You know, I'm not a fan of superhero media. I never really got into it when I was a kid, and that's probably the reason that it doesn't push my buttons now. As an adult, I am leery of investing too much energy into the trasformative power of a single individual (side-eyes at Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders)...but [MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION], **** that sentiment, entirely. What mqt wrote was reasonable and well-intentioned.

I'm the parent of two brown kids. I know this is dicey territory, and I'm sensitive to the idea that I could and should feel this way, regardless of that status...on the other hand, having had the particular experiences that I have--including having a state official tell me "oh, it looks like she'll be light-skinned...you're lucky" upon seeing the my daughter, I've got at least a tiny modicum of insight here (it went well beyond that, in truth). So this kind of thing surely matters to me and matters to my kids, and to others who look like them.

Your assumed posture of superiority--"it's patronizing"-- really strikes a sour note. The appearance of pop-culture superheroes and princesses DO matter to my kids, and I know that because they tell me so.