User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Rico's tremendous musical taste rocking your face

  1. #41
    **NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 396 Times in 318 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Axstv is doing some top ten lists of rock music with musical artists/insiders given their insight. Worth a check

    They’ve done: best hard rock intro, best song with a ladies name in it, and last Sunday was 80’s ballads. I was 100% sure ‘every rose has its thorn’ would be voted best ballad but it came in second.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

    Ozzie's Chainz (08-18-2018)

  3. #42
    **NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 396 Times in 318 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    For a concept show one day, I want to feature the best songs written or released since 2000. The criteria is that, genre doesn't matter, but it has to be a song that has a memorable melody, allows you to hum or sing along, is a song that would be appealing 50 or 100 years from now and hopefully crosses over beyond its original scope.

    My first, tentative list in NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

    The Rising (2002) -- Bruce Springsteen
    You and I (2111) -- Lady Gaga
    You Raise Me Up (2002) -- Secret Garden
    Beautiful Day (2000) -- U2
    Happy (2013) -- Farrell Williams
    Crazy (2005) -- Gnarls Barkley
    Never Wanted Nothing More (2007) -- Kenny Chesney
    Colder Weather (2010) -- Zac Brown Band
    Rehab (2006) -- Amy Winehouse
    I Hope You Dance (2000, barely) -- Lee Ann Womack
    Seven Nation Army (2003) -- White Stripes
    Blue Ain't Your Color (2016) -- Keith Urban
    HeyYa (2003) -- Outkast
    Drink A Beer (2013) -- Luke Bryan/Chris Stapleton
    Stay (2007) -- Sugarland
    **I Should Have Known It (2010) -- Tom Petty

    ** Guilty Pleasure

    What have I missed? What should be deleted without delay? Be open minded; if you have a reaction, find it and listen to it one more time.


    People are Crazy was a good country song.

  4. #43
    Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    DANGERZONE
    Posts
    16,870
    Thanks
    1,054
    Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,950 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    For a concept show one day, I want to feature the best songs written or released since 2000. The criteria is that, genre doesn't matter, but it has to be a song that has a memorable melody, allows you to hum or sing along, is a song that would be appealing 50 or 100 years from now and hopefully crosses over beyond its original scope.

    My first, tentative list in NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

    The Rising (2002) -- Bruce Springsteen
    You and I (2111) -- Lady Gaga
    You Raise Me Up (2002) -- Secret Garden
    Beautiful Day (2000) -- U2
    Happy (2013) -- Farrell Williams
    Crazy (2005) -- Gnarls Barkley
    Never Wanted Nothing More (2007) -- Kenny Chesney
    Colder Weather (2010) -- Zac Brown Band
    Rehab (2006) -- Amy Winehouse
    I Hope You Dance (2000, barely) -- Lee Ann Womack
    Seven Nation Army (2003) -- White Stripes
    Blue Ain't Your Color (2016) -- Keith Urban
    HeyYa (2003) -- Outkast
    Drink A Beer (2013) -- Luke Bryan/Chris Stapleton
    Stay (2007) -- Sugarland
    **I Should Have Known It (2010) -- Tom Petty

    ** Guilty Pleasure

    What have I missed? What should be deleted without delay? Be open minded; if you have a reaction, find it and listen to it one more time.
    Well if you're going on songs that will still be relevant a long time from now there's a few that I think we'll see remain popular much later than most people want. And I'll limit to one per artist.

    1. Crazy in Love - Beyonce. Song came out 15 years ago and it still gets playtime.
    2. Lose Yourself - Eminem - While Stan is a far superior song, Lose Yourself is gonna be featured in almost any lockeroom type of scenario for a long time. It's kind of the Rocky Theme of the aughts.
    3. Get Ur Freak On - Missy Elliot - This I think is the type of song that people will appreciate for years and years. It's got like a princce level of weirdness to it that just makes it so awesome.
    4. Last Nite - THe Strokes - The closest thing to Iggy Pop type of stuff we have. In 20 years kids will "discover" the Strokes and they'll have even more cultural relevance
    5. Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson - Don't think this needs a long explanation, you're probably already screaming the refrain in your head.
    6. Umbrella - Rihanna - One of the best popsongs made recently, got an interesting groove to it and everything.
    7. Mr. Brightside - The Killers- The Killers are Bon Jovi of the aughts. Make incredibly catchy pop/rock songs.
    8. American Idiot - Green Day - As long as counter culture is popular this will be too.
    9. Fallin - Alicia Keys - While you can pick others from her catalogue, I think this has the most staying power long term.
    10. No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age - Someday people will appreciate Songs for the Deaf as much as I do, I feel like it will happen. QOTSA with Dave Grohl on drums, sign me up every time.
    11. Rolling in the Deep - Adele - The pounding piano syncing with the drums and her soaring vocals make this a song that just sticks with you.
    12. Teenage Dream - Katy Perry - Guessing that this will be the one of hers that lingers the longest. I'm not 100% sure
    13. Chandelier - Sia - Similar to Adele, the soaring vocals make this song easy to get lost in.
    14. Lonely Boy - Black Keys - It's a song that keeps getting play. I don't really get it but it does.
    15. Hold On - Alabama Shakes - Love this song, love it so much.
    16. Somebody that I used to know - Gotye - The "Don't You Want Me Baby" of this decade
    17. Some Nights - fun - Hate this song, but it's catchy and will stick around.
    18. Love you Like a Love Song - Selena Gomez - This is a perfect pop song, the way it's recorded, the way she sings it. It's perfect. It's every bit as amazing as say I'm a Believer in the realm of pure earworming.
    19. I Will Wait - Mumford and Sons - Now the catch is people may forget about this song becaus almost every Mumford and Sons song sounds the same. But this is an incredibly catchy pop/bluegrass dip.
    20. Uptown Funk - Bruno Mars - This is a song that took over every genre fan when it came out. It was cool in a way that people didn't know a song could be cool. It was retro but new.

    So that's where I'll stop for now. Songs that I think are the best since then but won't be hummed along because they're not overly catchy.

    1. Slither - Velvet Revolver
    2. I am Mine - Pearl Jam
    3. DOA - Foo Fighters
    4. Joker and the Thief - Wolfmother
    5. Black Gives Way to Blue - Alice in Chains (song is a virtual lock to bring me to tears)
    6. Like a Stone - Audioslave - Debated on putting this up on the other list, but I feel like Audioslave will fall by the wayside of popular conscious.
    7. 3005 - Childish Gambino - While likely a footnote in hiphop history, Donald Glover made an amazing Album or two.
    8. Christmastime (Don't let the bell's end) - The Darkness - Chrismas Legend here.

    I'm probably forgetting a dozen or so, my brain is starting to slip.
    AJ does all the other things just as well if not better than Mac - zbhargrove

    I don't think Nolan Ryan should be a poster child for mechanics - SAV

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

    rico43 (06-24-2018)

  6. #44
    Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,492
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 4,811 Times in 2,033 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got share this. A Tampa-based metal band with a taste for acoustic versions, Savatage suffered from a bad name and a glut of bad bands. Their gifted lead guitarist was killed in a crash; the pieces of the band left somehow evolved into Trans-Siberian Orchestra. But this is such a damn wonderful song. Please take a minute.


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

    AerchAngel (07-08-2018)

  8. #45
    Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Eau Claire, WI
    Posts
    6,742
    Thanks
    2,715
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 799 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Got share this. A Tampa-based metal band with a taste for acoustic versions, Savatage suffered from a bad name and a glut of bad bands. Their gifted lead guitarist was killed in a crash; the pieces of the band left somehow evolved into Trans-Siberian Orchestra. But this is such a damn wonderful song. Please take a minute.

    Music like this is great. A mix of simple singing with the piano and then the hard hitting base guitar that emphasize the words, then throw in the drums. This is really good.

  9. #46
    Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,492
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 4,811 Times in 2,033 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was an extraordinary moment that got my interest in Eric Church going. Lzzy Hale has never looked better. Still sounds as good, but the girl knows how to glam up for a big TV audience. This was a year that the best rock and roll song was released by a country artist.


  10. #47
    On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List Ozzie's Chainz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Posts
    691
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 67 Times in 45 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Axstv is doing some top ten lists of rock music with musical artists/insiders given their insight. Worth a check

    They’ve done: best hard rock intro, best song with a ladies name in it, and last Sunday was 80’s ballads. I was 100% sure ‘every rose has its thorn’ would be voted best ballad but it came in second.
    I love the channel, I hate I missed the 80's ballads. I'm in my thirties but my brother is ten years older than me so I grew up listening to 80's music.

  11. #48
    Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,492
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 4,811 Times in 2,033 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tom Petty Treasure unearthed

    American Treasure compilation has let loose this outtake from Southern Accents. Tench remembers that Petty felt it was TOO country. It's great, is what it is:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •