Page 96 of 153 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 3056

Thread: Neverending **** the Police thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    WAPO tracked the data. 10 unarmed blacks were shot by cops last year in a country of 40+ million black people. And if you review those cases half were the assailant attacking the cops. A couple cops were charged in a few of the remaining.

So not a study per se but just a raw data dump.

This is rhe lowest since WAPO tracked it since 2015.
    Okay. Cool. Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    So. Okay. Then it is still understandable for them to to have a reaction like this and protest, right? These are people who have suffered under this kind of thing their whole life, and even if it trends downward for a few years, they can't let down their guard. How can they? Things have trended downward before and skyrocketed. And there is still a measurable bias on regular stops, and every single time these people are stopped, they are terrified. It is pure terrorism for minorities.
    I cant speak to how minorities feel so I'm not even going to try but I acxept that some may feel that way.

The progress made needs to be looked over longer periods of time.

The love of my life told me yesterday that Tim Robbins has said the following.

"People overestimate what they can accomplish in a year and underestimate what they do in 10".

Such an amazing quote.

If you look at the progress made for blacks over the last 5 years it doesnt feel like enough. But on a longer trendline its been nothing short of remarkable and there is still a lot to accomplish and it will be accomplished.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I cant speak to how minorities feel so I'm not even going to try but I acxept that some may feel that way.

"People overestimate what they can accomplish in a year and underestimate what they do in 10".

Such an amazing quote.

If you look at the progress made for blacks over the last 5 years it doesnt feel like enough. But on a longer trendline its been nothing short of remarkable and there is still a lot to accomplish and it will be accomplished.
    So things are trending to a more positive future. That's wonderful. Many see that as a positive outcome of finally having a voice and using it, and they are not going to stop using their voice now that they have. Why would they? If they do, all this progress would likely be lost. And it is going to take a long time, like you said, before many feel the progress that is being made. You don't spend decades in an abusive relationship and stop flinching when they make a sudden move because they haven't hit you in a year or two. You just don't. Trust me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...mitted-serious

Here is a good article from Buzzfeed about how cops classify crimes as workplace violations so they can hide them from the public to escape real accountability. Everything from assaults to rapes have been covered up as workplace violations. This is a blatant and obvious Brady violation as it is exculpatory evidence if the witness against you raped people, fixed tickets, or otherwise showed to not be a trustworthy person.

Generally you can have a Judge view these records and decide if anything is relevant but they are often biased in favor of the cop. I recall one case where a prison guard had previously been caught manufacturing evidence previously. The judge saw that and ruled it was not relevant. Years later when this same guard is a witness he rules that it is relevant and releases the information to the defense. Then after this comes out every attornetly in every previous case gets all convictions overturned due to a Brady violation. And no one was held responsible.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    You can't really believe it looked like he "just" tripped. The one officer reaches around the other to push him backward. He stumbles back a couple steps and falls. What happens after that is almost as bad. **spoiler** They ignore him and step over him, and the one officer who seems to have a moment of humanity is grabbed by another officer and stopped from helping. NONE of the police help. One of the National Guard finally does.
    I was mocking the statement the BPD released. It's a terrible video and a perfect example of bad policing.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    weso, I apologize for misreading who you are speaking about. This thread, which is supposed to be about cops, has been bizarrely focused on the bad actors among the protesters rather than the actual issues. I guess that bled into my reading of your comments.

I do think you are misunderstanding my comment there, though. I think you are probably more in favor of positive solutions than a number of the cretins in this thread, but I think my own vision of what justice should look like is past that. The good solutions (strong PDs, emphasis on mental health) you suggest are good, but they aren't enough. But I am in favor of them and I am glad you are too. I just think many proposed "reforms," including the things you listed, are only set dressing. Non-lethal weapons, for instance, have not curtailed the use of force, but have in some case increased it. The problem runs deeper; the problem is the very role we give police and the way we refuse to address the racial history that has organized our society. Changing the means of policing won't do much if you don't also invest in education and providing economic opportunity. These things are all connected. We don't just need reforms; we need paradigm shifts.

Some of your suggestions (e.g., privatizing police, AI dispensed justice) are, frankly, frightening. So, uh, I at least disagree with those.
    No reason to apologize, but I appreciated the gesture.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I was mocking the statement the BPD released. It's a terrible video and a perfect example of bad policing.
    Sorry. lol I was blown away. My bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts

Such an amazing quote.

What's been accomplished in the last 5 years? I cant pinpoint any moment exactly where things started to get better but through atleast 95 we were actively making it worse. What's provided the most change is the amount of cameras everywhere. Previously there were cameras but cops controlled most of it. I recall one case where they tased a white guy in the balls till he died. They lied to the parents about what happened and only released the video after the statute of limitations ran out. Now that anyone can record and publicly post a video to millions it's much harder for police to cover up.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    WAPO tracked the data. 10 unarmed blacks were shot by cops last year in a country of 40+ million black people. And if you review those cases half were the assailant attacking the cops. A couple cops were charged in a few of the remaining.

So not a study per se but just a raw data dump.

This is rhe lowest since WAPO tracked it since 2015.

Yeah that stat is bullcrap. Maybe 10 unarmed black people were shot to death last year. That sounds more accurate. That's a narrow scope though. Thats like taking the stat of how many black people shot and killed a cop last year to prove black people arent violent. Its going to be misleading because it doesnt include shot and missed. Attacks and murders with other weapons, or cops shot who did not die.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/national-...se-reports.amp

2 national guard soldiers in Lafayette square hospitalized after lightning strike.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    This is why I mock people's virtue signaling when it comes to violence against women.... or really anyone. Most of you do not understand that this is what you have been covering for. If you voted for Democrats or Republicans you got what you voted for. What's the definition insanity again. If you want this fixed vote for anyone but the Republicrats.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Why is it that we dont approach crime by cops like we do crime by everyone else. Cops have long advocated that tougher sentences prevent crime. So let's add laws that add tougher sentences to cops who murder. 10 years for murder is no ones idea of justice.

It’s over."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Challenge accepted.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Never trump cult is sp cute and pathetic at the same time

Get out of the way of progress losers.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Your playbook is so transparent. Someone called us a cult...... so I will call them a cult. Checkmate Libtards.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Gotta get that virtue signal in there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Park police seem to be backtracking now... I'll note that the headline is a little misleading for the purpose of the article