Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1885

Thread: Political Correctness

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The better example is considering that transgender is healthy and celebratory rather than a mental illness
    It’s been a while, I almost forgot this thread was basically Sturg Thinks Thoughts About Transgendered People.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    soo....am I the only one who thinks the left should be castigated for willfully suspending belief on the science regarding genetically modified foods
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    soo....am I the only one who thinks the left should be castigated for willfully suspending belief on the science regarding genetically modified foods
    Nah, it’s very dumb.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (09-12-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    It’s been a while, I almost forgot this thread was basically Sturg Thinks Thoughts About Transgendered People.
    I'd the under on that being the majority of my posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'd the under on that being the majority of my posts
    and to be fair you had a lot of help

"I am your retribution."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I generally agree, but there’s a little more to it than that, particularly as it intersects with politics. It’s to some degree similar to the anti-vaccine movement—there are a lot of hippies and your crunchier lefties with the same general thoughts about that issue as uber-Christian homesteader homeschool types. Or even with libertarians, as it becomes an issue of personal liberty. A lot of it is based on mistrust of monopolistic, unethical, price-fixing corporate entities effectively controlling what and how we eat.

Like, I wouldn’t dream of not vaccinating my kids. Herd immunity is sound science and sound social policy, but I get the objection to the status quo where profit motive and industry money get drugs to market in a way that may not be in the public’s interest. Similarly, there’s some reasonable objections to Big Ag’s approach to competition, intellectual property, and regulatory capture which can be extended to fearmongering and conspiracy theory and dystopian nightmares, but are well-grounded nonetheless.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-12-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Cool. Not happy being 5'10. I now say I'm 6'3
    You still seem fuzzy on the difference between biological sex and gender.

The reason that some people evangelize for acceptance of transgendered folk is the correlation between personal and societal acceptance and positive mental health outcomes. Basically, the more a trans individual is recognized and accepted as their gender identity, the less likely they are to struggle with depression, anxiety, etc. You’re positing that transgenderism itself is a mental disorder, but the weight of professional opinion is that it be categorized as such only insofar as the condition itself causes severe mental distress. Contemporary study of the issue indicates that, broadly speaking, it doesn’t.

I do wonder, as in the cases of polticians wanting to become the bathroom police, why you seem to care so much. Like last time this came up, I’d suggest you take a good-faith look at the other side of the coin and read some primary sources or talk to some people with firsthand knowledge of the issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post

The reason that some people evangelize for acceptance of transgendered folk is the correlation between personal and societal acceptance and positive mental health outcomes. Basically, the more a trans individual is recognized and accepted as their gender identity, the less likely they are to struggle with depression, anxiety, etc. You’re positing that transgenderism itself is a mental disorder, but the weight of professional opinion is that it be categorized as such only insofar as the condition itself causes severe mental distress. Contemporary study of the issue indicates that, broadly speaking, it doesn’t.

I do wonder, as in the cases of polticians wanting to become the bathroom police, why you seem to care so much. Like last time this came up, I’d suggest you take a good-faith look at the other side of the coin and read some primary sources or talk to some people with firsthand knowledge of the issue.
    If it is not related to biology, then why do many wish to change their bodies with sex organ changes?

I care because we are now teaching children not only what it is, but that it is normal and to be celebrated. Nobody responded to jaw's study a few pages back, despite me calling that out once already.

We wouldn't teach our kids that they should be super fat and lazy. We wouldn't teach them to do drugs or drink alcohol. But we teach them that biology is no longer real...

I genuinely feel bad for these people and hope they can get the mental help they need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post

If social acceptance is such a determining factor, I have to wonder why this is only now becoming a suicide epidemic at the only point in human history that it has been in any way socially acceptable.

I also find it interesting that so many transgender people were apparently suppressing their condition throughout human history without cracking under the strain that we are only discovering now that it's a political issue.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (09-12-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    If social acceptance is such a determining factor, I have to wonder why this is only now becoming a suicide epidemic at the only point in human history that it has been in any way socially acceptable.

I also find it interesting that so many transgender people were apparently suppressing their condition throughout human history without cracking under the strain that we are only discovering now that it's a political issue.
    how far back do the suicide data for that particular group go back

