Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    My entire point was that you're attempting to objectively analyze a very subjective process, which comes with inherent flaws. And surplus value is nowhere near developed to the point to use it in such a clear-cut way.

Sure, I know the Braves prospects more than I know the Yankees prospects. You know who knows both? The guys who do this for a living. They all, without fail, say the Braves' group is much better than anyone else's and frankly deeper than any group they've seen. I'm going on their word, not my own.

I don't have to come up with data to prove it just because you decided to use data to argue your point. You can believe what you want and use whatever system you want. I was simply pointing out the flaws in this strategy. I still believe the best way to evaluate farm systems is to listen to the people who know these guys and scout them continuously. You also believe this because you are using their rankings. It's just that their rankings are not hard and fast enough to be used in the way you're trying to use them.

Again, it's great for discussion and interesting, but I'd rather simply take their subjective opinions, especially when they align so closely, than to try to use a subjective process to produce objective analysis. It would require far more research and analytical data than the very basic idea of surplus value to do so effectively.

I prefer to use their actual valuations of guys than a ranking, especially since they acknowledge the distance between #30 and #120 in the ranking may be virtually nothing, yet they're separated by 90 spots in that ranking and in your surplus valuation.
    What are you even talking about?

I said the Braves have the #1 system. In fact, I said they are #1 by a significant margin ($350M to $300M). You are arguing against a point I never made.

And I'm going to pretend you didn't actually write "I don't have to come up with data to prove it just because you decided to use data to argue your point". That has to be the most non-intellectual statement I have seen anyone write in quite some time. You're smarter than that...I hope.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-15-2017 at 04:44 PM.