I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    https://www.thecut.com/2017/10/the-m...sculinity.html

The Men Taking Classes to Unlearn Toxic Masculinity

So earlier this year, Hicks signed up for the pilot Rethink Masculinity class, a partnership between the Washington, D.C., Rape Crisis Center, Collective Action for Safe Spaces, and ReThink, an organization that works to prevent sexual assault.

The program bills itself as a class where men “learn how social constructs of masculinity harm them and the people around them, and work to construct healthier masculinities.” Or, as Hicks puts it, “It was eight weeks of guys discussing how they can address their actions with better self-awareness and less toxicity.”

“We spoke of emotional labor, consent, violence, communication, empathy, and vulnerability,” he adds, noting that the last subject, in particular, was a struggle for him: “[I was] trained and conditioned to be tough growing up.”
    There’s no doubt that the problems these classes aim to tackle are pervasive ones — a reality that’s been made especially, painfully clear in recent days and weeks, as the Harvey Weinstein revelations have pushed discussions of sexual assault and harassment to the forefront. But can a class really be enough to chip away at something so deeply entrenched?
    On the other hand, though, these classes are taking on a lot. Trying to undo a lifetime’s worth of lessons about how to act at home, in the workplace, and in public — it’s a lofty goal, especially when so much of what participants encounter outside the classroom contradicts what they learn within it. And some of the desired outcomes — increased vulnerability, more emotional openness — are difficult to measure.

This guy was trained to be tough growing up. The horror! The audacity! The unmitigated gall!
    I really am not sure what our future holds. Nobody is being trained to deal with controversy anymore... I wonder if employers will soon be so empathetic and nice to everyone, or if these kids will be in for such a rude awakening that they won't be handle the real world after the school playground lets them go.

If I ever do have kids, I do believe I will be homeschooling, or at the very least, ensuring they are not subjected to such a fragile coddling of emotions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I really am not sure what our future holds. Nobody is being trained to deal with controversy anymore... I wonder if employers will soon be so empathetic and nice to everyone, or if these kids will be in for such a rude awakening that they won't be handle the real world after the school playground lets them go.

If I ever do have kids, I do believe I will be homeschooling, or at the very least, ensuring they are not subjected to such a fragile coddling of emotions.
    I can speak from first hand experience and tell you that there are still good public schools out there, although it may depend heavily on state. We toured all of the nearby elementary schools before my oldest started kindergarten and then made a decision on where she would attend. The beauty of locally controlled school districts in Georgia is that the local populace can have a tremendous effect on what goes on in the school system and even the individual schools.

College will be tougher due to the extremist culture that has flourished there with tenure emboldening so many radicals to push their views. By the time my kids get to college I expect a faith based school to be the only option that isn't just me paying to send my kids to a leftist reeducation camp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Love that this is the cause the left is chanpioning. They will get laughed out of office.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Can't believe this article insinuates that science tells us there are differences in genders

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (10-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    oh my

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    as goldy reminded us earlier, this thread is only for us to admit that we're racists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    I am curious if the lefties on this board are proud of the movement being waged from their ilk, or if they too think it's crazy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    These are all old, but I laughed too hard to keep them to myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/24...ssor-says.html

“School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean Theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans," she says, according to Campus Reform.

She also says that addressing equity in mathematics education will come when teachers can understand and negotiate the politics outside the classroom.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as white,” she writes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.thehoya.com/students-call-defund-love-saxa/

Students opposed to the student group Love Saxa plan to present a petition to the Student Activities Commission on Monday, demanding the advisory board strip the group of its funding and no longer grant it access to campus facility benefits on grounds that it holds intolerant and hateful beliefs.

Love Saxa, a group that advocates for marriage between a man and a woman, returned as an active student group this year, after spending a year in restoration, the process by which a group recovers its access to benefits.

Jasmin Ouseph (SFS ’19) submitted a formal notice to Assistant Dean for Student Engagement Erika Cohen Derr on Sept. 25, arguing Love Saxa’s definition of marriage and relationships violates the Division of Student Affairs’ Student Organization Standards, which disavows groups that foster hatred or intolerance.
    GU Pride President Chad Gasman (COL ’20) and David Friedman (COL ’20), president of Georgetown University Queer People of Color, joined Ouseph in her complaint.
    Gasman said the request to defund Love Saxa returned following a viewpoint in The Hoya written by Irvine (“Confessions of a College Virgin,” The Hoya, Sept. 8, 2017, A3). Love Saxa has had a tenacious relationship with queer student groups on campus since protests in 2013 led by then-GU Pride President Thomas Lloyd (SFS ’15). Love Saxa took a year hiatus in spring 2016 after members did not submit a budget.

“‘Confessions of a College Virgin’ seemed to be a good article about the problems of hookup culture and the idea of abstinence in college, which I don’t think is objectionable at all,” Gasman said. “It’s fine if you want to remain abstinent in college, but at the same time she decided to use that article as a platform to espouse her homophobic ideology, which wasn’t relevant at all to the idea.”

In the opinion piece, Irvine defended Love Saxa’s exclusionary definition of marriage.

“Marriage is a conjugal union on every level — emotional, spiritual, physical and mental — directed toward caring for biological children,” Irvine wrote. “To us, marriage is much more than commitment of love between two consenting adults.”

Hate speech bolded for the sake of clarity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/24...ssor-says.html

“School mathematics curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean Theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans," she says, according to Campus Reform.

She also says that addressing equity in mathematics education will come when teachers can understand and negotiate the politics outside the classroom.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as white,” she writes.
    There is no end to leftist loonacy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    “Marriage is a conjugal union on every level — emotional, spiritual, physical and mental — directed toward caring for biological children,” Irvine wrote. “To us, marriage is much more than commitment of love between two consenting adults.”

Hehe. Just biological children, huh?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    There is no end to leftist loonacy.
    I'll ask again - are the lefties on this board propud of this movement? Or think it's crazy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'll ask again - are the lefties on this board propud of this movement? Or think it's crazy?
    Of course they do. The purpose of their movement is to radically change how we live because it's racist.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    prisonplanet
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-25-2017)