Thread: Pence Used AOL Account for State Business As He Complained About Clinton’s Emails

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Pence Used AOL Account for State Business As He Complained About Clinton’s Emails

- by Margaret Hartmann

Back in September, then–Indiana governor Mike Pence said Hillary Clinton’s handling of her emails “disqualify her from serving as president,” during an appearance on Meet the Press. “She either knew or should’ve known that she was placing classified information in a way that exposed it to being hacked and being made available in the public domain, even to enemies of this country,” Pence explained.

As Pence said this, he was using an AOL account to conduct state business — and he’d been hacked three months earlier.

IndyStar reported on Thursday that Pence routinely used his personal account to discuss state matters, such as Indiana’s response to terror attacks and an update from the FBI on charges in a terrorism case.

Following a public records request, IndyStar was given 29 pages of emails from Pence’s AOL account. An unspecified number of emails were withheld because they were deemed too sensitive, which raises further questions about why they were on an AOL account in the first place.

The vice-president’s office responded with this statement: “Similar to previous governors, during his time as Governor of Indiana, Mike Pence maintained a state email account and a personal email account. As Governor, Mr. Pence fully complied with Indiana law regarding email use and retention. Government emails involving his state and personal accounts are being archived by the state consistent with Indiana law, and are being managed according to Indiana’s Access to Public Records Act.”

It isn’t uncommon for state officials to use personal accounts for business, and it’s not against the law in Indiana. Pence’s office said his campaign hired outside counsel to determine which of his personal emails involved official business and should be transferred to the state. This is worrisome for all the reasons described when Clinton deleted what were ostensibly emails about her yoga routine and Chelsea’s wedding.

Of course, as secretary of State, Clinton’s emails were far more sensitive than those of the governor of Indiana. Clinton’s email controversy is also different from Pence’s because, as far as we know, her private server was never hacked.

Back in June, a hacker sent an email from Pence’s address to all of his contacts claiming that he and his wife were robbed and needed friends to wire them money. Pence joked about the incident, and an aide said he shut down that account and opened a new one.

So it appears the hack did not convince Pence that using an AOL account — especially for state business — was unwise, or make him more sympathetic
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Yup...the same exact thing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-03-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Of course, as secretary of State, Clinton’s emails were far more sensitive than those of the governor of Indiana.
    And there is the end of that story.

Next...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    is it ?

I see it as the first shot of the drip drip drip campaign against Pence.
    Who has remained Teflon through all of this mess

Long game gentlemen -- long game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Absurd the straws the left is trying to grasp at right now. You lost...move on.

If all you do is gripe about the past you won't win in 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Absurd the straws the left is trying to grasp at right now. You lost...move on.

If all you do is gripe about the past you won't win in 2020.
    A senior monk and a junior monk were traveling together. At one point, they came to a river with a strong current. As the monks were preparing to cross the river, they saw a very young and beautiful woman also attempting to cross. The young woman asked if they could help her cross to the other side.

The two monks glanced at one another because they had taken vows not to touch a woman.

Then, without a word, the older monk picked up the woman, carried her across the river, placed her gently on the other side, and carried on his 
journey.

The younger monk couldn’t believe what had just happened. After rejoining his companion, he was speechless, and an hour passed without a word between them.

Two more hours passed, then three, finally the younger monk could contain himself any longer, and blurted out “As monks, we are not permitted a woman, how could you then carry that woman on your shoulders?”

The older monk looked at him and replied, “Brother, I set her down on the other side of the river, why are you still carrying her?”

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    is it ?

I see it as the first shot of the drip drip drip campaign against Pence.
    Who has remained Teflon through all of this mess

Long game gentlemen -- long game
    I get the hypocrisy applies to both sides (if you were a "lock her up" type, then you have to be at least somewhat disappointed in Pence).

But considering how much you defended Hilary on something that was far worse, I find it baffling your jumping to the offense against Pence.

Can't we just all agree this is and should be a non-story? At some point, the boy who cried wolf parable comes into play.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    so everything they said they hated Hillary for and made her unfit is what they did themselves

a weird bunch to act so high and mighty
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Comical you think this is the same thing...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    to quote people in south east asia

same same but different

i don't get why he didn't care about protecting himself and the people of Indiana but whatever
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    to quote people in south east asia

same same but different

i don't get why he didn't care about protecting himself and the people of Indiana but whatever
    How did he risk the people of indiana?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I get the hypocrisy applies to both sides (if you were a "lock her up" type, then you have to be at least somewhat disappointed in Pence).

But considering how much you defended Hilary on something that was far worse, I find it baffling your jumping to the offense against Pence.

Can't we just all agree this is and should be a non-story? At some point, the boy who cried wolf parable comes into play.
    I didn't go on the offense about anything but pointed out this is the first in what will be a series of issues shing a dubious light on Pence.
    A drip drip drip campaign

Probably said this earlier, but Pence has come through all the negativity surrounding Trump barely being mentioned.

I feel the same way about Pence's server as I did about HRC.
    Let's see if that sentiment is shared
    Last edited by 57Brave; 03-03-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    This is a funny story and does further expose Pence's hypocrisy. I agree with Hawk that it's part of a 'whatever sticks' strategy but Pence himself has already spoken on it publicly. Apparently it stuck enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    so Mike maybe isn't as -out of the loop as he/they would like you to believe
    couple questions
    a) supposing Trump never knew, why didn't Pence ...
    b) why did Pence lie ????