Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Since They're Talking About Him

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Trades at the deadline are always going to be a different animal. If you have a shot and need X player then I am fine with overpaying (to a degree) for that player. Especially if the market in general is overpaying (as was the case with relievers last year). Torres was #27 prospect in baseball when he was traded and the Cubs were going for it and needed a shutdown closer. That's fine but also different than trading for said shutdown reliever at the start of the season. I would consider one an overpay and the other highway robbery.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Trades at the deadline are always going to be a different animal. If you have a shot and need X player then I am fine with overpaying (to a degree) for that player. Especially if the market in general is overpaying (as was the case with relievers last year). Torres was #27 prospect in baseball when he was traded and the Cubs were going for it and needed a shutdown closer. That's fine but also different than trading for said shutdown reliever at the start of the season. I would consider one an overpay and the other highway robbery.
    The reason trade prices go up at the deadline is because at that point teams have a good idea that they will be participating in the postseason.

The entire exercise of calculating surplus value is based on the fact that a "win" is worth ~$8M. In the playoffs "win" is worth MUCH more than $8M. Knowing you are going to participate in an environment where a "win" is likely worth 10x changes the calculus significantly.

That's what the ChiSox are banking on with Q, and is why they are now holding him until the trade deadline.