Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Opening Day Roster Taking Shape

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    While I am very much against trying to short circuit the rebuild, I could see a Q trade under the right circumstances such as the Sox deciding to take a little less if they can shed some payroll.

If they would do a Sheilds, Frazier, Quintana deal for something like Folty, Newcomb, Anderson and Demeritte plus some ML filler such as 3B Garcia and 2B Peterson, I might do it.

Sheilds has negative value because of his contract and Frazier has little value because of his K's, contract and whiffs, so if they were paired with Q to move their salary, they would diminish any potential talent return.

2017 rotation could be: Q, Teheran, Garcia, Colon, Dickey and Sheilds (one of the last four at least are likely to be disabled at any time during the year), then Garcia, Colon and Dickey go away after 2017 leaving Sheilds as the 5 and the two other spots being filled internally.

Frazier starts at 3B and is either flipped at the deadline for what they can get or goes as a FA after 2017. He hits 6th after: Inciarte, Swanson, Freeman, Kemp, Markakis, Frazier, Phillips, Flowers

A talent package of Folty, Newcomb, Anderson, Demeritte is pretty far below the ask but still not bad, especially when the money is figured in. And from a Braves point of view, it really doesn't detract that much from a long term view of the rebuild.
    Southside is laughing. They want a king's ransome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Cabrera is likely to start the season on the DL due to elbow soreness... great...

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Atlanta Braves
    @Braves
    Braves have agreed to terms with RH reliever David Hernandez on a non-roster contract. He will be in camp tomorrow & will wear number 30.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Atlanta Braves
    @Braves
    Braves have agreed to terms with RH reliever David Hernandez on a non-roster contract. He will be in camp tomorrow & will wear number 30.
    Nice add. I prefer David Hernandez over Jose Ramirez. Hope he doesn't take Roe's spot though.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Nice add. I prefer David Hernandez over Jose Ramirez. Hope he doesn't take Roe's spot though.
    If healthy, Hernandez should be a lock to stick. Can't believe Giants couldn't flip him. Our front office remains vigilant, no matter what the nay-sayers are nay-saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I agree that Hernandez is a nice depth add but I'd look to trade lefty Ian Krol to make room. Krol hasn't been strong vs lefties anyway, he's did better vs righties. Plus EOF looks like he is back if he can stay healthy and Chapman and Paco are both good lefties too. I like Chapman's fastball for a lefty and think he could dominate lefties if used right. His bad years were more having a bad time vs righties and even that is uneven. Plus Braves are looking strong in lefty relief options all of a sudden depending on health. AJ Minter should move fast and he's dominate and we got lefty reliever Thomas Burrows in Mallex Smith trade and he could move fast as well.

They may hold on to Jose Ramirez because he's out of options and likely claimed if cut, esp. after he did well overall in 33 games last year in MLB. But either way Krol is the one I'd move and hopefully improve the bench in the process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    A little puzzled by the LHH OF and LH Reliever. Especially the LH reliever. I definitely endorse finding a better MI option than d'Arnaud though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-29-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    A little puzzled by the LHH OF and LH Reliever. Especially the LH reliever. I definitely endorse finding a better MI option than d'Arnaud though.

Jace and Chase are done IMO. The entire bench is garbage and needs to be re-vamped sans back up catcher.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

This is the same FO that thinks Kemp was a good addition, and Markakis is a cornerstone player.

They are starting to show they have no idea how to build a competitive 25 man roster.

If they acquire a LHed hitting 4th OFer after trading away Mallex...they are complete and utter morons.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is the same FO that thinks Kemp was a good addition, and Markakis is a cornerstone player.

They are starting to show they have no idea how to build a competitive 25 man roster.

If they acquire a LHed hitting 4th OFer after trading away Mallex...they are complete and utter morons.

Is this to pre announce the signing of Kelly J again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I figured EOF was a basic lock for the pen at this point.

Any word from Paco the guy we got back from LAD in the Wood trade? That guy alive?
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I agree the bench is bad and I could never understand the trade of Mallex for more pitching slated to start the season in the low minors (no matter what the prospect rags say about Gohara).

I'm not as down on Jace Peterson as others, but he's settling in with a ceiling of utility guy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-29-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I agree the bench is bad and I could never understand the trade of Mallex for more pitching slated to start the season in the low minors (no matter what the prospect rags say about Gohara).

I'm not as down on Jace Peterson as others, but he's settling in with a ceiling of utility guy.
    My problem with Jace is that his defense around the field is not good enough to be utility. He has probably had the worse spring amount guys who were locks.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Hope Matt Tuiaososopo makes the team. Don't know (or even much care) how good he is, but love that name!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Alternatively, maybe he meant an OF that hits left handers well and not a guy who bats left handed. In his attempt to fit the info into fewer than 140 characters, Sherman may have mistyped.

That explanation makes a whole lot more sense than the idea that the Braves are looking for yet another lefty OF for the bench.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-27-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Alternatively, maybe he meant an OF that hits left handers well and not a guy who bats left handed. In his attempt to fit the info into fewer than 140 characters, Sherman may have mistyped.

That explanation makes a whole lot more sense than the idea that the Braves are looking for yet another lefty OF for the bench.
    That could be. Getting a LHH OF would just be bizarre at this point considering they view Jace as an option in the OF and have two LHH starters that are weaker against LHP. Adding a RHH OF seems painfully obvious.

Speaking of which . . .

Angel Pagan is expected to make a decision in the next 48 hours on where he is going to sign with Toronto, SF, Padres, Atlanta and Tigers all having expressed interest. Pagan WBC performance certainly helped his value.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...258621558466-4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

Yea, that is strange but Braves love collecting lefties of late and maybe they're looking for lefty depth because they plan to trade one or two of their lefties? Just a thought. As far as LHH OF, I saw Michael Bourn was released and if they want a LHH back-up OF who can play CF he's an option. But maybe they want a power bat LHH OF? That said, d'Arnaud might clear waivers despite being out of options so I'd try sneaking him through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    That could be. Getting a LHH OF would just be bizarre at this point considering they view Jace as an option in the OF and have two LHH starters that are weaker against LHP. Adding a RHH OF seems painfully obvious.

Speaking of which . . .

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=2...258621558466-4
    Yea, what Dirk says makes more sense to me. Plus Joel Sherman could be wrong on both accounts (including the lefty reliever bit). Time may tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Bowman has mentioned Clint Robinson numerous times as someone the Braves may have interest. He is a LH-hit who has played some OF, just not very well, while being more of a back-up 1B option. So it may be they are looking for a LH-hit 1B/OF bench option with some power.

@Joelsherman1
    Adam Lind is ahead of Clint Robinson for final #Nationals bench job and Robinson is out of options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Bowman has mentioned Clint Robinson numerous times as someone the Braves may have interest. He is a LH-hit who has played some OF, just not very well, while being more of a back-up 1B option. So it may be they are looking for a LH-hit 1B/OF bench option with some power.

@Joelsherman1
    Adam Lind is ahead of Clint Robinson for final #Nationals bench job and Robinson is out of options.
    I think you may be right. They're more looking for a LH pinch hitter with power than someone who fits well into the OF depth chart platoon-wise and defensively. I suppose that's a strategy with merit, but it's not the one I prefer. I thought we did well in the Mallex trade, but when we moved him, I also thought it was a given that we'd roster another player that could legitimately cover CF. Right now, our backup CF options are probably below replacement level when you factor in defensive skills. We all love Inciarte, but he's averaged about 125 games over the past few years and has had recurring leg injuries. This just seems like a gamble that will likely come back to haunt this team (see LH relief decisions last Winter and Spring for reference).