Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Braves to acquire Brandon Phillips

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    E-bar was also in a new situation in a contract year.
    And significant pieces were involved in getting him... little different. Not to mention Phillips has always been a much better player.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Little-mentioned fact. Phillips was part of the trade that sent him, Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Lee Stevens from the Expos to the Indians in exchange for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew. I believe the Expos were being run by MLB and Selig at that time and I thought the trade was some part of conspiracy to contract to Expos by emptying their minor league system of high-ceiling stars. Anyway, now Phillips and Colon are teammates.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2017), Julio3000 (02-13-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Little-mentioned fact. Phillips was part of the trade that sent him, Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Lee Stevens from the Expos to the Indians in exchange for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew. I believe the Expos were being run by MLB and Selig at that time and I thought the trade was some part of conspiracy to contract to Expos by emptying their minor league system of high-ceiling stars. Anyway, now Phillips and Colon are teammates.
    Speaking of which, we should give Lee an offer!
    Forever Fredi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-13-2017), Prikichi (02-13-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawwr View Post
    Is "fantasy baseball people" the new dog whistling term for statheads or something? I've seen a bunch more people complaining about fantasy baseball this offseason and I can't figure out what they're upset about.
    Who knows. It's time for baseball. I prefer a mix of basic stats and the eyeball test. As for the deal, we already had SRod and were trying to get BP before the accident. To give up very little for a stop gap who can still play is good to me.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    One of 2 possibilities. Either it was a deliberate attempt to sabotage the Expos or demonstrated Frank Robinson's incompetence. Brandon Phillips was actually considered the centerpiece of the deal at the time. Grady Sizemore ended up being pretty amazing for a while, and nobody expected that Cliff Lee would be practically all world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Yep. That franchise got royally ****ed. Twice.

Let'a not forget that the MLB team already had Guerrero, Vidro, Cabrera, Bautista, Vasquez and Armas Jr. Without that trade, they likely don't have to spend so much time rebuilding when they moved to Washington.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    And significant pieces were involved in getting him... little different. Not to mention Phillips has always been a much better player.
    True, this isn't like the Simmons trade at all. The Braves gave up almost nothing here and are not paying him much either. So if he busts like Aybar you just release him. But there was a reason no one but the Braves had any interest in Phillips and even the Braves still had concerns about his hand injury (according to the Bowman article at Braves.com). That said, hopefully it works out and he bounces back on defense as that is what I most liked about him prior to last year's decline.

Whatever gain Phillips may bring is more than off-set by the loss of Sean Rodriguez IMHO. I really liked that signing and it sucks that he'll likely miss the season now. He could've really helped out everywhere and also with his bat more than Phillips too.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I wasn't comparing Phillips trade to the Simmons trade. I was simply saying all the stuff about Phillips resurgence is the same crap I spewed last year about Eric

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-14-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    I remember the reason the trade was made was because the Expos were in first place at the time but there was a strong belief that they were going to be contacted at the end of the year. Obviously it looks real bad in retrospect but it made sense at the time.