10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

MLB sends 2 new rule changes to Union

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ng-strike-zone

thoughts?

1. if you intentionally walk someone you just give a signal and they go. no more tossing 4 softballs
    2. raise the strike zone.

I like them both.

I think the letters to the top of the knees should be the zone. It seems like the zone right now is the bottom of the belt to halfway up the shin.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-06-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ng-strike-zone

thoughts?

1. if you intentionally walk someone you just give a signal and they go. no more tossing 4 softballs
    2. raise the strike zone.

I like them both.

I think the letters to the top of the knees should be the zone. It seems like the zone right now is the bottom of the belt to halfway up the shin.
    as hard as pitchers throw now.. a higher zone will kill scoring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Intentional walks should definitely be done the way they're proposing. It's pointless to make them do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'm not a huge fan of either.

I understand the reasoning of the intentional walk and think it's going to happen sooner rather than later. However, while the majority of IBBs are uneventful, every so often it's fun like when a pitch is too close to the zone and the hitter swings or when it goes to the backstop. I'm a purist so this isn't surprising. However, eliminating it does speed up the pace of the game and reduces a slight injury risk.

As for raising the zone, it would result in a lot more offense and probably a lot more Ks. Both make the game faster moving and more exciting but it makes the game harder for sinkerballers. Guys in the mold of Tim Hudson would be disproportionately impacted.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-06-2017), goldfly (02-07-2017), Hawk (02-06-2017), JohnAdcox (02-07-2017), jpx7 (02-09-2017), Julio3000 (02-07-2017), The Chosen One (02-06-2017), VirginiaBrave (02-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    as hard as pitchers throw now.. a higher zone will kill scoring.
    I'm not so sure. It will definitely jump Ks but it will make pounding the bottom of the zone harder.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I dislike rule 1. A lot can go wrong during the baseball's trip to home plate. The pitcher should have to actually throw balls and the catcher catch them.

Raising the strike zone is fine with me. It used to be knees to letters. I'd go back to that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FreemanFan For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (02-11-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanFan View Post
    I dislike rule 1. A lot can go wrong during the baseball's trip to home plate. The pitcher should have to actually throw balls and the catcher catch them.

Raising the strike zone is fine with me. It used to be knees to letters. I'd go back to that.
    I 'm mixed. A lot of pitchers make a living by being able to stay down in the zone. Making that bottom of the zone pitch more hittable by moving it up a few inches should take that pitch away from some pitchers. Calling more high strikes could make the hitters more aggressive, and I believe will lead to more strikeouts. The guys who will be hurt by that change will be hitters with good strike zone judgement who will be forced to swing at pitches they are less likely to be able to hit.

I am also enough of a purist to want to see a pitcher make a mistake on and IBB every now and then!!!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanFan View Post

I agree with your thoughts on Rule 1. I read there were a total of about 1000 intentional walks total in 2016, which is less than 1 every other game. I don't see how getting rid of 30 seconds every other game is worth losing the few interesting plays that can occur during an intentional walk.

I'm indifferent on Rule 2 because I haven't seen any data either way. Plus, I assume umpires will continue to call the zone so poorly that changing the zone a few inches will have minimal effect overall.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I agree with your thoughts on Rule 1. I read there were a total of about 1000 intentional walks total in 2016, which is less than 1 every other game. I don't see how getting rid of 30 seconds every other game is worth losing the few interesting plays that can occur during an intentional walk.

I'm indifferent on Rule 2 because I haven't seen any data either way. Plus, I assume umpires will continue to call the zone so poorly that changing the zone a few inches will have minimal effect overall.
    If they want to speed up the game they could start by not having so many GD commercial breaks.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (02-06-2017), gamecock4braves (02-06-2017), Prikichi (02-07-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    If they want to speed up the game they could start by not having so many GD commercial breaks.
    Hear, hear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    What I would like to see is balls and strikes called by computers. Its time we get that **** right. It affects the outcome of games way too much.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (02-06-2017), NYCBrave (02-09-2017), Prikichi (02-07-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Would also be faster...just saying.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Absolutely no to #1. It would totally invalidate one of the great fake-out moments in baseball history.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-09-2017), Metaphysicist (02-07-2017), mossy (02-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

You might be right about rule 2. I doubt most umps would be able to implement a new zone.

They need to stop tinkering with the zone and work on having a consistent zone. If you're consistent, pitchers and hitters will adjust accordingly.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

This is not just a hypothetical situation. It has happened. Runner in scoring position. Pitcher starts to intentionally walk batter. One soft toss is thrown wildly over catcher's shoulder. Runner advances!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    1. Part of me likes the idea that you have to actually perform the action of throwing pitches. The only reason it's an 'intentional walk' is because it appears the pitcher threw 4 intentional balls, but it's not an actual part of baseball in and of itself. It's just 4 pitches thrown intentionally way outside the zone, but they're still live plays like any other. And yes, it would do virtually nothing to speed up games. Having said that, I don't really care either way, and nothing interesting happens on 99.9% of them, so if they change that, fine.

2. I don't fully understand this one. The article only mentions raising the bottom of the zone. It makes sense that if they raise the bottom, they'll also raise the top, but do we know that's part of it? Anyway, my issue is that they're trying to correct umpire mistakes by changing the actual rule. That is counter-intuitive. They don't have a problem with the zone as currently outlined, they just have a problem with the way it's called in games, and they're hoping by raising it above the knee, it only actually goes down to below the knee. That is dumb. Just tell your umpires they're doing a bad job and hold them accountable when they don't call it correctly. Problem solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    This is not just a hypothetical situation. It has happened. Runner in scoring position. Pitcher starts to intentionally walk batter. One soft toss is thrown wildly over catcher's shoulder. Runner advances!
    so?

i want faster and more balls in play. i dont like seeing guys pound it into the ground bc the shins are in the zone.

I'm all for robo umps for balls and strikes. Sign me up. I think the chest is the original high point and it should be. If you have elite velocity good for you. You will see a lot of Ks. you'll also see some crazy HRs.

Main issue is safety if guys try to throw up more.

Right now I feel like i either see belt to mid shin (most of the time) or navel to just below the knee. I think the navel to knee is just too small. Too many walks. Have to have truely elite stuff to pitch in that box.

So I want balls in play but not a bunch of 10-7 games.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    so?

i want faster and more balls in play. i dont like seeing guys pound it into the ground bc the shins are in the zone.

I'm all for robo umps for balls and strikes. Sign me up. I think the chest is the original high point and it should be. If you have elite velocity good for you. You will see a lot of Ks. you'll also see some crazy HRs.

Main issue is safety if guys try to throw up more.

Right now I feel like i either see belt to mid shin (most of the time) or navel to just below the knee. I think the navel to knee is just too small. Too many walks. Have to have truely elite stuff to pitch in that box.

So I want balls in play but not a bunch of 10-7 games.

He quoted and responded to your post about the intentional walk, and you replied with a further explanation of your thoughts on the strike zone. I'm confused.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

He quoted and responded to your post about the intentional walk, and you replied with a further explanation of your thoughts on the strike zone. I'm confused.
    so was my comment...it wasn't clear.

I don't see slowing down the game for the tiny chance that something happens. Yes it's possible to throw a strike, throw a wild pitch or get a base stolen. I agree.

I just don't agree that the chance of that pink elephant is worth the vast majority of intentional walks.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-07-2017), jpx7 (02-09-2017), Julio3000 (02-07-2017)