Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Ok, now I will be glibly dismissive:

lol

---

But yea: if you consider economic justice to be your enemy, then you should be afraid: because the combination of (a) tepid, establishment (neo)liberals blithely knocking over progressive candles until they've blindly burned down the Democratic Party's house and (b) a right-wing autocratic santorum-stain ascending to the head of the executive branch has radicalized a lot of folks, young and old, to pursue a more truly-equitable economic ordering, as opposed to agitating for a few more band-aids on the suppurating gash of late-state capitalism. And the sort of redresses I seek—single-payer, UBI, better-subsidized post-secondary, more stringent worker-protections, increased access to the franchise for those marginalized by fiduciary or social status, restrictions on corporate financing of our elections, less regressive and more progressive taxation, less privatisation of public funds—well those are all actually pretty damn minor, pretty damn mainstream, and pretty damn still-working-within-the-established-economics compared to what a lot of those folks would entertain.
    Economic justice does not have a univereal meaning. It's based in the morals of the individual.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Economic justice does not have a univereal meaning. It's based in the morals of the individual.
    To some extent: yes. To some extent: no. Regardless, I listed—in practical, policy terms—what it means for me.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    To some extent: yes. To some extent: no. Regardless, I listed—in practical, policy terms—what it means for me.
    And what it means for you and sadly way too many people is completely against what America was founded on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    And what it means for you and sadly way too many people is completely against what America was founded on.
    That's simply not true. This country was founded on an ideology that is alien to either of us, and our respective ideologies would be alien to any of the men who founded this country.

You can be sad, but formulate a better reason than that.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (01-30-2017), zitothebrave (01-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    That's simply not true. This country was founded on an ideology that is alien to either of us, and our respective ideologies would be alien to any of the men who founded this country.

You can be sad, but formulate a better reason than that.
    It was founded on individual liberty and freedom. The system in which you propose sacrifices the individual for the collective.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    It was founded on individual liberty and freedom. The system in which you propose sacrifices the individual for the collective.
    You mean the country that initially only franchised land-owning males, whose economy for the first century was largely driven by chattel slavery, and whose understanding of unusual cruelty in criminal justice was being drawn by a horse and quartered?

Again: This country was founded on an ideologies that are alien to either of us, and our respective ideologies would be alien to any of the men who founded this country.

You can be sad; but formulate better, more historically-aware reasons than those.
    Last edited by jpx7; 01-30-2017 at 11:21 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-30-2017), Julio3000 (01-31-2017), zitothebrave (01-30-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It was founded on [insert some words which you consider shorthand for your political worldview].
    Now anyone can play!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    The system in which you propose sacrifices the individual for the collective.
    Also: that's not even true! Here's a good example of how we, as a nation, could fund a UBI with minimal-to-nil sacrifice of "individual for the collective."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    As Libertarian as I am I do feel lIke when we get to a certain point in automation and technology a communist system might work best.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2017), The Chosen One (01-31-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Though I think there are areas for common ground to be found amongst libertarians and the true left—mostly where civil liberties are concerned—this is what drives me crazy about libertarians—who I otherwise tend to find, if not more sensible, at least more intellectually-consistent than most other elements of the right: they act as if workers—whose labor actually generates the bulk of whatever value a company, corporation, or industry offers—should just be supplicatingly thankful for the mere opportunity to hawk their labor, even if for a tuppence, and otherwise pipe-down about how fair or commensurable their compensation ends up being.
    I assure you... with 100% certainty, that if the drivers felt the compensation was too low to justify driving, then Uber would raise their pay.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I assure you... with 100% certainty, that if the drivers felt the compensation was too low to justify driving, then Uber would raise their pay.
    Which government regulation is suppressing their pay?

I mean most people are doing it for some extra cash. It does a lot of work to your car. Everyone I know that does it is strictly side money and their compensation is better than nothing.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

I mean most people are doing it for some extra cash. It does a lot of work to your car. Everyone I know that does it is strictly side money and their compensation is better than nothing.
    I'm not sure what you are or who your arguing against here... JPX is upset that Uber drivers aren't compensated enough... I'm explaining that that they have voluntarily accepted the wage offered to them... and if they didn't, then Uber would raise the wage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I have absolutely no such faith—especially since the labor-pool of Uber et al is not sufficiently organized to even make such a cogent demand to the corporation for which they "independently contract", even if drivers independently developed the complaint. This is why unions are so important.

Honestly, as a libertarian, I'd think you'd be in favor of organized labor, and against so-called "right-to-work" laws. The former represents an entirely non-government regulatory check on the capital-side of industry—the market working to self-correct, as it were—while the latter is an example of governmental intrusion and imposition on the free workings of the market: in this case, burdensome regulation on the labor component, analogous to those burdens on the capital component you always pillory.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

The government has nothing to do with "suppressing their pay", except insofar as the misdesignation as "independent contractors" creates a lot of regulatory, benefits, and taxation loopholes for these companies employing-but-totally-not-employing those drivers.

Now, if the driver is "doing it for some extra cash" or is working to earn "strictly side money"—as a "side hustle", as Uber has taken to advertising—the effects of these loopholes and pitfalls are less dramatic, more mitigated by the fact of the driver's primary means of employment. However, while precise numbers as hard to come by, a good many rideshare drivers do depend on driving for Uber or Lyft (and often both) as their sole or primary source of income and employment. When these companies take a large cut of fares, unilaterally set (read: drop) fares for their drivers, and (in the case of Uber) discourage gratuities, margins are thin and hours are long or unsustainable. And then there's the lack of benefits and worker protections. And then there's the added tax burden of being 1099 instead of W-2.

