Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I gave DJT a chance, now I'm out

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts

I gave DJT a chance, now I'm out

I voted HRC in the election. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't really all that impressed by her, but I figured I knew what she was and Trump could have been anything. When Trump won, I was skeptically optimistic that maybe once he was in office he would surround himself with enough good voices that he would enact enough sound policies that it would make up for who he was as a person.

With this ban on Muslim immigration, I'm out on him. I gave him a chance and he disappointed.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 01-28-2017 at 02:28 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

CK86 (01-29-2017), goldfly (01-28-2017), jpx7 (01-30-2017), Julio3000 (01-28-2017), Prikichi (01-30-2017), The Chosen One (01-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Atleast he acknoledges the threat. I dont want a President who blames people for offending Muslims as the reason for things like Bengahzi. I think we need to make a point to offend then so we know who the crazies are. If you are willing to kill for your religion you are a threat.

I have worked with several people from Iran who were good people. I am fine with taking non muslims or muslims who dont take it seriously.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Do you just let any Muslims in your house before opening the door and seeing their Muslim?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I dont anyone in my home..... when I had one. I dont even answer the door.

It’s over."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (01-29-2017), The Chosen One (01-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't see how you can go about this any differently. There is a real threat out there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Peoppe are more upset with Trump for blocking immigrants from these countries than they were with Obama for bombing them. If there is no threat from people in these countries why were we bombing them?

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't see how you can go about this any differently. There is a real threat out there
    It's wrong thethe

It's unambiguously, morally wrong.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-28-2017), CK86 (01-29-2017), jpx7 (01-30-2017), Julio3000 (01-28-2017), mqt (01-28-2017), Prikichi (01-30-2017), The Chosen One (01-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    If you think we have freedom if religion try inventing your own and see how much people respect it. Its more like freedom to choose one of the major religons of the world.

I like how I am the bad guy for not wanting people who think women are property and that there are acceptable situations where you can rape and beat women into the country. We just need an effective way to filter out the ones that feel that way. Even if they dont go out and rape women I am worried about them voting their beliefs. I dont want to give people voting rights who refuse to vote for a woman or employ women.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 01-28-2017 at 01:59 PM.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It's wrong thethe

Yes on the face it is wrong.

We don't live in a perfect world and tough choices need to be made. This will make us safer.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If you think we have freedom if religion try inventing your own and see how much people respect it. Its more like freedom to choose one of the major religons of the world.

I like how I am the bad guy for not wanting people who think women are property and that there are acceptable situations where you can rape and beat women into the country. We just need an effective way to filter out the ones that feel that way. Even if they dont go out and rape women I am worried about them voting their beliefs. I dont want to give people voting rights who refuse to vote for a woman or employ women.
    We can't solve Islam's problems. The moderate Islamic people need to stand up for themselves. In the meantime we need to make sure our people are safe. The Muslims that are here are here. Can't do anything about that and we shouldnt. But we absolutely need to prevent more potential terrorists from entering the country

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    The ban is ridiculous and Republican leaders need to speak up.

Unfortunately, a conservative, small party no longer exists in this country

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-28-2017), CK86 (01-29-2017), jpx7 (01-30-2017), Julio3000 (01-28-2017), mossy (01-28-2017), rniki10 (01-28-2017), Tapate50 (01-28-2017), The Chosen One (01-28-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i hear ya Chop

could see how it was going to go when he started naming cabinet picks but it's truly a sad day to call ourselves citizens of this country

and his quote while signing it is just utterly pathetic:

" "I'm establishing new vetting measures to keep radical Islamic terrorists out of the United States of America. We don't want 'em here.""

it's like he thinks anyone wants terrorists here.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (01-29-2017), CK86 (01-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It's wrong thethe

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But I would note two things:

1. Upon what standard is this "unambiguously, morally wrong"? Strong language.

2. Secondly, the standard to which I would appeal is the law of God (in the Judeo-Christian sense) as seen through and applied by the teaching of Christ and his apostles (i.e., NT ethic). Upon that standard love of neighbor is a moral imperative of highest order. Yet, love of neighbor, can be argued for the refugee, the foreigner, the sojourner, etc., and next door neighbor and family. And so, I think we should debate to what extent we should go to protect our neighbors from those who might be seeking their destruction. Now of course, when you actually look at the chances we and our neighbors are actually threatened, they are infinitesimally small. And so, in my opinion, using appropriate vetting procedures, we ought to extend love to the potential neighbor and not bar immigration.

That said, I'm not sure how terrible a 90 day waiting period is actually and I would say that I do appreciate that the Trump administration versus the previous administration, isn't going to discriminate against Christian refugees. No matter the rhetoric of the previous administration, their actions effectively gave immense preference to Muslim refugees over Christian. Why give preference to either?
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 01-28-2017 at 02:06 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-30-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I wanted to start a "give him a chance" thread earlier, so I'm glad you've started the ball rolling.

