I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

Political Correctness

Bill Maher nails it... warning for language

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-30-2017), Runnin (01-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Agreed I watch bill Maher often despite his political views.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I have always liked Maher. I dont agree with his policy views a lot but I respect people who are intellectually honest and are not afraid to say what they believe even if it is not popular. Abolisitionists were hated in the South and North for advocating an end to slavery for example.

When peoppe are honest about their views we can have open and meaningful debate.

Another guy I like who is similar is Jimmy Dore. He doesnt support people just because they have a D next to their name on the ticket.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    This is the one I was telling you guys about on Friday night (after I watched it) in another thread. It's a classic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Now the left is demanding a boycott against Uber, because they had the audacity to offer people rides to and from JFK airport... rather than refusing to drive in order to boost the protests.

Uber sent out a tweet saying that since cabs were not performing rides, that Uber would suspend surge pricing so that people wouldn't get screwed over with huge fares.

After massive backlash, the Uber CEO went public with an apology.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Now the left is demanding a boycott against Uber, because they had the audacity to offer people rides to and from JFK airport... rather than refusing to drive in order to boost the protests.

Uber sent out a tweet saying that since cabs were not performing rides, that Uber would suspend surge pricing so that people wouldn't get screwed over with huge fares.

After massive backlash, the Uber CEO went public with an apology.
    Scabs.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (01-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Did they have a permit to protest? Pretty sure thats required. If I am a bad guy subject to arrest for breaking arbitrary laws then I want everyone else held to that same standard. Send the ****ing SWAT teams into these airports and arrest the criminals. Dont forget to shoot anyone who makes any sudden movements too.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Talk about nailing it, and being intellectually honest, even if it's not popular: NYTWA squares Uber, but doesn't fail to criticize Lyft, which (while ever-so-slightly fairer to its "independent contractor" workers than Uber) is nonetheless no less problematic just because it (quite opportunistically) pledged to donate a large sum to the ACLU:

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    I think I'll download the Uber app

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Talk about nailing it, and being intellectually honest, even if it's not popular: NYTWA squares Uber, but doesn't fail to criticize Lyft, which (while ever-so-slightly fairer to its "independent contractor" workers than Uber) is nonetheless no less problematic just because it (quite opportunistically) pledged to donate a large sum to the ACLU:

Awww... they are mad that a company came in a kicked their ass in product innovation and price?

Are their drivers slaves?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Are their drivers slaves?
    Their "independent contractors" aren't too many steps removed, at least in terms of the compensations and worker-protections they're afforded—though at least they're not (yet?) legally "owned".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Their "independent contractors" aren't too many steps removed, at least in terms of the compensations and worker-protections they're afforded—though at least they're not (yet?) legally "owned".
    Last I checked working for Uber is completely voluntary.

This is what drives me crazy about the left... it's a service that allows people to earn money that many of them weren't able to earn before... but because it's not enough to meet their insane standards of "fair," then it is a sweatshop

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-30-2017), Hawk (01-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

This is what drives me crazy about the left... it's a service that allows people to earn money that many of them weren't able to earn before... but because it's not enough to meet their insane standards of "fair," then it is a sweatshop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts

This is what drives me crazy about the left... it's a service that allows people to earn money that many of them weren't able to earn before... but because it's not enough to meet their [not insane at all] standards of "fair," then it is a sweatshop
    Correct.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

And if another company (enter the ****acular Lyft) chooses to join the market, and meets those standards (or at least pretends to), then those workers are free to take their services to the competition ... and we have this wonderful free marketplace with companies entrepreneurially spurred on by one another.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Though I think there are areas for common ground to be found amongst libertarians and the true left—mostly where civil liberties are concerned—this is what drives me crazy about libertarians—who I otherwise tend to find, if not more sensible, at least more intellectually-consistent than most other elements of the right: they act as if workers—whose labor actually generates the bulk of whatever value a company, corporation, or industry offers—should just be supplicatingly thankful for the mere opportunity to hawk their labor, even if for a tuppence, and otherwise pipe-down about how fair or commensurable their compensation ends up being.
    Last edited by jpx7; 01-30-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    And if another company (enter the ****acular Lyft) chooses to join the market, and meets those standards (or at least pretends to), then those workers are free to take their services to the competition ... and we have this wonderful free marketplace with companies entrepreneurially spurred on by one another.
    Often those workers are independent contractors for each corporation, because compensation from either (and even, often, both) is insufficient for living with any shred of comfort.

But hey, I'd find these types of "independent contractor" situations, and the general notion of "sharing" economics—which, under our current system, are tantamount to wage-theft—a lot more palatable if they operated on top of some basic economic protections—say actual universal health-care, a universal basic-income, government-funded access to post-secondary education, and a reformulation of taxation away from regressive sales-taxes on vital (ie non-luxury) goods.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The communist threat never died.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The communist threat never died.
    Ok, now I will be glibly dismissive:

lol

---

But yea: if you consider economic justice to be your enemy, then you should be afraid: because the combination of (a) tepid, establishment (neo)liberals blithely knocking over progressive candles until they've blindly burned down the Democratic Party's house and (b) a right-wing autocratic santorum-stain ascending to the head of the executive branch has radicalized a lot of folks, young and old, to pursue a more truly-equitable economic ordering, as opposed to agitating for a few more band-aids on the suppurating gash of late-state capitalism. And the sort of redresses I seek—single-payer, UBI, better-subsidized post-secondary, more stringent worker-protections, increased access to the franchise for those marginalized by fiduciary or social status, restrictions on corporate financing of our elections, less regressive and more progressive taxation, less privatisation of public funds—well those are all actually pretty damn minor, pretty damn mainstream, and pretty damn still-working-within-the-established-economics compared to what a lot of those folks would entertain.
    Last edited by jpx7; 01-30-2017 at 10:13 PM.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Did they have a permit to protest?
    i must have missed where it said that in the Amendment

and i would even take it a step further that if i was a strict interpreter of the document any law saying you need a permit is unconstitutional cause the permit would fall under "Congress shall make no law"

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

25. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-30-2017)