Thread: Under the radar prospects you are excited/want to see more of this year?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Under the radar prospects you are excited/want to see more of this year?

Who are some of the 'off the radar' prospects you guys are excited to see this year, or even just curious to see? Talking about guys who really haven't gotten much if any prospect love.

Here's a couple of mine;

Pitchers
    Matt Rowland
    6-5 righty that was an overslot signing by the Braves last year in the 11th round, reportedly had a low-mid 90s fastball and a decent slider coming out of HS, missed the entire year with some type of injury that I can't find much information on, but if he can get healthy - you have a big framed righty with pretty decent velo and someone the Braves paid extra money for.

Bryse Wilson
    4th round pick last year, but gets completely overshadowed by Muller/Wentz/Anderson..... already a really good fastball and potentially a solid slider. Probably profiles as a reliever unless his 3rd pitch comes along, but his numbers were exceptional. .68 ERA, 29 SOs, 8 BBs, 26 IPs, .172 BAA.....

Anthony Guardado
    Two years ago the Braves picked Guardado in the 3rd round, since then he's hardly pitched because of injuries; but at one time he had a mid-90s fastball. I imagine its very likely this ship has sailed, but I'm still curious.

Thomas Burrows
    The 'other' guy acquired in the Mallex Smith / Gohara trade. Could be a very real bullpen piece, struck out 37 in 24 IPs last year. Its not overally sexy talking about relievers, but being able to homegrow those bullpen arms is necessary for a mid-market team like Atlanta.

Matt Custred
    Love this dude's bullpen potential --- huge guy (6-6/230) with a big fastball and lots of strikeouts. Another bullpen arm that walks too many, but if he can improve his control some, he could be in Atlanta this year.

Matt Withrow
    Withrow was pretty good as a starter last year but doesn't get much if any fanfare nationally. A college arm, so he's a little older, but big frame with a good fastball.

Hitters
    Conor Lien
    I just want to see a full and healthy season from him. He's got enough tools to be at least a useful 4th outfielder and maybe even a little more than that, but he's had a hard time staying upright. He can steal bases, play defense and hit for a little power.

Livan Soto
    One of our J2 signings, but he tends to get lost behind Matian/Severino/Guitirrez.... I like the sparse reports we've heard about Soto regarding his feel for hitting and baseball instincts.

Braulio Vasquez
    Another J2 signing, much more unheralded than some of our others, put together a really strong showing in the DSL, Longerhans had a brief writeup on him calling him a '55 runner with some feel for hitting, someone to watch in the GCL'.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-03-2017), The Chosen One (03-03-2017)