Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Liberal Media Bubble

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't know how left-of-center the mainstream media is. Again, I am old enough to remember when the mainstream media was consensus-driven and was, if not conservative, certainly not that liberal. Watergate and the Vietnam War along with the disdain for Nixon changed a lot of that and I'll readily admit that the media has leaned progressive since then, but it has also been scandal-driven in search of headlines regardless of party. But the news pages at most major newspapers aren't all that slanted although I can detect some bias.

As for Trump, he is wildly unorthodox and that has put the media in a box because if they report his actions as not following traditional patterns, they are then labelled as being anti-Trump when all they are doing is reporting his actions. It's like they can't say "that's odd" without it being taken as an insult by the President while at the same time the President is saying he is going to think outside the box (which he really isn't doing).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-17-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't know how left-of-center the mainstream media is. Again, I am old enough to remember when the mainstream media was consensus-driven and was, if not conservative, certainly not that liberal. Watergate and the Vietnam War along with the disdain for Nixon changed a lot of that and I'll readily admit that the media has leaned progressive since then, but it has also been scandal-driven in search of headlines regardless of party. But the news pages at most major newspapers aren't all that slanted although I can detect some bias.

As for Trump, he is wildly unorthodox and that has put the media in a box because if they report his actions as not following traditional patterns, they are then labelled as being anti-Trump when all they are doing is reporting his actions. It's like they can't say "that's odd" without it being taken as an insult by the President while at the same time the President is saying he is going to think outside the box (which he really isn't doing).
    Plus, while some people rightly point out when the MSM leans towards or away from a particular individual, party, or event, there are tons of others who are just waiting for any/every time a negative story or remark comes out, true or not with the cry of "They're Against Us". Talk radio is really bad about that, and I was flipping channels the other day and Greg Guttfeld (not sure about the spelling) was talking about how the MSM or just "the media" "checked their spines at the door" during Obama's presidency and wouldn't call him on anything. Now there is some truth to that in certain cases, lots of truth to it in other cases, but do you think any of his viewers or anyone else I suppose stand up and say, "hey wait a minute, what about W's 8 years" or "but you're a Trump supporter, right? Even though he hasn't been president for very long, surely there are at least a couple of things you could have called him on, so did you?"