Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
My take on this....it really reminds me how bad the Simmons trade has turned out. To think what we gave up to get Gohara and then realize the ONLY player we have left that we received from the Simmons trade is Newcomb. I agree Gohara is way high, but comparing their ages...he IS probably the better prospect. If Newcomb doesn't becaome AT least a solid #2 starter....this trade was down right horrible.
The Gohara deal was a great deal, though. It's not really fair to expect the same of every deal or to compare others that way, just like it isn't fair to compare any other deals to what we got for Miller.

And the Simmons deal was always for Newcomb; the other pieces were pretty meaningless overall. But yeah, it definitely doesn't look as good now as it did then, when it was probably about an even deal. Aybar was hot garbage, Ellis was alright and traded, and Newcomb didn't take a big step forward. I do think most of the prospects rankings are too bearish on Newcomb, though. He's basically in the same spot he was when we got him - and while treading water usually causes you to lose prospect momentum, it doesn't necessarily mean he's much less likely to hit his ceiling.

If we could have that one back, we might take it back. But we would still be looking to shop Simmons, and trades for prospects don't always work out.