But look: what Uber did in New York City—which is what began this line of discussion—is totally legal, and totally expected: capitalism, with few or no fetters, encourages maximum profits and discourages solidarity with fellow workers (or one's fellow man). And so, opportunistically advantaging their company during the NYTWA's airport strike is not only their right, under our current system, it's logically consistent. But it's also within a concerned consumer's rights to make a political statement through deleting their apps; and it's likewise logically consistent for me* or anyone else who supports organized labor to boycott strike-breakers.

*(I actually already never used Uber, for the reasons outlined; everyone else is late to the bandwagon.)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-31-2017), Julio3000 (01-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I have absolutely no such faith—especially since the labor-pool of Uber et al is not sufficiently organized to even make such a cogent demand to the corporation for which they "independently contract", even if drivers independently developed the complaint. This is why unions are so important.
    If Uber paid $1 an hour... nobody would agree to drive for that.

They have found a compensation model that drivers have voluntarily agreed on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

It's not volitional if you have no other employment or income options. What's necessary is often not voluntary.

And I guarantee you that, in the absence of any other employment options, plenty of nobodies would drive for the lowest compensation that still represented a net-positive; and if they could, Uber—or almost any other corporation, without outside impositions like governmental regulation—would pay their workers the bare minimum that still kept them staffed. Because the market doesn't demand mercy, it demands margins. Capitalism is a system of concentrating welfare, not sharing it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (01-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

I'm making this a separate post, because it's a separate and more general issue—but I notice you conspicuously responded to the rideshare-specific comments I made (which was only the first sentence), and not the the bulk of my post to you:

This is why unions are so important.

Honestly, as a libertarian, I'd think you'd be in favor of organized labor, and against so-called "right-to-work" laws. The former represents an entirely non-government regulatory check on the capital-side of industry—the market working to self-correct, as it were—while the latter is an example of governmental intrusion and imposition on the free workings of the market: in this case, burdensome regulation on the labor component, analogous to those burdens on the capital component you always pillory.
    I'm actually much more interested in your thoughts on that topic.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (01-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    It's not volitional if you have no other employment or income options. What's necessary is often not voluntary.

And I guarantee you that, in the absence of any other employment options, plenty of nobodies would drive for the lowest compensation that still represented a net-positive; and if they could, Uber—or almost any other corporation, without outside impositions like governmental regulation—would pay their workers the bare minimum that still kept them staffed. Because the market doesn't demand mercy, it demands margins. Capitalism is a system of concentrating welfare, not sharing it.
    But without Uber, those people make $0 an hour.

How is this not a net benefit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I absolutely support people's right to organize. There is nothing wrong with unions or their formation, but they tend to do more harm than good to their members in the longer picture. At least today.

I support a company paying the minimum amount necessary to retain an employee's service... And I support employees deploying all potential efforts to maximize their compensation while retaining employment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I am a daily listener to the Tony Kornheiser podcast... Everyone on there is extremely liberal (but pretty reasonable)...

Yesterday, they had Republican senator Tom Cotton on the show. They spoke very little about politics, but more about Cotton's life in the military and how he got into service.

Before the podcast was released, they tweeted that Cotton would be a guest on the show.

On today's show, they discussed how there was UPROAR before the show was even dropped - with tons of people emailing and tweeting saying they will absolutely not listen to the show, etc.

Tony - who is a huge Obama supporter - is baffled on today's show that people behave like that. Making up their minds without even listening. And essentially saying both sides are basically echo chambers.

It's truly sad how polarized people are... but to not listen to a show you love because of a guest that is a republican? Seriously?

Now - they have no reason to ever bring back anyone from the right

27. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    But without Uber, those people make $0 an hour.

How is this not a net benefit?
    So this is where we'll always diverge, because ultimately we're arguing from different frameworks and on different grounds. I believe that it's morally wrong for a company to generate maximum surplus-value from an employee, which means working them as much as possible and compensating them as little as possible. You believe that's fine, in principle, because you believe in practice the market—when truly free—will correct such that conditions will never be unlivably unfair for workers, with the additional benefit that maximum economic liberty will be achieved. I dispute that theory's practical viability, and believe history likewise tells another tale.

I absolutely support people's right to organize. There is nothing wrong with unions or their formation, but they tend to do more harm than good to their members in the longer picture. At least today.
    I think that is sadly often the case with many very large unions, due to the anti-worker bureaucracy that has become an albatross of their effective organization. Naturally I argue that the reactionary pressures of vested capital in the mid-century are largely to blame, and so still believe in the basic cause of organized labor—I just think much needs to be dramatically reorganized. And, indeed, I am hopeful that the current perturbations provide a decisive opportunity for precisely that reorganization and restructuring.

I support a company paying the minimum amount necessary to retain an employee's service... And I support employees deploying all potential efforts to maximize their compensation while retaining employment.
    Fair enough. That's what I was looking for you to say, since you usually are intellectually consistent.

And there is nothing especially or essentially anti-libertarian about organized labor—in fact, unions often arise because of a deficit in governmental protections for workers. Indeed, if unfettered capitalism were to truly operate with any humane force, I'd think its advocates would, moreover, conceive labor-organization as a vital and necessary counter-balancing component within the market—which is why I scratch my head when some self-styled libertarians are staunchly anti-union.
    Last edited by jpx7; 01-31-2017 at 02:00 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (01-31-2017)