Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BP's 2017 PECOTA projections

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    That is very myopic statement. Adding Miller and Zack should have helped them. But both Miller and Zack were below career norms and the Dbags had some crucial injuries and under performance from other offensive players. To say everyone knew the dbags were going to be bad is completely false. I am not pardoning them for that trade. But that team should have contended for a wild card at least.
    Actually a lot of statheads knew they werent going to be as good as they thought. Now nobody thought they would be as bad as they were but the Dbacks incorrectly thought their team was as good as it was in 20015 and tried to build off of that when in reality that 2015 team over performed. They started at the wrong base line so even if they did stay healthy and Miller didn't suck they would have been meh instead of bad.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-09-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    You don't think it's possible that Albies is kept down to the trade deadline or even roster expansion? He's still very young.

It's possible that with the right platooning Jace/Rod/Adonis give us ok numbers out of 2B and 3B.

we also have a million BP arms so every position player is going to hit every game.
    No way. If he's healthy, no reason to hold him down that long.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Actually a lot of statheads knew they werent going to be as good as they thought. Now nobody thought they would be as bad as they were but the Dbacks incorrectly thought their team was as good as it was in 20015 and tried to build off of that when in reality that 2015 team over performed. They started at the wrong base line so even if they did stay healthy and Miller didn't suck they would have been meh instead of bad.
    fair point, but I still contend that they should have been a wild card team

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    fair point, but I still contend that they should have been a wild card team
    They could have been. When you are in that range anything can happen. Most projections had them losing value at the MLB team with the Ender and Miller swap. Where I'm sure the Dbacks thought they were adding wins instead of losing them. It was that line of thinking that got Stewart the boot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There is no way to say this with certainty

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    They could have been. When you are in that range anything can happen. Most projections had them losing value at the MLB team with the Ender and Miller swap. Where I'm sure the Dbacks thought they were adding wins instead of losing them. It was that line of thinking that got Stewart the boot.
    Trading your fourth outfielder for a top three rotation piece is supposed to help you, but that's not how it worked out.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Trading your fourth outfielder for a top three rotation piece is supposed to help you, but that's not how it worked out.
    I guess evaluating Ender as your 4th OF was their first mistake. The 2nd was assuming David Peralta would have a 368 BABIP again.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We can make educated guesses.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I guess evaluating Ender as your 4th OF was their first mistake. The 2nd was assuming David Peralta would have a 368 BABIP again.
    Seriously. If they valued Ender as their 4th OF, then that is not a defense of the trade. It's just more proof they had no clue what they were doing or how to improve their team.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Also, you can't say, I take Ender's WAR and swap it with Miller's WAR and there you go. You have to look at replacement value as well. Who was replacing Ender and what was his WAR. If the Dbacks could replace Ender's 4 WAR with someone who puts up ~3 WAR, then how is that a loss. Could the Dbacks find another pitcher on the open market or internally that could have come close to Millers ~3 War that he posted for ATL? Simply swapping players value is not complete data set.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Also, you can't say, I take Ender's WAR and swap it with Miller's WAR and there you go. You have to look at replacement value as well. Who was replacing Ender and what was his WAR. If the Dbacks could replace Ender's 4 WAR with someone who puts up ~3 WAR, then how is that a loss. Could the Dbacks find another pitcher on the open market or internally that could have come close to Millers ~3 War that he posted for ATL? Simply swapping players value is not complete data set.
    You are correct. But it was obvious they did not have anyone to replace Ender's value in the outfield and was pretty much notated at the time of the deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Simply in terms of its impact on the major league team, you are correct. So who did the D-Backs have? Yasmany Tomas. I feel fairly confident they could find a pitcher who could provide at least 0 WAR pretty easily.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I never said I know/knew squat about who they were replacing him with. Tomas is not helping my case on this... is he really that bad defensively. YIKES!!

boy, still glad we got Ender..

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Simply in terms of its impact on the major league team, you are correct. So who did the D-Backs have? Yasmany Tomas. I feel fairly confident they could find a pitcher who could provide at least 0 WAR pretty easily.
    probably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Not certainty, but a high degree of probability

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    You are correct. But it was obvious they did not have anyone to replace Ender's value in the outfield and was pretty much notated at the time of the deal.
    I think they probably pictured Pollack, Peralta, Tomas out there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think they probably pictured Pollack, Peralta, Tomas out there.
    Yeah...which would still mean that losing Ender is a massive hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Yeah...which would still mean that losing Ender is a massive hit.
    They enderestimated him. That much is clear.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (02-09-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    No way. If he's healthy, no reason to hold him down that long.
    The reasons would be his age, relatively limited experience and manipulating service time. I'm not saying I do it. But I can see it.

Esp if the platoon works out well. If Albies is crushing the minors and showing some power again then maybe he just kicks down the door and you have to play him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Albies will let the Braves know if he is ready. I could see him making it out of spring training. Money will not be an issue and the best contacts are always the extensions when the player is pretty arby. I see a scenario where both Swanson and Albies are locked up by spring training next year.