Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for Games ...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    That's kinda the whole point. It's time for Folty - and maybe to a little lesser extent Wisler - to take steps forward if they're to be considered long-term pieces. As mentioned, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them as league-average guys while they're inexpensive, but if they're going to become core pieces for the long run it's probably time for them to start to step up and exceed that. Otherwise, as you or several others have mentioned before, it's time to consider including them in trades while they're still relatively cheap if we're not sold that they'll ever be more than back-end starters.
    League average starters make 15 million a year. There is plenty of time before Folty were to reach that level of financial investment. The idea that this is his last shot at being a starter here is dumb.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-07-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    League average starters make 15 million a year. There is plenty of time before Folty were to reach that level of financial investment. The idea that this is his last shot at being a starter here is dumb.
    that was my point as well. I have no issues with anyone thinking Folty's ultimate fate lies in the pen, but this is NOT his last year as a starter. If the Braves do go that route (without good reason) then I go complete 180 on this front office and organization's ability to develop players.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It's this simple:

1) If Folty isn't starting here, he either has to be starting in AAA or in the Atlanta pen. Neither are good options and neither is good for his development.
    2) The other options are Wisler, Blair, and Danks. Those options are not that good and not as good as Folty right now.

Folty has to be the #5 starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Thread likely needs to stay on topic or split off into its own Folty thread.
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-06-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    And Julio and four league average starters don't make you a contender.

2016 playoff teams:

Cubs - Arrieta, Lester, Hendricks, Lackey, Hammel (1 league average starter at most)
    Indians - Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar, Bauer, Tomlin (2 league average starters)
    Dodgers - Kershaw, Hill, Maeda, Urias, Kazmir/McCarthy (2 league average starters)
    Blue Jays - Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, Stroman, Liriano (1 league average starter)
    Giants - Bumgarner, Cueto, Samardzija, Moore, pick one (1 league average starter)
    Red Sox - Price, Porcello, Wright, pick two (2 league average starters)
    Gnats - Scherzer, Strasburg, Roark, Gonzalez, Ross (2 league average starters)
    Rangers - Darvish, Hamels, Lewis, pick two (3 league average starters)
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-06-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    LOL of all of our problems Folty is very far from the biggest.

I'd be more concerned about all those great pitching prospects we acquired busting.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    You are right. We will need some pitchers to develop into above average starters. You do that by playing them and hope they improve. Cutting bait after one full year is not how you develop guys.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

2016 playoff teams:

Cubs - Arrieta, Lester, Hendricks, Lackey, Hammel (1 league average starter at most)
    Indians - Kluber, Carrasco, Salazar, Bauer, Tomlin (2 league average starters)
    Dodgers - Kershaw, Hill, Maeda, Urias, Kazmir/McCarthy (2 league average starters)
    Blue Jays - Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, Stroman, Liriano (1 league average starter)
    Giants - Bumgarner, Cueto, Samardzija, Moore, pick one (1 league average starter)
    Red Sox - Price, Porcello, Wright, pick two (2 league average starters)
    Gnats - Scherzer, Strasburg, Roark, Gonzalez, Ross (2 league average starters)
    Rangers - Darvish, Hamels, Lewis, pick two (3 league average starters)
    I thought the Red Sox have Chris Sale.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I thought the Red Sox have Chris Sale.
    Those were the Pitchers those playoff teams had last season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-07-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    As much as I hate to agree with Clv, he's right in regards to Folty. This is his last chance to prove he is more than a 1-2 win pitcher in Atlanta. If he doesn't take the next step (which I think he will) to being a 2-3 win pitcher this year, there is little chance the Braves keep him around.

Quite simply, the Braves have too many young pitchers that will need to be given a chance as early as next year to allow an under-performing "stuff" guy to take up space in the rotation. The Braves consider themselves "contenders" now, and contenders with a lot of young talent on the farm don't wait around for a 26 year old that can't produce 2+ WAR. We have seen those "stuff" pitchers routinely bring back out-sized returns in trades, so trading him might very well be the best way to maximize his value to the organization.

I think Folty easily produces 2-3 WAR this season and cements his spot in the 2018 rotation, but if he doesn't I could certainly see the Braves moving on from him.

If he does post a 2-3 win season, I would like to see the Braves give him a 3-5 year deal that buys out his age 26 through 29 or 30 seasons. Something like 3 years plus 1-2 option years that buy out 1-2 FA years. That would allow the Braves to trade Julio after the 2018 season, and then trade Folty after the 2019 season, and keep the line of pitchers moving.

EDIT: Looks like Folty is already controlled through his age 29 season. I suppose there is no reason to extend him unless he wants to give the Braves a team option on his age 30 season.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-06-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    I think the debate was starting vs. reliever. I wouldn't be surprised if the Braves traded anyone at anytime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The distant golden future has a major league staff mainly populated by the guys who pitched in Rome or lower last season.

The current reality is we just had to pick up guys like Colon, Dickey and Garcia to round out the rotation.

There will be an interim period between the current reality and the distant golden future when things will sort themselves out. And during this period we really do have to give guys like Folty and Wisler some additional opportunities. I wouldn't say 2017 is a make or break year for them. It is an important year for them. But I could see one or both needing another year to figure things out before going on to fine major league careers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I wonder if the Braves will get Rob Refsnyder from the Yankees, he could be a platoon + bench piece and is being shopped. Maybe trade Krol or someone like that for him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The distant golden future has a major league staff mainly populated by the guys who pitched in Rome or lower last season.

The current reality is we just had to pick up guys like Colon, Dickey and Garcia to round out the rotation.

There will be an interim period between the current reality and the distant golden future when things will sort themselves out. And during this period we really do have to give guys like Folty and Wisler some additional opportunities. I wouldn't say 2017 is a make or break year for them. It is an important year for them. But I could see one or both needing another year to figure things out before going on to fine major league careers.
    I thought the Colon signing made sense, though an overpay and the Dickey signing was my favorite but I still question the Garcia trade as I am not even sure he'll stay healthy or be effective again even if so. I hated giving up as much as we did for him too. I still like Gant and he was a local too. I could see Gant doing just as well as Garcia if not better in the rotation if given a fair shot. Plus Garcia's not cheap and that money could've been better used IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I thought the Colon signing made sense, though an overpay and the Dickey signing was my favorite but I still question the Garcia trade as I am not even sure he'll stay healthy or be effective again even if so. I hated giving up as much as we did for him too. I still like Gant and he was a local too. I could see Gant doing just as well as Garcia if not better in the rotation if given a fair shot. Plus Garcia's not cheap and that money could've been better used IMO.
    If Garcia is healthy, Gant isn't even in the same ballpark. Garcia has filthy stuff if he's healthy. He was fantastic during the first half but tired out and struggled the second half. Likely because it was the first time in a long time he pitched anywhere near that amount. If he's healthy, Garcia is easily our second best pitcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Peterson SS
    Bonifacio CF
    Phillips 2b
    Garcia 3B
    Recker C
    Acuna RF
    Micah Johnson LF
    Tuiasisopo 1b
    Davidson DH

Garcia on the bump
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You can just tell how the otganization views acuna based on the number of appearances he is getting.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Guess Albies wasn't cleared yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    You can just tell how the otganization views acuna based on the number of appearances he is getting.
    no surprise they have given so at bats to him....the at bats to Davidson is more intriguing

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Acuna just turned 19. How many guys that age have we ever had get this much time at spring training?