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    how far back do the suicide data for that particular group go back
    It wasn't much of a group until it's recent popularization, so probably not very far. My hope is that the shine soon wears off and it is replaced by something akin to the less destructive youthful cries for attention that preceded it: tattoos, mohawks, nose rings, fluorescent hair, Tide pods.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It wasn't much of a group until it's recent popularization, so probably not very far. My hope is that the shine soon wears off and it is replaced by something akin to the less destructive youthful cries for attention that preceded it: tattoos, mohawks, nose rings, fluorescent hair, Tide pods.
    A rough analogy comes to mind. A generation or two ago the phenomenon of PTSD among soldiers and other survivors of trauma was not well understood. We did not collect data on it. Men came back from war broken and some people tried to help and others just shrugged. Doesn't mean PTSD did not exist among Civil War vets, WWI vets or WWII vets. Or that somehow the more recent generation of vets coming home was different or weaker. We just have a different understanding of what they have been through. So probably if you look at the suicide data on PTSD victims, I suspect it is not very informative. Because it wasn't even collected on that basis until recently. But I doubt fifty years from now that PTSD is viewed as a "passing phase."
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-13-2018 at 08:30 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    A rough analogy comes to mind. A generation or two ago the phenomenon of PTSD among soldiers and other survivors of trauma was not well understood. We did not collect data on it. Men came back from war broken and some people tried to help and others just shrugged. Doesn't mean PTSD did not exist among Civil War vets, WWI vets or WWII vets. Or that somehow the more recent generation of vets coming home was different or weaker. We just have a different understanding of what they have been through. So probably if you look at the suicide data on PTSD victims, I suspect it is not very informative. Because it wasn't even collected on that basis until recently. But I doubt fifty years from now that PTSD is viewed as a "passing phase."
    I would argue that we knew PTSD existed and that it had a clear cause and effect, it just hadn't been named or studied. Everyone in my generation knew someone that was "messed up" when they came back from Vietnam, just like we now know someone with PTSD from the Gulf.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I would argue that we knew PTSD existed and that it had a clear cause and effect, it just hadn't been named or studied. Everyone in my generation knew someone that was "messed up" when they came back from Vietnam, just like we now know someone with PTSD from the Gulf.
    Yeah. And my point is everyone in our generation has known someone who was "androgenous" (it is after all a very old word and a similar one exists in many languages) and everyone in our grandparents' generation also knew someone who was androgenous (to use some old fashioned terminology).

But to claim that somehow suicide rates in that population tells us anything about what it was like to be androgenous in the good old days doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-13-2018 at 09:53 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Maybe I've lived a sheltered life, but I never met anyone androgenous until the several that I have encountered over the past couple of years.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Maybe I've lived a sheltered life, but I never met anyone androgenous until the several that I have encountered over the past couple of years.
    I remember as a college student I had a summer job in the early 80s and someone at work pointed someone else out and identified that person as a "shim"

But even before that I think there were androgenous people who simply lived their lives out in a way that did not call attention to who they were. As I said androgenous is a very old word with equivalents in many languages.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...university.php

Two weeks ago Professor Lisa Littman of Brown University’s department of behaviorial and social sciences published an article on PLoS One, a well-regarded, peer-reviewed online scientific journal, with the title “Rapid-onset gender dysphoria in adolescents and young adults: A study of parental reports.” Before proceeding, know that Prof. Littman is not tenured at Brown.

I’ll post immediately below the abstract and conclusion (and the whole study is available—no paywall or subscription requirement if you want to look at the whole thing), but I’ll reduce the main finding of this study to one sentence: evidence suggests that the recent sharp rise in the number of young adolescents declaring themselves to be transgender appears to be correlated with peer group enthusiasm along with intense social media activity. To be blunt, it is a fad, like eating Tide pods.
    Brown University’s public relations department sent out a press release promoting the article for the sensible reason that a PLoS One is a serious journal. They obviously didn’t recognize that Prof. Littman had stepped on the academic equivalent of a third rail: touch this subject and you die, because it threatens to undermine the “authenticity” of gender identity politics, though there is considerable incoherence about this whole matter, since “gender” is said to be arbitrary and up to you to determine for yourself.
    Prof. Littman is merely saying that there appears to be a social component to the trend that may be unrelated to underlying, inherent biological or psychological realities. In other words, in some cases, transgender identity is indeed “socially constructed,” which makes you wonder why someone should object to her article, since “social construction” is all the rage for the postmodern left.

But object they did, of course. The predictable thing has happened: following an angry response from the “transgender community,” Brown University has withdrawn their press release and issued an abject apology for transgressing transgender orthodoxy. PLoS One is also going to conduct a post-publication review of the article (even though it went through their peer review process) because of the avalanche of protests it has received.
    Bumping this since it seems so many folks missed it

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Bumping this since it seems so many folks missed it
    Prof. Littman is merely saying that there appears to be a social component to the trend that may be unrelated to underlying, inherent biological or psychological realities. In other words, in some cases, transgender identity is indeed “socially constructed,” which makes you wonder why someone should object to her article, since “social construction” is all the rage for the postmodern left.

Looking at these two sentences, I think I would agree with the first one. I would note that the first sentence does not state there is no underlying inherent biological basis. Just that a component is unrelated to that basis.

And then in the second sentence there is the phrase "in some cases." That is also probably true. But to claim the whole thing is socially constructed is a big leap. I don't even think the Professor Littman is claiming that. But her work is being used by people who would like to make the claim.

Science is a very valuable thing. It does get misconstrued at times. It even gets twisted for ideological purposes by people other than the scientists. That has a long and sometimes unfortunate history.

Does anyone think that Professor Littman's work is consistent with the claim that all this is a fad? That's not my take on her work.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-13-2018 at 10:35 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

Looking at these two sentences, I think I would agree with the first one. I would note that the first sentence does not state there is no underlying inherent biological basis. Just that a component is unrelated to that basis.

And then in the second sentence there is the phrase "in some cases." That is also probably true. But to claim the whole thing is socially constructed is a big leap. I don't even think the Professor Littman is claiming that. But her work is being used by people who would like to make the claim.

Science is a very valuable thing. It does get misconstrued at times. It even gets twisted for ideological purposes by people other than the scientists. That has a long and sometimes unfortunate history.

Does anyone think that Professor Littman's work is consistent with the claim that all this is a fad? That's not my take on her work.
    There was a post dozens of pages ago where children psychatrists posited that children would never even think to question their gender without being told to, and our teachers are now teaching little kids about it.