This executive order is just staggering, both in its effect and its conception. It appears to have originated from WH policy people and not been passed through State or DHS. It is hard to imagine that professionals--of any political stripe--would sign off on an immigration ban that prevents current green card holders and those on valid visas from re-entering the country. This is what comes of an uncritical adherence to the idea that we're somehow better off with amateurs and so-called outsiders running the show. Never mind that I think that this policy is misguided and xenophobic in even its narrowest interpretation, the fact that it apparently applies to folks who have already been approved to live, work, and contribute to American society is just hard to fathom.

Also in that raft of executive orders is a paragraph that directs DHS thusly:

"...on a weekly basis, make public a comprehensive list of criminal actions committed by aliens and any jurisdiction that ignored or otherwise failed to honor any detainers with respect to such aliens."

Godwin's Law is snapping at my heels right now.

Republicans in Congress seem content to go along with this as long as they get their tax cuts and repeal of the ACA. When is the pivot going to happen? When is this pragmatic, non-ideological Trump going to emerge?

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (01-29-2017), jpx7 (01-30-2017), mqt (01-28-2017), The Chosen One (01-28-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I wanted to start a "give him a chance" thread earlier, so I'm glad you've started the ball rolling.

This executive order is just staggering, both in its effect and its conception. It appears to have originated from WH policy people and not been passed through State or DHS. It is hard to imagine that professionals--of any political stripe--would sign off on an immigration ban that prevents current green card holders and those on valid visas from re-entering the country. This is what comes of an uncritical adherence to the idea that we're somehow better off with amateurs and so-called outsiders running the show. Never mind that I think that this policy is misguided and xenophobic in even its narrowest interpretation, the fact that it apparently applies to folks who have already been approved to live, work, and contribute to American society is just hard to fathom.

Also in that raft of executive orders is a paragraph that directs DHS thusly:

"...on a weekly basis, make public a comprehensive list of criminal actions committed by aliens and any jurisdiction that ignored or otherwise failed to honor any detainers with respect to such aliens."

Godwin's Law is snapping at my heels right now.

Republicans in Congress seem content to go along with this as long as they get their tax cuts and repeal of the ACA. When is the pivot going to happen? When is this pragmatic, non-ideological Trump going to emerge?
    I agree with all this... shocking action

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (01-29-2017), jpx7 (01-30-2017), Julio3000 (01-28-2017), The Chosen One (01-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with you. But I would note two things:

1. Upon what standard is this "unambiguously, morally wrong"? Strong language.

2. Secondly, the standard to which I would appeal is the law of God (in the Judeo-Christian sense) as seen through and applied by the teaching of Christ and his apostles (i.e., NT ethic). Upon that standard love of neighbor is a moral imperative of highest order. Yet, love of neighbor, can be argued for the refugee, the foreigner, the sojourner, etc., and next door neighbor and family. And so, I think we should debate to what extent we should go to protect our neighbors from those who might be seeking their destruction. Now of course, when you actually look at the chances we and our neighbors are actually threatened, they are infinitesimally small. And so, in my opinion, using appropriate vetting procedures, we ought to extend love to the potential neighbor and not bar immigration.

That said, I'm not sure how terrible a 90 day waiting period is actually and I would say that I do appreciate that the Trump administration versus the previous administration, isn't going to discriminate against Christian refugees. No matter the rhetoric of the previous administration, their actions effectively gave immense preference to Muslim refugees over Christian. Why give preference to either?
    That's pretty easy for us to say, as we sit in safety and comfort. Why do it at all?

Also, who's to say it won't directly cost lives?

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (01-29-2017), goldfly (01-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    That's pretty easy for us to say, as we sit in safety and comfort. Why do it at all?

Also, who's to say it won't directly cost lives?

It may - but hopefully it won't. Wish all the anti-ISIS players would carve out temporary safe havens for refugees in any interim period.

The reason I stated it was because as of yet - this isn't a permanent ban but a hold. So, it's not as bad yet as it's being portrayed and hopefully will be dumped soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    It may - but hopefully it won't. Wish all the anti-ISIS players would carve out temporary safe havens for refugees in any interim period.

The reason I stated it was because as of yet - this isn't a permanent ban but a hold. So, it's not as bad yet as it's being portrayed and hopefully will be dumped soon.
    I hope so. I also think it will take a push from all sides to make that happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Btw, this: link

May we all use this time wisely - advocating for sanity, compassion, and justice. And working to be ready to extend a personal hand to refugees - not just a government hand.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (01-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Every politician who has ever praised our military for "promoting democracy and our way of life around the world" should stand up against this.

This is not what we stand for or should be about. The sad thing is a lot of the same people who stand there and say we need this to protect against a terrorist attack will shrug their shoulders at our next school shooting.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

CK86 (01-29-2017), jpx7 (01-30-2017), mossy (01-28-2017), Runnin (09-16-2020), The Chosen One (01-28-2017)