User Tag List

Page 18 of 81 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 1607

Thread: Political Correctness

  1. #341
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 4,302 Times in 2,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol.

  2. #342
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 4,302 Times in 2,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Nah, your response to mqt was straight bull****. I appreciate your clarifications, but dang, dude...it seems pretty obvious.
    What seems obvious?

  3. #343
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,395
    Thanks
    6,273
    Thanked 9,501 Times in 4,983 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your reflexive contempt and mockery for an innocuous sentiment. The pointing out of which, apparently, greviously offends you.

  4. #344
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 4,302 Times in 2,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I mean, yeah, it does offend me when people make ignorant and racially offensive statements like 'our society only perceives success for people of color related to a few professions'. (What the ****? I'm sorry, but what rock are you living under?)

    It does offend me when people presume that a significant portion of the populace doesn't already reinforce, embrace, and value racial equality.

    And I think what offends me the most is that when I questioned those tired and warped assertions the best you could do to defend your 'convictions' was to go for the easy cheap shot, which is below you on so many levels.
    Last edited by Hawk; 10-19-2017 at 06:13 PM.

  5. #345
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 4,302 Times in 2,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't see the sentiment as innocuous. I see it as a kind of perpetuating condescension.

  6. #346
    A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,395
    Thanks
    6,273
    Thanked 9,501 Times in 4,983 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I don't see the sentiment as innocuous. I see it as a kind of perpetuating condescension.
    I understand that point of view, but it seems like a mote in the eye compared to the beam in thine.

  7. #347
    10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,976
    Thanks
    3,058
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 986 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Julio, sure you want to use that reference?

  8. #348
    if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,130
    Thanks
    3,188
    Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Not to mention—and I'm getting tired of reiterating this—people still can be "politically incorrect", still can be openly racist; it's just that, now, the subjects of that discriminating discourse can actually talk back to them.
    You're so dumb
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin. It is a very great mistake to imagine that the object of loyalty is the authority and interest of one individual man, however dignified by the applause or enriched by the success of popular actions.” Samuel Adams

    "In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" George Orwell

  9. #349
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,047
    Thanks
    25,600
    Thanked 5,400 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to say, @Hawk, that I think part of the issue we're running against is that it's sometimes hard to know what to do with your wild incredulity (cf. self-reportedly not seeing how folks could validly find less than national pride, or something more complicated than just sense of community in the flag/anthem)—given that you're obviously a smart and discerning guy. I get that it's probably some sort of Socratic performance, but in certain instances that strains my credulity.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

  10. #350
    Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    4,339
    Thanked 4,302 Times in 2,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw it, I could sympathize with it, but I was never compelled by the argument(s) made here on that particular score.

    And I’m extremely reasonable and often far too easily persuaded.

    The same general feeling is applicable to the assertions half-assedly made in this thread. I understand the underlying components of the base argument being made - I just want to read someone actually put it all together in an honestly substantive and constructive way.
    Last edited by Hawk; 10-20-2017 at 03:16 AM.

  11. #351
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,701
    Thanks
    4,334
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 655 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    In a perfect world this wouldn't be necessary. However, we don't live in a perfect world, and until we do I will support taking critical looks to increase diversity in areas where there historically hasn't been much.
    I won't say this as eloquently as it needs to be said, but hopefully it's understood that I mean it constructively.

    There comes a point where trying to force and mandate the proper level of diversity in all things becomes counterproductive. The things we are discussing, and often mocking, in this thread is the type of stuff that got us Republican nominee and President Trump. Call it dog whistling, code words, or whatever you like, but the man picked up on and then spoke to a growing resentment of these issues in his campaign.

    Yes, I know conventional wisdom is the Van Jones 'whitelash' theory that this was all due to having a black president. That theory falls apart under the lightest scrutiny. Why didn't the whitelash occur in 2008 to prevent the black man from reaching the highest position, if we as a nation are really so racist? Why didn't it occur in 2012 when Republicans nominated their most electable candidate since Reagan, and were still soundly beaten? The idea that the racists popped out to protest the black guy after he was no longer a candidate is just hogwash. Anecdotally, I know several genuine rednecks that Obama 08 because "we need change," and Obama 12 because "Republicans won't work with him." Then they voted Trump in the primary and the general because "he isn't afraid to tell it like it is."

    That vague sentiment is rampant today, and it wasn't caused by the guy they helped elect. It's caused by the people telling them they are racist despite their vote for him, it's caused by hearing about colleges using formulas that give priority to a racial mix instead of merit, by being told that straight dudes should be attracted to other dudes who dress up as chicks as long as that "chick" wants to be a chick, by being told their accomplishments don't count because white privilege, that their perspective is worth less due to their skin color. In a nutshell, they are mad because they are treated exactly as they are told they should not treat others, judged as part of a group instead of as an individual. Now people can try to justify that in any top lofty social justice academia equality way that they want, but it won't change the result. At some point, if we want society to prove itself worthy, we have to trust it to be worthy. Remove the training wheels, let go of the handlebars, and let us find balance.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

    acesfull86 (10-20-2017),jpx7 (10-20-2017),sturg33 (10-20-2017)

  13. #352
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,131
    Thanks
    3,759
    Thanked 3,832 Times in 2,790 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I won't say this as eloquently as it needs to be said, but hopefully it's understood that I mean it constructively.

