Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Kemp

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Your "eye test" is precisely why advanced stats were invented, changed the game, and are now adopted by every single team in the game.

If you think Kemp "makes all the plays" based on the baseball you've played, I would question the level of baseball you actually played.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-01-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Your "eye test" is precisely why advanced stats were invented, changed the game, and are now adopted by every single team in the game.

If you think Kemp "makes all the plays" based on the baseball you've played, I would question the level of baseball you actually played.
    I didn't say he made all the plays. I said he made more than I thought he would (in a pretty ugly way). You can diss me and talk down to me all you want, but the man the Braves hired to make decisions disagrees with you. He "actually" is paid to do this. As I stated....I wasn't a fan of the trade, but I won't bury my stat crunching head in the sand and ignore his impact on the offense. The Braves could have the best O in baseball and Kemp hit .300 with 150 RBI and 50 HR's and you would never admit you were wrong unless he has some incredible WAR. The Braves didn't get him for that. They got him to provide a little more O and protect FF...he did that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    "the man the Braves hired to make decisions disagrees with you. He "actually" is paid to do this."

"I won't bury my stat crunching head in the sand and ignore his impact on the offense."

"protect FF"

And with that single post you have officially made every statement typical of the completely ignorant fan the Kemp trade was made to appease.

Congratulations are in order! Kudos man! Well done, well done indeed! Bravo!

Now just sit there quietly and enjoy the pretty green grass, the bright flashy lights, the snazzy uniforms, and marvel at how high the pop ups go like all the rest of the casual fans. Leave the player valuation discussion to the adults that actually took the time to educate themselves on the subject.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-02-2017 at 01:33 AM.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    haven't read any of the thread but i'm willing to bet large sums that he is the "greatest shape of his life" coming into spring training
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    haven't read any of the thread but i'm willing to bet large sums that he is the "greatest shape of his life" coming into spring training
    No everyone discussed his flaming herpes and contestant state of being stoned.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (02-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I propose as a community we track every game and classify balls hit to Kemp to corroborate the statistical impact used by the popular sites.

Would be fun IMO.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I propose as a community we track every game and classify balls hit to Kemp to corroborate the statistical impact used by the popular sites.

Would be fun IMO.
    Waste of time. Statcast does this for us automatically.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    The only question is whether DOB or Bowman will report this first.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (02-02-2017)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The only question is whether DOB or Bowman will report this first.
    Do you think Bowman will report in the best shape of his life?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (02-02-2017), Tapate50 (02-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    "the man the Braves hired to make decisions disagrees with you. He "actually" is paid to do this."

"I won't bury my stat crunching head in the sand and ignore his impact on the offense."

"protect FF"

And with that single post you have officially made every statement typical of the completely ignorant fan the Kemp trade was made to appease.

Congratulations are in order! Kudos man! Well done, well done indeed! Bravo!

Now just sit there quietly and enjoy the pretty green grass, the bright flashy lights, the snazzy uniforms, and marvel at how high the pop ups go like all the rest of the casual fans. Leave the player valuation discussion to the adults that actually took the time to educate themselves on the subject.
    You're an asshole and an idiot. You keep playing your fantasy game and leave the actual construction of the team to professionals and enjoyment of the game to fans. You aren't one. You're an analyst. And a myopic one, at that.

I'd like your team to be comprised of a teamload of guys with 4 dWAR and 0 oWAR and see how they compete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    No everyone discussed his flaming herpes and contestant state of being stoned.
    Making $20m and being a star in Hollywood gives you all sorts of opportunities.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    The first to report to the donut shop maybe

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    You're an asshole and an idiot. You keep playing your fantasy game and leave the actual construction of the team to professionals and enjoyment of the game to fans. You aren't one. You're an analyst. And a myopic one, at that.

I'd like your team to be comprised of a teamload of guys with 4 dWAR and 0 oWAR and see how they compete.
    A team full of players that are among the best defenders ever who happen to be average offensively are going to be a damn good team and win lots of games. The 2015 Royals happened to be a really good defensive team who was average offensively and they won the world series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Waste of time. Statcast does this for us automatically.
    If the government bans Statcast it would create some good-paying jobs for people who need them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    i have reason to believe he will

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Gosh dang it, Enscheff has been a great poster for the last couple weeks, but you just had to poke him.

He brings some really good things to this board when not engaging in the name-calling and back-and-forth.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Round is a shape.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BornaBrave (02-02-2017), Hawk (02-02-2017), sturg33 (02-02-2017), Tapate50 (02-02-2017)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts

2015 Rotals -15.8 offensive RAR +38.7 defensive RAR - Won the World Series.

FWIW according to fangraphs every year's best defensive team and their number of wins and playoff result if possible.

2016 - Cubs - Won WOrld Series
    2015 - Giants - 84 Wins
    2014 - Reds - 76 Wins (and the Reds were extra terrible offensively)
    2013 - Diamondbacks - 81 wins
    2012 - Braves - 94 wins - Lost WCG
    2011 - Diambondbacks - 91 wins - Lost LDS
    2010 - Reds - 91 Wins - Lost LDS

I'd do the same thing with offense only just for fun, but the point is there. Being a great statistical defensive team isn't a bad thing at all, when the only team in the last 7 seasons who had a losing record were the Reds who were extraordinarily bad offensively (-114 runs, which for comparison was how terrible we were offensively last year)

Reality is that you're wrong, and you shouldn't be personally insulting anyone just because they don't agree with you.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    2015 Rotals -15.8 offensive RAR +38.7 defensive RAR - Won the World Series.

FWIW according to fangraphs every year's best defensive team and their number of wins and playoff result if possible.

2016 - Cubs - Won WOrld Series
    2015 - Giants - 84 Wins
    2014 - Reds - 76 Wins (and the Reds were extra terrible offensively)
    2013 - Diamondbacks - 81 wins
    2012 - Braves - 94 wins - Lost WCG
    2011 - Diambondbacks - 91 wins - Lost LDS
    2010 - Reds - 91 Wins - Lost LDS

I'd do the same thing with offense only just for fun, but the point is there. Being a great statistical defensive team isn't a bad thing at all, when the only team in the last 7 seasons who had a losing record were the Reds who were extraordinarily bad offensively (-114 runs, which for comparison was how terrible we were offensively last year)

Reality is that you're wrong, and you shouldn't be personally insulting anyone just because they don't agree with you.
    I am pretty sure he is not insulting him because of stats..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The thing I like about the positional prospects we have coming up is that they are well-rounded players. Sure, few of them look like they're going to be sluggers, but they're going to play very good defense, they're going to run well, and they're going to hit well with a good approach at the plate. You get enough of those guys along with a good pitching staff, and you have a very, very good team.

In a few years, we could be looking at something like Freeman at 1B, Inciarte in CF, Swanson at SS, Albies at 2B, and Acuna in RF. That is really, really nice. You can find a hitter to plug in LF if you need to, which leaves our primary needs looking forward as 3B and C, which we all know. It's possible we draft someone this year who could fit into that timeframe, and Maitan could be knocking on the door by that point as well. But that is a great foundation for a really good team. At least 4 of those guys (Freeman doesn't have the range but does everything else well) should be well above average defensively, and they should all be at least average offensively with at least a couple pretty well above average there as well.