Thread: Missed this in Nov.: PROPS to Matt Kennelly

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Missed this in Nov.: PROPS to Matt Kennelly

PERTH -- The Perth Heat are proud to announce Matt Kennelly as the club's Manager for the 2016/17 Australian Baseball League season.
    After a lengthy search locally, nationally and abroad to replace Kevin Boles, it was Matt's vision, hunger for success and outstanding character that saw him win out the role against other highly credentialed candidates.
    Matt's no stranger to Heat fans having been a key part of the team's success on the field since the ABL returned in 2010. As part of Claxton Shield winning teams prior to the ABL, Kennelly is a member of the famed "Heat Dynasty" team who won four ABL Championships in six years.
    This appointment pens a new chapter in the storied Kennelly brother's journey and throughout the recruitment process Matt said the advice he got from his brothers helped give him the extra confidence required moving into this role.
    "My family is always very supportive. We spoke about the massive opportunity that was presented to me, and that they would continue to support me throughout the season in this new role," he said. "They said they would love to play with me as the manager, so it added to my decision to accept the offer."
    Born and bred in Perth, Matt becomes the fourth manager of the Heat since the revamped ABL commenced in 2010, but the first who has come through the Baseball WA system. He noted how the system has moulded him to be ready to take on this role.
    "I am very lucky and grateful to have come through a program run by guys such as Don Kyle, Mark Pettit and Rod Drew, so I would like to run a similar ship." Kennelly said. "I have also had some very influential managers in the USA during my time with the Atlanta Braves, so with the knowledge I have gained from them I'm sure it will make for an easier transition."
    Former teammate of Matt's and current Heat CEO Lachlan Dale said Kennelly's was a significant one and has no doubt Matt is the right man for the job.
    "It's a really exciting opportunity for Matt to take the reigns as the Manager of the Perth Heat and it will obviously be a little different from playing," Dale said. "We think that part of the success of our High Performance program is that we create an environment for our elite players to stay around the game at the end of their playing careers and impart their knowledge and expertise to our future players. Matt has gained a tremendous amount of experience through his baseball journey we're sure that Matt will galvanise the WA local players support networks which has provided so much success in the past."

UPDATE: Tough rookie season. Perth went 14-26 for Matt, last place in the six-team league. But his brother Tim was among league leaders with .323 average.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-20-2017)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    does anybody know how popular the ABL is in Australia? is it like roller derby here or something closer to a real sport?