Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Braves Pitchers And Catchers Report Today!

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Hope he hooked up with Neck and showed him how to lift weights again.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (02-17-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm not sold on him being a tremendous liability. Maybe just a regularly sub par defender. Getting in shape can change a lot of things with movement and flexibility.
    He's been a disaster for the last 3 years and wasn't out of shape for that whole stretch. If he can just cost us 1 win on defense, I'll be thrilled, but I don't think he can get there.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He's been a disaster for the last 3 years and wasn't out of shape for that whole stretch. If he can just cost us 1 win on defense, I'll be thrilled, but I don't think he can get there.
    Kemp's value will be in his oWAR. If we are thinking of moving him next off season, he will have to have a big year at the plate. What he does in the field will just have to be accepted as 'it is what it is'.. If he OPS's to an .850 range, then we have something that can be moved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    He's been dealing with injuries which resulted in the weight gain. While it doesn't explain the horrid numbers in totality this should not be ignored. The results don't give insight into the why. It's just a summary of what.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    He's been dealing with injuries which resulted in the weight gain. While it doesn't explain the horrid numbers in totality this should not be ignored. The results don't give insight into the why. It's just a summary of what.
    Right, I just don't have a lot of hope for him returning to his 'not good' form. He's 32 and likely not going to start heading back in the other direction.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Right, I just don't have a lot of hope for him returning to his 'not good' form. He's 32 and likely not going to start heading back in the other direction.
    there could be better results with increased mobility.. but he will never go to a plus defender status.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Kemp's value will be in his oWAR. If we are thinking of moving him next off season, he will have to have a big year at the plate. What he does in the field will just have to be accepted as 'it is what it is'.. If he OPS's to an .850 range, then we have something that can be moved.
    Sure, I was just responding specifically to the claim that he would vault us into one of the top 1-4 in baseball. In order for Kemp to be worth 2-3 WAR, he needs to either rake and improve his defense, or keep his defense where it is and RAKE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Sure, I was just responding specifically to the claim that he would vault us into one of the top 1-4 in baseball. In order for Kemp to be worth 2-3 WAR, he needs to either rake and improve his defense, or keep his defense where it is and RAKE.
    I think both will improve.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    yeah I know. And I agree with your statement.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts

Get off my lawn!

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    train to reign is the hoodie i guess Ron is wearing?

hood part looks the same

was curious what it was but not a fan of the train to reign slogan on the front for me to buy it for myself
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    The Talking Chop crew did an interview with Coppy. Most interesting part is the comparison he makes between the Braves' and Cubs' rebuild processes (starts around the 8 minute mark). Paraphrasing here, but he says they didn't feel the longer rebuild time-horizon that the Cubs used was an option for them . . . and that the Cubs had a lot more money at their disposal.

Also, he mentioned that some team offered Maitan around $10m, and he stuck to his word to sign with the Braves for half of that.

https://soundcloud.com/foxsportssout...active-trading

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    If he doesn't think the Braves have time for a longer rebuild than he should brought in actual MLB players instead of car accident and two 40 something year old pitchers.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    If he doesn't think the Braves have time for a longer rebuild than he should brought in actual MLB players instead of car accident and two 40 something year old pitchers.
    I like you but complete dick move about Srod

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The good news is that his range (by UZR standards) was better with the Braves than anything he's done since 2011. Small sample of course but we will see how it plays out over a full season. I do think he will cost the team about 1 win on defense (fangraphs version) when not factoring in the position adjustment.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The good news is that his range (by UZR standards) was better with the Braves than anything he's done since 2011. Small sample of course but we will see how it plays out over a full season. I do think he will cost the team about 1 win on defense (fangraphs version) when not factoring in the position adjustment.
    Yet he still somehow had a -1.5 dWAR in 56 games for us, which is truly impressive in its utter atrociousness. And even when he was in peak form, his 2010 defensive season was one of the worst of all-time.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Yet he still somehow had a -1.5 dWAR in 56 games for us, which is truly impressive in its utter atrociousness. And even when he was in peak form, his 2010 defensive season was one of the worst of all-time.
    What we are talking about are 3 completely different things. dWAR is from bref and uses DRS as it's defensive metric. DRS was much more unkind to Kemp than UZR was (which is what fangraphs uses). Also, dWAR includes the positional penalty of playing left which I was leaving out.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I like you but complete dick move about Srod
    Why respond when *ssholes say stupid *hit like that? Exactly what they're looking for.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    What we are talking about are 3 completely different things. dWAR is from bref and uses DRS as it's defensive metric. DRS was much more unkind to Kemp than UZR was (which is what fangraphs uses). Also, dWAR includes the positional penalty of playing left which I was leaving out.
    I like DRS better, but regardless, he was terrible last year. The uptick in UZR is more likely a fluke than it was legitimate improvement.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Why respond when *ssholes say stupid *hit like that? Exactly what they're looking for.
    It's true. The Braves biggest offseason additions were two 40 year old pitchers and a utility guy who is probably not playing at all this season. Sure it was low on my part, but it's more of an indictment on how poorly Coppy and this rebuild process are going.