Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not Even Pretending any longer

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

These guys like Sasse and Amash remind me of when Jack Johnson won and held Heavyweight Championship.
    Tell me more about Amash, please. by my count, he's been consistently critical and has rarely voted with the president.

Or, does the one vote on health care doom hm for the rest of his career in your eyes? If so, I'd be curious if you've given the same level of scrutiny to your friends on the left

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I will humor you.

Amash has had one crucial vote and caved.
    He seems good at being disappointed and concerned and sometimes downright perturbed but the end of the day he has had one vote that mattered and toed the party line
    My guess is the only way he breaks ranks , ever, is if the vote is secured and he is given the go ahead by party and Koch to be a PR rebel. Ala McCain

In (D) primaries I voted for Obama and Sanders based on HRC's Iraq vote.
    Same with Kerry.

To this day both are not my cup of tea based on their Iraq vote.
    Bear in mind I lived in Florida where one of our Senators sat on Intel Committee and publicly stated that more scrutiny should be given to Bush 43's request .
    In my mind both Kerry and Clinton flunked that test.

For context 2 US Senators voted against the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.
    Bonus points to anyone that can name even one
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-03-2017), jpx7 (07-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    If you want to reduce his entire career to that singular vote, then all the power to you and I'll remember that for every candidate you ever support.

He gave a thoughtful, rational reason for it. And I still disagree with him for pulling the trigger on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    You asked if I would hold the same standard to candidates (party) I voted for and said yes. and gave not only one but 4 examples

To be clear, I today see no scenario where I would vote for Amash for anything. I am not a (R) and don't live in his state or district. If he ran for national office I see no path of agreement
    We disagree up and down the line, on everything.

Plus after saying he wouldn't cave, he caved. His balls belong to the Kochs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    You asked if I would hold the same standard to candidates (party) I voted for and said yes. and gave not only one but 4 examples

To be clear, I today see no scenario where I would vote for Amash for anything. I am not a (R) and don't live in his state or district. If he ran for national office I see no path of agreement
    We disagree up and down the line, on everything.

Plus after saying he wouldn't cave, he caved. His balls belong to the Kochs
    You have voted for HRC when she has made dreadful votes. Just be consistent

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The back story on those legendary Christie pics:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ht_him_su.html

What a colossal moron. I mean, I support the reasons behind the shutdowns in New Jersey and Maine, but atleast LePage had the common sense to exempt state parks/beaches for the holiday. Christie botched the opportunity to win some good will back by following suit, instead adding significant insult to injury by cluelessly parading his family out on a public beach closed to the public ... by his doing. The pictures portray him in breathtakingly elitist form (among other shapes).

If there was ever a sliver of hope for him to emerge as a legitimate public candidate of any sort in the future he just absolutely smothered it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I've never understood why a government has the right to tell people they can't go on to a beach.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I've never understood why a government has the right to tell people they can't go on to a beach.
    Better yet, why are Americans such sheeple when it comes to issues like this? It's a publicly funded beach, there isn't any sort of imminent danger (like a shark infestation or bacteria growth). No reasonable explanation for it needing to be shuttered on a holiday weekend. Yet, it is - and everybody collectively broods but ultimately won't do **** about it. So it'll happen again under circumstances equally as trivial.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-03-2017 at 12:17 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-03-2017)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Better yet, why are Americans such sheeple when it comes to issues like this? It's a publicly funded beach, there isn't any sort of imminent danger (like a shark infestation or bacteria growth). No reasonable explanation for it needing to be shuttered on a holiday weekend. Yet, it is - and everybody collectively broods but ultimately won't do **** about it. So it'll happen again under circumstances equally as trivial.
    We live in a litigious world. If the state can't afford to pay for lifeguards what do you think will happen if someone drowns on that public beach?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    We live in a litigious world. If the state can't afford to pay for lifeguards what do you think will happen if someone drowns on that public beach?
    Whatever state that can't afford to pay 3 teenagers minimum wage to lifeguard a mile of beachfront (for a holiday weekend, no less) should be booted from the Union. You are right, though ... we live in a litigious country ... and that's why comprehensive tort reform from the top down is long overdue.

When it's easier to close an entire state park than rely on posted signage warning against the dangers of swimming then you've got to admit there's a kind of sad problem afoot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You have voted for HRC when she has made dreadful votes. Just be consistent
    The choice was Trump.
    Who was it that said"consistancy is the hobgoblin of small minds '

Consistancy is boring

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Whatever state that can't afford to pay 3 teenagers minimum wage to lifeguard a mile of beachfront (for a holiday weekend, no less) should be booted from the Union. You are right, though ... we live in a litigious country ... and that's why comprehensive tort reform from the top down is long overdue.

When it's easier to close an entire state park than rely on posted signage warning against the dangers of swimming then you've got to admit there's a kind of sad problem afoot.
    I agree with you. If everyone just went to the beach tomorrow. They'd have to open it.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    there is no way to close a beach. it's going to be a beach every single day till the sun explodes in a few billion years
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts