Thread: Agents and the risk presented to players

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Agents and the risk presented to players

Say what you want about a guy like Boras, but he ALWAYS seems to be maximizing what the player gets. As a fan that can be frustrating but in a way it's his (and his firm) job.

Which got me to wondering: I wonder if and/or how often an agent gets in trouble financially or a little cash strapped or sniffing retirement themselves and they push a player into a contract or extension that may not be in the absolute best interests of the player.

It could be hard to detect and may not ever be detected (in fact, in the case of injury it might actually work out to the benefit of the player).

For example let's say a player (I will use Chipper since he's retired) let's say CJ is in his first year of arby and his agent is going through a divorce and needs some cash to buy out the equity in the home he shares with his soon to be ex and he starts selling CJ on the idea of a contract extension with the Braves where CJ get's more guaranteed money (and a big signing bonus) but gives up earning potential through his arby years. Maybe the Braves weren't even thinking extension but fell into the happy occurrence.

It might actually be CJ giving up millions of dollars of potential earnings. But, his agent needed cash now and unless CJ (or others) was privy to that info, he may go along thinking he got a great deal. And, if he blew his knee out in year 2 of the deal and never played again, it would be.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Say what you want about a guy like Boras, but he ALWAYS seems to be maximizing what the player gets. As a fan that can be frustrating but in a way it's his (and his firm) job.

Which got me to wondering: I wonder if and/or how often an agent gets in trouble financially or a little cash strapped or sniffing retirement themselves and they push a player into a contract or extension that may not be in the absolute best interests of the player.

It could be hard to detect and may not ever be detected (in fact, in the case of injury it might actually work out to the benefit of the player).

For example let's say a player (I will use Chipper since he's retired) let's say CJ is in his first year of arby and his agent is going through a divorce and needs some cash to buy out the equity in the home he shares with his soon to be ex and he starts selling CJ on the idea of a contract extension with the Braves where CJ get's more guaranteed money (and a big signing bonus) but gives up earning potential through his arby years. Maybe the Braves weren't even thinking extension but fell into the happy occurrence.

It might actually be CJ giving up millions of dollars of potential earnings. But, his agent needed cash now and unless CJ (or others) was privy to that info, he may go along thinking he got a great deal. And, if he blew his knee out in year 2 of the deal and never played again, it would be.
    Certainly possible, but I suspect if that were the case, word would get out pretty quickly. Might be good for them in the short term, but would be a future career killer. I suspect if it could be proven, there would be an opportunity for a player to collect damages in court. Sounds like a huge risk for the agent as well as for the player.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Certainly possible, but I suspect if that were the case, word would get out pretty quickly. Might be good for them in the short term, but would be a future career killer. I suspect if it could be proven, there would be an opportunity for a player to collect damages in court. Sounds like a huge risk for the agent as well as for the player.
    Certainly trouble IF it was found out or detected or maybe even just suspected. But, I think it could be camouflaged pretty easily.

I don't know if this happens or if it ever has, but I suspect it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Agents rarely push players one way or the other. The player tells the agent what they want. If they tell the agent I want to sign a long term deal with my current team the agent will negotiate the best deal he can and bring it to the player to accept or decline. When you hear a player blame their agent or say its between the agent and the team he is just deflecting blame. Agents act as a lightning rod for the hate. Thats literally part of their job. Borass sells every player that he will get them the most money possible. If they sign with him thats what they want. Its not Borass pushing them, its what they want. This is why I say Borass clients have bad makeup and should be avoided.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.