    3B - Pena/Soto
    C - Gutierrez

DSL
    SS - Soto/Pena
    2B - Vasquez

If Maitan/Severino rake in the GCL, they likely move up later in the year and one of the kids from the DSL could move up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    What about Osvaldo Hernandez? 18 year old lefty southpaw from Cuba just got cleared to be an international FA. The Braves are interested as well as 3 or 4 other teams and he's being pressed to sign this period before the July 2nd deadline so he can get more money. I really hope the Braves go hard after this kid since the spending won't be the same pretty soon on these international guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    What about Osvaldo Hernandez? 18 year old lefty southpaw from Cuba just got cleared to be an international FA. The Braves are interested as well as 3 or 4 other teams and he's being pressed to sign this period before the July 2nd deadline so he can get more money. I really hope the Braves go hard after this kid since the spending won't be the same pretty soon on these international guys.
    The Padres have snapped all these Cubans up lately, considering they are over the bonus as well, I'd bet he lands there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised by that either. The big thing for the Braves is the rebuild here is over pretty much and they are looking to contend at this point so we should snatch these guys up every chance we get bc our draft picks should get lower and lower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised by that either. The big thing for the Braves is the rebuild here is over pretty much and they are looking to contend at this point so we should snatch these guys up every chance we get bc our draft picks should get lower and lower.
    totally agree, I honestly wonder if they have the money to go get someone like this.

Towards the end of the international signing period last year it was like Atlanta ran out of steam when some kids popped up, I've always wondered if that was Liberty setting a hard limit on what they could spend.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I don't think the rebuild is over and I'm not convinced the bribes are trying to contend.

I expect a lot of trades of veterans on one or two year deals this season for prospects.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't think the rebuild is over and I'm not convinced the bribes are trying to contend.

I expect a lot of trades of veterans on one or two year deals this season for prospects.
    What info do you know?!?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

I've read some good things on William Contreras as well. He's a catcher from the 2014-2015 class.