Thread: Gorsuch It Is

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Gorsuch It Is

Link

Garland should have been appointed. Gorsuch should be now. Neither opposition party, imho, should have or should block either of these two men as far as their records go.

Garland was qualified. Gorsuch is qualified.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 01-31-2017 at 09:02 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-01-2017), Runnin (02-02-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    if the democrats don't put up a ****ing fight

**** them
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    They will. They shouldn't, just like the Rs shouldn't have. But they will.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-01-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Sasse statement on Gorsuch - Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    It would be beyond idiotic for the democrats to make a stand here. It's a fight they can't win. Even their own estimates say the most they could delay is a year. After that the Republicans use the nuclear option for sure. Probably sooner.

This is not the hill to die on. What do they do if Republicans kill the filibuster for SCOTUS picks and next year Kennedy or Ginsberg retire or pass away?

Fighting Gorsuch just loses the Democrats the high ground they gained in the Garland ordeal and in the end they gain nothing as they don't have the numbers to win. Fighting would be an emotional decision, not a rational one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-31-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Fantastic choice. Well done Mr. Trump

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I'm just glad he made a sane move here.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    I'm just glad he made a sane move here.
    To be honest I don't know enough about Gorsuch to have an opinion at this point, but Mitch Goat Blowing McConnell is another matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Gorsuch really is about as good as the left could have hoped for in this situation. His credentials are unquestionable and he doesn't really project as a huge culture warrior. Garland is in the past. The left needs to let go of that and deal with facts as they are now.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Gorsuch really is about as good as the left could have hoped for in this situation. His credentials are unquestionable and he doesn't really project as a huge culture warrior. Garland is in the past. The left needs to let go of that and deal with facts as they are now.
    Why should they let go of political partisanship that has not been seen in 227 years (I'm not counting this year)? Why should some Repubs be able to piss on the Constitution and still get to come out and call themselves the adults, the party of morality, the good guys who love the Constitution, etc.? Again I don't have a beef with Gorsuch, my problem is with McConnell, and the other scum in Congress who have set themselves up as some sort of aristocracy who can follow the rules when it suits them and ignore them with it suits them. I've also said this numerous times, I'm no fan of Trump, but I"ll take him every day and twice on Sunday before those vermin in Congress. Just my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Why should they let go of political partisanship that has not been seen in 227 years (I'm not counting this year)? Why should some Repubs be able to piss on the Constitution and still get to come out and call themselves the adults, the party of morality, the good guys who love the Constitution, etc.? Again I don't have a beef with Gorsuch, my problem is with McConnell, and the other scum in Congress who have set themselves up as some sort of aristocracy who can follow the rules when it suits them and ignore them with it suits them. I've also said this numerous times, I'm no fan of Trump, but I"ll take him every day and twice on Sunday before those vermin in Congress. Just my opinion.
    My comments are purely tactical. The left can be mad but letting that determine their next move will not end well. Take their frustrations out in the confirmation process but let him through without a filibuster. It's stupid to fight this battle when they can't win.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Then you ought to be in favor of Gorsuch. He's a term limit advocate.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    My comments are purely tactical. The left can be mad but letting that determine their next move will not end well. Take their frustrations out in the confirmation process but let him through without a filibuster. It's stupid to fight this battle when they can't win.
    Oh I know. I didn't think you were being partisan, that's just how much I despise McConnell and much of Congress (and yeah you guys can add Pelosi and Reid too). I don't think they should filibuster but if they play this right (and what are the chances of that) they can hold him up for a while put him through a thorough but legitimate confirmation process and then act like mature adults should. Hey who knows, maybe they'll even get to like acting like that. Yeah I know, too much to ask. :)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

And it would only give Trump more ammo to use against them in 2018 and 2020.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Then you ought to be in favor of Gorsuch. He's a term limit advocate.
    I"m totally open minded on him and I will try to remain so. Again my problem isn't with him or even with Trump on this one.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    And it would only give Trump more ammo to use against them in 2018 and 2020.
    Yeah, but they need to put up a fight to show they actually have a spine (for a change) just don't make McConnellesque asses of themselves. Just rolling over isn't the answer either, something of a "tough but fair" approach.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Btw, it's a brilliant Trump move. Whereas he had the never-Trumpers on the Right like myself and the Left pretty much on the same page in opposition to his e.o. Now, if the Left goes ballistic against Gorsuch he has the never-Trumpers siding back with Trump's supporters.

Somehow, I get the feeling he'll play this game all day long and then some.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Yeah, but they need to put up a fight to show they actually have a spine (for a change) just don't make McConnellesque asses of themselves. Just rolling over isn't the answer either, something of a "tough but fair" approach.

I'm not sure I agree. I think they'd automatically rise in my book if they show how you ought to treat a qualified nominee. I agree with striker - it seems wiser to keep their powder dry now and with for the Ginsburg/Kennedy replacement battle.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    next year Kennedy or Ginsberg retire or pass away?
    Ginsberg will die on that bench way before she would ever step down and let this demagogue replace her seat.

and i mean, literally die at her seat in the court room
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Democrats will probably prop her ass up like weekend at bernies before they give Trump another chance to appoint a judge.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

CK86 (02-01-2017)