Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Braves Pitchers And Catchers Report Today!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    It's true. The Braves biggest offseason additions were two 40 year old pitchers and a utility guy who is probably not playing at all this season. Sure it was low on my part, but it's more of an indictment on how poorly Coppy and this rebuild process are going.
    Not really true. What is true is that it shows that Coppy and the Johns are willing to mislead the great unwashed by what they say in effort to get them to the new ballpark (which isn't unusual for any MLB management team). It doesn't appear that they have deviated a significant amount from the rebuild process since they have refused to part with significant prospect talent to improve on a short term basis. In fact, you could say that they actually added MORE high end prospect talent in the offseason (Gohara, Jackson) than anything they gave up.

This offseason has been a lot of public bravado about being a competitive team in 2017. But, the word competitive means different things to different people.

They are looking to get incrementally better each year - 68 wins, 75 wins, 81 wins, 85 wins, 90 wins, etc. as the young talent hits the ML level. I think that is their plan.

I disagree that their plan is the most efficient way to rebuild, but their way is ONE way.

My way, I wouldn't have fired Fredi last year and saved the money and proceeded to finish dead last (better draft position and more money). I would have moved Markakis when I could, traded Inciarte for hopefully an Eaton-like return, never traded for Kemp and looked for cheap reclamation for the OF hoping 1 or 2 rebound enough to trade for more value. I would have entertained offers for Freddie and pulled the trigger if a good enough offer came by. Swanson would have stayed in the minors last year. Teheran would be traded. I would have loaded the rotation with one year (or short year) guys who I might be able to flip for value, which would allow me to buy time for in house guys to develop without running their ML clocks. Same for the pen.

Then I would start really building the team after 2017 & 2018 through FA signings and influx of finished products from the minor league teams. In my way, the minors would have 2 more years of top of the draft talent plus whatever was picked up through all the trades.

BUT, my way would have resulted in a much lower attendance number in the new park than Coppy's way. I would be OK with that since the payroll would be lower as well. I think in most ML cities, Atlanta especially, fans come to see winners they don't really come to see OK teams or even perpetually close teams. Not all cities are like that (Cards, Cubs) but most are.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-19-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I like DRS better, but regardless, he was terrible last year. The uptick in UZR is more likely a fluke than it was legitimate improvement.
    We shall see how things go. There is no sugar coating how his defense has been the past few years. Saying it's bad is being kind to him. I'm hoping he can be -10 runs for a left fielder next year. If he can do that I think his offense will be good enough to be a solid contributor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Everything with Kemp coming up roses so far. Color me surprised.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (02-19-2017), Chico (02-20-2017), gamecock4braves (02-19-2017), goldfly (02-20-2017), GovClintonTyree (02-19-2017), JohnAdcox (02-19-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (02-19-2017), smootness (02-20-2017), The Chosen One (02-19-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I'm not.

Kemp wants to be here. He's already proven that.
    Forever Fredi

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-20-2017), JohnAdcox (02-19-2017), weso1 (02-19-2017)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    It's true. The Braves biggest offseason additions were two 40 year old pitchers and a utility guy who is probably not playing at all this season. Sure it was low on my part, but it's more of an indictment on how poorly Coppy and this rebuild process are going.
    Generally, I'm amused by your profound cynicism. It's funny. Not this time.

You could have made the point without the SRod reference, which was unforseeable and a tragedy.

His wife and children were seriously injured, he wound up with a career-threatening injury.

There are things that are funny and things that are not. You crossed a line. Maybe you'd like to pull that comment off the board.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We shall see how things go. There is no sugar coating how his defense has been the past few years. Saying it's bad is being kind to him. I'm hoping he can be -10 runs for a left fielder next year. If he can do that I think his offense will be good enough to be a solid contributor.
    I'm going to predict a massive offensive year for him with tolerable defense. I'll go with your defensive prediction and predict .305/.360/.590, 155 games, 42 HR, 124 RBI, 100 runs scored, and 10 bags just for the hell of it. Can you live with the-10?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Kemps going to have a monster season. Can't wait for the games to start.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (02-20-2017), mossy (02-20-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I'm going to predict a massive offensive year for him with tolerable defense. I'll go with your defensive prediction and predict .305/.360/.590, 155 games, 42 HR, 124 RBI, 100 runs scored, and 10 bags just for the hell of it. Can you live with the-10?
    Sure. I mean if he can duplicate his best offensive season then you won't see any complaints from anyone about how bad his defense is hurting the team.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I apologize if this has been covered. Have all position players reported? I don't recall seeing Adonis Garcia for example.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to seanyates For This Useful Post:

mossy (02-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyates View Post
    The comment below it is hilarious

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Winkler likely to start on DL as hes a little behind per MR. reason to believe.
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm starting to get sucked in that we could be decent. My mind is telling me no but my heart is thethe in spirit.

I don't think it's crazy to think our BP could be really good. And we have so many BP arms that they should be rested and used well.

If these guys are 75% or better of their second halfs then I have to like a line up of Ender, Swanson, FF, Kemp, Markakis, Phillips. I still think it's possible that a Garcia/ruiz platoon will happen and it will be ok. I think it's possible that our Catchers can be solid 8th place hitters and take their gimme walks.

JT and Folty are good. This could be Folty's year. Dickey and Colon may show their age this year, but maybe not. At least 1 will be good. Garcia could be really good. One of Wisler and Blair could live up to some of the prospect hype.

I'm talking myself into this.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm starting to get sucked in that we could be decent. My mind is telling me no but my heart is thethe in spirit.

I don't think it's crazy to think our BP could be really good. And we have so many BP arms that they should be rested and used well.

If these guys are 75% or better of their second halfs then I have to like a line up of Ender, Swanson, FF, Kemp, Markakis, Phillips. I still think it's possible that a Garcia/ruiz platoon will happen and it will be ok. I think it's possible that our Catchers can be solid 8th place hitters and take their gimme walks.

JT and Folty are good. This could be Folty's year. Dickey and Colon may show their age this year, but maybe not. At least 1 will be good. Garcia could be really good. One of Wisler and Blair could live up to some of the prospect hype.

I'm talking myself into this.
    The bullpen will be even better than last year considered we have 5 starters that will eat innings.

The top 4 in the lineup could be really good

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    https://twitter.com/grantmcauley/sta...14230166618112

Gotta appreciate Kemps work ethic.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The bullpen will be even better than last year considered we have 5 starters that will eat innings.

The top 4 in the lineup could be really good
    I will take our 1-4 against any other 1-4 in baseball if they are on....last season we saw production from Inciarte, Swanson, Freeman, and Kemp....our bullpen and rotation blew a lot of games IMO....if they are better this season, I think we are really going to surprise some people

Also, not that it's related, the Falcons opened the season at 101-1 odds to go to the Super Bowl.....the Braves open spring training at the same odds to go to the WS.....
    Get off my lawn!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

zedsdead (02-20-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I will take our 1-4 against any other 1-4 in baseball if they are on....last season we saw production from Inciarte, Swanson, Freeman, and Kemp....our bullpen and rotation blew a lot of games IMO....if they are better this season, I think we are really going to surprise some people

Also, not that it's related, the Falcons opened the season at 101-1 odds to go to the Super Bowl.....the Braves open spring training at the same odds to go to the WS.....
    Cubs, Red Sox, etc. etc.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Cubs, Red Sox, etc. etc.
    Yea...I'm not thinking we're a top line up in baseball. But we could be a good line up in baseball. We could be a slightly north of 500 line up (not that I'd predict that but we could).