    There comes a point where trying to force and mandate the proper level of diversity in all things becomes counterproductive. The things we are discussing, and often mocking, in this thread is the type of stuff that got us Republican nominee and President Trump. Call it dog whistling, code words, or whatever you like, but the man picked up on and then spoke to a growing resentment of these issues in his campaign.

    Yes, I know conventional wisdom is the Van Jones 'whitelash' theory that this was all due to having a black president. That theory falls apart under the lightest scrutiny. Why didn't the whitelash occur in 2008 to prevent the black man from reaching the highest position, if we as a nation are really so racist? Why didn't it occur in 2012 when Republicans nominated their most electable candidate since Reagan, and were still soundly beaten? The idea that the racists popped out to protest the black guy after he was no longer a candidate is just hogwash. Anecdotally, I know several genuine rednecks that Obama 08 because "we need change," and Obama 12 because "Republicans won't work with him." Then they voted Trump in the primary and the general because "he isn't afraid to tell it like it is."

    That vague sentiment is rampant today, and it wasn't caused by the guy they helped elect. It's caused by the people telling them they are racist despite their vote for him, it's caused by hearing about colleges using formulas that give priority to a racial mix instead of merit, by being told that straight dudes should be attracted to other dudes who dress up as chicks as long as that "chick" wants to be a chick, by being told their accomplishments don't count because white privilege, that their perspective is worth less due to their skin color. In a nutshell, they are mad because they are treated exactly as they are told they should not treat others, judged as part of a group instead of as an individual. Now people can try to justify that in any top lofty social justice academia equality way that they want, but it won't change the result. At some point, if we want society to prove itself worthy, we have to trust it to be worthy. Remove the training wheels, let go of the handlebars, and let us find balance.
    This is too good. Because the left doesn't understand how the everyday man or women thinks they chalk it up to racism.
    Warm feelings guy!

  14. #353
    It's OVER 5,000! 57Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13,716
    Thanks
    1,322
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " everyday men and women "

    is that the same as

    "working men and women "

    you do understand the dog whistle attached to both ---- right ?
    “You still don’t get it. It ain’t about your money, bro.” - Omar

  15. #354
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,131
    Thanks
    3,759
    Thanked 3,832 Times in 2,790 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    " everyday men and women "

    is that the same as

    "working men and women "

    you do understand the dog whistle attached to both ---- right ?
    Just because you say it doesn't make it so. Keep making everything identity politics and watch election loss after election loss pile up.

  16. #355
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,131
    Thanks
    3,759
    Thanked 3,832 Times in 2,790 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And just the assumption that everyday man or women doesn't include all types of Americans is racist in it of itself.

  17. #356
    It's OVER 5,000! 57Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13,716
    Thanks
    1,322
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aren't we in the PC thread talking about identity politics ?

    Just because one recognizes insensitive forms of bigotry does not make one a racist.
    I understand what people of your political stripe are talkng about when they say " everyday working men and women " it is a thin veil.
    If your intent was innocent then apologize for not being clear and say what you mean

    After reading your thoughts over the years ... your point is crystal clear
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-20-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    “You still don’t get it. It ain’t about your money, bro.” - Omar

  18. #357
    It's OVER 5,000! Tapate50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    4,717
    Thanked 2,796 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    aren't we in the PC thread talking about identity politics ?

    Just because one recognizes insensitive forms of bigotry does not make one a racist.
    I understand what people of your political stripe are talkng about when they say " everyday working men and women " it is a thin veil.
    If your intent was innocent then apologize for not being clear and say what you mean

    After reading your thoughts over the years ...
    Good Lord.
    "No thanks, I'd rather sit in the balcony" - Abe Lincoln

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

    Jaw (10-20-2017)

  20. #358
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,131
    Thanks
    3,759
    Thanked 3,832 Times in 2,790 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to apologize because you incorrectly interpreted my intentions? That's an interesting approach.

    My stance is clear. I want all Americans to prosper. That's only going to happen when we implement policies that benefit Americans above all else.

    Only through economic independence can we achieve equality and that is always going to be my goal.

  21. #359
    It's OVER 5,000! 57Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13,716
    Thanks
    1,322
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that in another thread you mentioned " other crimes are still being committed at disproportionate rates by minorities. There are other factors that need to be addressed such as the lack of a father figure and lack of economic independence. "

    are those everyday people or could they be working people with single parent households ?
    You used minorities -- as if no Caucasians are in this group ?
    I live in the rural south by the way

    You are either writing bigoted thoughts or woefully inarticulate.
    ...............

    No not for your intentions but for not making your intentions clear.
    Like the post said
    It isn't hard
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-20-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    “You still don’t get it. It ain’t about your money, bro.” - Omar

  22. #360
    Shift Leader thethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34,131
    Thanks
    3,759
    Thanked 3,832 Times in 2,790 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because I present facts you get offended? The fact that the left tries to shut this down is part of the reason we can't solve problems. But keep using this outdated approach as minorities see a drastic improvement of their situation under trump.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •