User Tag List

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 229

Thread: Braves to acquire Brandon Phillips

  1. #161
    10 yr, $185 million Extension striker42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,516
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 980 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be Coppy's best trade outside of Miller to AZ. We're getting Phillips for virtually free. This is awesome.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

    Individual-1 (02-12-2017)

  3. #162
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    16,046
    Thanks
    1,002
    Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,905 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Didn't realize Jace was a world class walker
    12.7% walk rate in 2016. That's really good actually. Of players with at least 400 PA's that ranked 18th in baseball.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (02-12-2017),jpx7 (02-15-2017)

  5. #163
    Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    NinersSBChamps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Prague, MN
    Posts
    12,468
    Thanks
    2,977
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are people up in arms over this trade? From the sound of it the Braves traded some no name prospects for a once proven major league talent. He's on the decline (been that way for a few years now on offense) and last season his defense began to dip as well. The Reds by all accounts are paying most if not all of his salary? I know the Braves lost two future HOFers by most standards around here, but this trade doesn't really make a single difference in the success/failures of this team. Emphasis on failures of course. If anything the Braves got a very likeable good natured guy who loves to have fun. Fans will love him too.

  6. #164
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    16,046
    Thanks
    1,002
    Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,905 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Why are people up in arms over this trade? From the sound of it the Braves traded some no name prospects for a once proven major league talent. He's on the decline (been that way for a few years now on offense) and last season his defense began to dip as well. The Reds by all accounts are paying most if not all of his salary? I know the Braves lost two future HOFers by most standards around here, but this trade doesn't really make a single difference in the success/failures of this team. Emphasis on failures of course. If anything the Braves got a very likeable good natured guy who loves to have fun. Fans will love him too.
    Pretty sure most are in agreement that this is not a bad move any means.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (02-12-2017)

  8. #165
    Sabermetric Slut
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Your Mom's Basement
    Posts
    16,046
    Thanks
    1,002
    Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,905 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    This might be Coppy's best trade outside of Miller to AZ. We're getting Phillips for virtually free. This is awesome.
    If his defense returns we have the upside of a 1.5-2 WAR player for next to nothing. Not a bad gamble.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (02-12-2017)

  10. #166
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,636
    Thanks
    903
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 819 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This is what makes it a decent trade for me. I'd rather have Phillips' potential upside for $1 million and two non-prospects than Utley's potential upside for $2 million.

    Would personally rather have played Jace because it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal when the brass decides it's time to plug Albies in, but you have to assume they've had that discussion with BP already and made him aware that he's simply a placeholder.
    The price will be about the same for both players if Phillips stinks it up and is DFA'd. I feel like Utley has the better chance of contributing, but they'll both likely be sub 1.5 WAR players.

  11. #167
    Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    906
    Thanks
    285
    Thanked 195 Times in 135 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not up in arms, it's a good deal with zero risk and zero downside with a lot of potential upside. My point is that people should not expect to see 27 year old Brandon Phillips because he's a below avg player these days. he has the potential to rebound and be averagish, but it's not as likely as his declining more. but for $1m, there's no downside at all. if he stinks, you release him.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

  12. #168
    It's OVER 5,000! zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    5,044
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 724 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, Phillips veteran leadership and grit is unmatched. For the record thewupk, I'm not trying to discredit you and I think you bring up great points, I'm just playing the devils advocate. I'm an advanced stats guy and an eyeball guy. I'd rather have a hometown guy who used to be be a star playing in this transition year than Jace who has just never impressed me. I think he'll bring some excitement to the team and the fans personally.

    I'm also wondering if Jace gets traded now, not that he'd garner much, but he could be included in a larger deal. One thing seems certain now, Ablies is the guy as I can't see Dozier even being an option now unless its for 3rd. If that were the case, I'd imagine the package would be centered around MLB ready pitching and Demeritte. But that's not happening.

  13. #169
    It's OVER 5,000! zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    5,044
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 724 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @Enscheff.... what if BP transitions to pitcher and becomes our ACE??? Hahaha. Look we both have very strong views and when the season starts I'm going to live up to my side of the signature bet. I need to know what that signature needs to be though, and it needs to be within at least some tasteful reason. Truth is, I do enjoy you for the most part so let's bury the hatchet and keep disagreeing but maybe not quite as nasty and personal, but I think we both bring up good points at times... and sometimes we don't.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 02-12-2017 at 12:52 PM.

  14. #170
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,191
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 860 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do wish we didn't give Phillips a no-trade clause. Not that he'd bring back anything for value, but if Ozzie is ready during the summer, I'm sure a contender would at least give up something for Phillips, even if it was just to be a bench player.

  15. #171
    It's OVER 5,000! CrimsonCowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Posts
    10,350
    Thanks
    421
    Thanked 4,098 Times in 1,814 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should be no complaints from Braves fans about this trade. None.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

    50PoundHead (02-12-2017),BedellBrave (02-14-2017),BoneThrower (02-12-2017),Garmel (02-12-2017),Individual-1 (02-12-2017)

  17. #172
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    11,630
    Thanks
    1,302
    Thanked 3,337 Times in 2,002 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I do wish we didn't give Phillips a no-trade clause. Not that he'd bring back anything for value, but if Ozzie is ready during the summer, I'm sure a contender would at least give up something for Phillips, even if it was just to be a bench player.
    He might also waive his no trade if he can win. I know he didn't last year but who wants to play with herpes in DC. We just need to find a better team to trade him too.

  18. #173
    Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    906
    Thanks
    285
    Thanked 195 Times in 135 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Plus, Phillips veteran leadership and grit is unmatched. For the record thewupk, I'm not trying to discredit you and I think you bring up great points, I'm just playing the devils advocate. I'm an advanced stats guy and an eyeball guy. I'd rather have a hometown guy who used to be be a star playing in this transition year than Jace who has just never impressed me. I think he'll bring some excitement to the team and the fans personally.

    I'm also wondering if Jace gets traded now, not that he'd garner much, but he could be included in a larger deal. One thing seems certain now, Ablies is the guy as I can't see Dozier even being an option now unless its for 3rd. If that were the case, I'd imagine the package would be centered around MLB ready pitching and Demeritte. But that's not happening.
    Nah, we need Jace as a utility guy now more than ever since S-Rod might miss the entire year. As far as Dozier goes, that would, IMO, be a mistake. He only has 2 years left and we aren't going to be playoff ready by then. He is the kind of move a team like the Dodgers make to shore up a final spot or two on an already playoff caliber team. But the Twins wanted the moon, so they settled for a pretty good player instead for less cost.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

  19. #174
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    18,143
    Thanks
    6,991
    Thanked 7,099 Times in 4,070 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hoping that Phillips will want to play for the hometown team and a contender.

    The Reds have been in that downward spiral for a few years. Hopefully this gives a little pep in his step to show the young guys he still got game.
    Forever Fredi


  20. #175
    10 yr, $185 million Extension striker42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,516
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 980 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Braves want Jace to be a super sub. He'll get plenty of ABs in that role.

  21. #176
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    18,143
    Thanks
    6,991
    Thanked 7,099 Times in 4,070 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PLAYOFFS CONFIRMED BABY.

    LOVING THIS TEAM FOR 2017. Then Albies comes in mid season too! Albies can learn a lot from Phillips even if he has lost some steps. No-lose situation here guys. If he hits with some pop it's even better. We're paying him peanuts.
    Forever Fredi


  22. #177
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,107
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 371 Times in 277 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    With SRod being out significant time, this is a great trade when we gave up garbage and we are paying 1 million... lot better than any Utley crap
    This.....and what do you bet "if" he does well and has a chance to go to a team that could win the WS...he will waive his clause. So, the Braves can still totally flip him with his approval.

    They covered for the SRod loss nicely. Didn't give up prospects and bought time for Albies with a very competent vet. What's not to like again?? SRod will basically be lost for the year. Even if he comes back this year, by the time he gets back in the groove...the season will be over.

  23. #178
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    18,143
    Thanks
    6,991
    Thanked 7,099 Times in 4,070 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    This.....and what do you bet "if" he does well and has a chance to go to a team that could win the WS...he will waive his clause. So, the Braves can still totally flip him with his approval.

    They covered for the SRod loss nicely. Didn't give up prospects and bought time for Albies with a very competent vet. What's not to like again?? SRod will basically be lost for the year. Even if he comes back this year, by the time he gets back in the groove...the season will be over.
    Or we'll be playoff hunting.
    Forever Fredi


  24. #179
    It's OVER 5,000! zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    5,044
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 724 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    Nah, we need Jace as a utility guy now more than ever since S-Rod might miss the entire year. As far as Dozier goes, that would, IMO, be a mistake. He only has 2 years left and we aren't going to be playoff ready by then. He is the kind of move a team like the Dodgers make to shore up a final spot or two on an already playoff caliber team. But the Twins wanted the moon, so they settled for a pretty good player instead for less cost.
    I don't want Dozier, I was just saying that's the only way I see him being a part of the team anymore. I think we'll pick up a new util guy if Jace goes. I just get the feeling the Braves don't really want Jace on the team.

  25. #180
    It's OVER 5,000! zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    5,044
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 724 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we can sign Phillips to a 6 year extension after the year.


  26. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (02-15-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •