Prospect digest 10 prospect listing

Natural Immunity Croc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    That's quite the aggressive ranking for Gohara. The write ups overall are great though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    having Gohard as our best LHP is a bit of a stretch. He was great last year, but like Touki and Fried.. I need more before moving them ahead of even the likes of Newk..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    That statistic about Albies and Trout is amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    having Gohard as our best LHP is a bit of a stretch. He was great last year, but like Touki and Fried.. I need more before moving them ahead of even the likes of Newk..
    He has the stuff and build to be a TOR pitcher. I think everyone tries to look for linear progression but that's just not the case. At any point in time a prospect can bust or breakout. Seems like the scouts think Gohara is ready to break out in a big way

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    He has the stuff and build to be a TOR pitcher. I think everyone tries to look for linear progression but that's just not the case. At any point in time a prospect can bust or breakout. Seems like the scouts think Gohara is ready to break out in a big way
    I agree.. but now he has to sustain that for me to move him. Just like Fried and Touki.. even Newk to a level... all have to repeat their improvements. If they do, they fly up the boards imo..

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That statistic about Albies and Trout is amazing.
    That was kinda cool.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Best thing about this write-up is that the guy goes back and owns up to the bad projections he made. He then breaks it down in an attempt to analyze and learn from it. That is a sign of a sound logical thinker.

However, he is clearly just scouting the stat line, and sprinkling in recent draft picks based on where they were selected. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't watched a single one of these prospects in person, and has zero scouting acumen.

Finally, any Braves Top 10 list that excludes Acuna is pretty poor, and shows the list has zero foundation in scouting. In fact, it means the author also has zero connections inside the industry and bases his rankings on zero professionally compiled information.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    This was a ... unique list. But I liked it. You guys are right, the write-ups are super solid. Gohara being number 4 is a bit silly, but it would be great if he can get that high

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    This was a ... unique list. But I liked it. You guys are right, the write-ups are super solid. Gohara being number 4 is a bit silly, but it would be great if he can get that high
    I wasn't saying he couldn't make it that high.. just don't think he is there yet. He needs to report in shape and repeat that season. if he does.. then he is blasting up the list for me. He will be like Newk.. a TOR ceiling or High leverage RP floor...

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Best thing about this write-up is that the guy goes back and owns up to the bad projections he made. He then breaks it down in an attempt to analyze and learn from it. That is a sign of a sound logical thinker.

However, he is clearly just scouting the stat line, and sprinkling in recent draft picks based on where they were selected. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't watched a single one of these prospects in person, and has zero scouting acumen.

Finally, any Braves Top 10 list that excludes Acuna is pretty poor, and shows the list has zero foundation in scouting. In fact, it means the author also has zero connections inside the industry and bases his rankings on zero professionally compiled information.
    I disagree that it's ridiculous not to have Acuņa in the top 10. He has a pretty small sample (that I'm sure this guy hasn't seen), and he hasn't made it to AA. Do I agree with Riley ahead of Acuņa? Heck no, but I can see why someone could.

Also, I think his goal is to use data analytics to have more success in predicting breakout candidates.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 02-07-2017 at 02:11 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

Yep, I like the info and his willingness to both have strong opinions that differ from the norm, and to own up when he's wrong.

I don't really mind the fact that he's just scouting the stat line. It obviously makes his rankings even more of a crapshoot, but because pretty much every list includes some scouting, I think it can be good to just see where guys stack up on pure numbers. And his CAL model looks intriguing. One thing's for sure - that model LOOOOOOVES Albies. Lindor, Profar, Machado, and JP Crawford as his top 4 comps? Uh...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yep, I like the info and his willingness to both have strong opinions that differ from the norm, and to own up when he's wrong.

I don't really mind the fact that he's just scouting the stat line. It obviously makes his rankings even more of a crapshoot, but because pretty much every list includes some scouting, I think it can be good to just see where guys stack up on pure numbers. And his CAL model looks intriguing. One thing's for sure - that model LOOOOOOVES Albies. Lindor, Profar, Machado, and JP Crawford as his top 4 comps? Uh...
    So MY take away from this is that Ozzie is mix of Trout and Lindor... cool!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    I disagree that it's ridiculous not to have Acuņa in the top 10. He has a pretty small sample (that I'm sure this guy hasn't seen), and he hasn't made it to AA. Do I agree with Riley ahead of Acuņa? Heck no, but I can see why someone could.

Also, I think his goal is to use data analytics to have more success in predicting breakout candidates.
    So Acuna is out of the Top 10 based on limited data, but Maitan, Anderson and Allard are in despite limited data?

The guy is clearly doing nothing but scouting the stat line, and then sprinkling in guys like Anderson and Maitan based on where they were or would be drafted. He literally said as much in the Maitan blurb.

No other credible prospect list has Acuna outside the Braves Top 10. It is laughable for any "expert" to exclude him.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post

How dare you!?!?! Questioning the unquestioned one is an unpardonable offense.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    So Acuna is out of the Top 10 based on limited data, but Maitan, Anderson and Allard are in despite limited data?

The guy is clearly doing nothing but scouting the stat line, and then sprinkling in guys like Anderson and Maitan based on where they were or would be drafted. He literally said as much in the Maitan blurb.

No other credible prospect list has Acuna outside the Braves Top 10. It is laughable for any "expert" to exclude him.

Not really going to question any list for the Braves since I think 3-12 are all open for debate IMO. I think Acuna could be as high as 4 and could make a case for 10th best. So I don't have too much beef with this. I disagree, but not going to completely dismiss him..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Not really going to question any list for the Braves since I think 3-12 are all open for debate IMO. I think Acuna could be as high as 4 and could make a case for 10th best. So I don't have too much beef with this. I disagree, but not going to completely dismiss him..
    I can appreciate that point of view, but a prospect guy has to be consistent. If Acuna hasn't proven enough, then neither has Maitan, Anderson or Allard.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    How dare you!?!?! Questioning the unquestioned one is an unpardonable offense.
    Another insightful gem by the resident genius.

Care to impart some more wisdom on us like you did with your Sale trade proposal?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Another insightful gem by the resident genius.

Care to impart some more wisdom on us like you did with your Sale trade proposal?
    Please.
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    My take on this....it really reminds me how bad the Simmons trade has turned out. To think what we gave up to get Gohara and then realize the ONLY player we have left that we received from the Simmons trade is Newcomb. I agree Gohara is way high, but comparing their ages...he IS probably the better prospect. If Newcomb doesn't become AT least a solid #2 starter....this trade was down right horrible.