Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs Top 100 Prospects

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Bpa isn't the only consideration in a slotting system. It's easy to fill LF with a power guy based on what we have seen this past offseason. Plus I don't think you can definitively say that Lewis is better. It's possible that he is but all of this right now is opinion.
    It's easy if all they have is power. I thought you were against these types of players.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Bpa isn't the only consideration in a slotting system. It's easy to fill LF with a power guy based on what we have seen this past offseason. Plus I don't think you can definitively say that Lewis is better. It's possible that he is but all of this right now is opinion.
    I promise you it's OK to admit the FO may have made a mistake.

Would you honestly not trade anderson for Lewis right now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's easy if all they have is power. I thought you were against these types of players.
    Depends on the mix of players. I prefer contact low walk players but if you have a team littered with those players it makes sense to have a Matt Kemp type.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I understand what people are saying in regards to Ian.... he doesn't have a fastball like Pint or a knee-buckling curve... .but his overall toolset is pretty good for a HS arm. I'm excited to see what we have in him.

He was a cost-savings move, would he have been the #3 pick if there was no slotting system? I doubt it, but that also doesn't mean he won't go on to be a really good pitcher for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

How am I supposed to answer that question? I have no clue which player is better. All I'm dating is you can't say they made a mistake. I'm not saying definitively that they made the right decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

Likely not seeing Lewis will miss half the year recovering from surgery.

I see your point here, as its been made a lot.

I think people discount a bit of how well regarded Anderson was late in the draft process. He was a top 10-12 pick for most scouts with late helium.
    Ivermectin Man

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

They MAY have made a mistake, its also OK to say Anderson might have been the right pick.

If we could ignore the injury for a second, I would trade Anderson for Lewis, but had we drafted Lewis (despite what Enscheff says) there's no guarantee he'd sign for way below slot and we might not be able to draft Wentz/Muller/Cumberland/Wilson.... so would I trade potentially Anderson/Muller/Wilson for Lewis? It gets harder to make those decisions.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Time will have to tell on this one. He certainly has a nice stint in short season ball at 21 before tearing his ACL, but like Anderson he's pretty far away from breaking into the big leagues.

If he's Justin Upton then Braves may regret their pick. If he's just a .260 15 hr corner outfielder that's something of value, but maybe not a big regret.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think if Lewis is all pre-draft hype then the most likely course of events is that both propsects' stock take dives. Anderson is riding high on his draft stock as well. He's being treated like the 3rd overall pick even though he was selected for money reasons and really is more of a mid-first rounder type of arm and I'm not even that high on him. I think there's a good chance that Anderson is out of the top 100 by this point next year.
    This is not true. His value was on the upswing at the time of the draft, so his ranking on draft boards was still lagging behind.

He also performed very well in limited action last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I think the reason I'm not high on Anderson is that when I look at a prospect (especially a pitching prospect), I like to see something that's really exceptional that they can hang their hat on. Something they can ride to the majors on. Fried, Allard, and Touki have curveballs that are really, really special and that they can pair with good fastballs. Newcomb has effortless velocity from the left side that he can keep late into the game. Soroka has control beyond his years. Gohara can flirt with triple digits.

With Anderson, you see the word "good" a lot. He has a good fastball that has good movement but he lacks elite velocity and struggles to maintain velocity late into games. His curve and changeup both project as above average but neither one is a trademark pitch. He's also supposed to have good control. But he doesn't have anything that's really great. If he can develop his curve or changeup into a devastating pitch or if he can add enough velocity to his fastball so that it sits 94-97 throughout the game then he can really take it to the next level.

Right now, he reminds me of Matt Wisler. A collection of good pitches to pair with good control which is enough to rack up some nice numbers at lower levels but which doesn't play in the majors without something to hang your hat on. In fact, I think Wisler's a pretty good comp.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Why won't we have a long term need? Ender, Acuna, and ??

BPA in baseball drafts anyway. What we don't have in the system is a legit big power bat. Lewis is that.

Missed opportunity
    Power bats who don't make enough contact aren't valuable. The Braves decided he had too much swing-and-miss and wouldn't be an impact bat down the road. They certainly could turn out to be wrong, but just because he's a power bat who is ranked ahead of Anderson less than a year after the draft doesn't make it a bad decision or a missed opportunity.

I said at the time I wanted Lewis, and I would still make that swap. But the FO wouldn't, and that's all we know at this point. We have no idea who is right yet.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think the reason I'm not high on Anderson is that when I look at a prospect (especially a pitching prospect), I like to see something that's really exceptional that they can hang their hat on. Something they can ride to the majors on. Fried, Allard, and Touki have curveballs that are really, really special and that they can pair with good fastballs. Newcomb has effortless velocity from the left side that he can keep late into the game. Soroka has control beyond his years. Gohara can flirt with triple digits.

With Anderson, you see the word "good" a lot. He has a good fastball that has good movement but he lacks elite velocity and struggles to maintain velocity late into games. His curve and changeup both project as above average but neither one is a trademark pitch. He's also supposed to have good control. But he doesn't have anything that's really great. If he can develop his curve or changeup into a devastating pitch or if he can add enough velocity to his fastball so that it sits 94-97 throughout the game then he can really take it to the next level.

Right now, he reminds me of Matt Wisler. A collection of good pitches to pair with good control which is enough to rack up some nice numbers at lower levels but which doesn't play in the majors without something to hang your hat on. In fact, I think Wisler's a pretty good comp.
    I think just about any scout would tell you Anderson has clearly better natural stuff than Wisler does.

The things that Anderson brings are good stuff (true, perhaps he doesn't have any elite pitch), already has 4 pitches, which is pretty rare for someone that age, and from what I've read, he has great command for his age. You like Soroka, and Anderson can have that kind of control but with an even better mix of pitches.

I think the fact that we signed him for under slot and then signed Wentz/Muller for over slot is clouding people's thoughts on Anderson. That does not mean that he wasn't the guy we really wanted at 3 or that he was taken higher than he should have been.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

I would have rather had Lewis than Anderson in the draft... not ashamed to say that, but I wouldn't trade him for Anderson now. The injury makes me nervous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think just about any scout would tell you Anderson has clearly better natural stuff than Wisler does.

The things that Anderson brings are good stuff (true, perhaps he doesn't have any elite pitch), already has 4 pitches, which is pretty rare for someone that age, and from what I've read, he has great command for his age. You like Soroka, and Anderson can have that kind of control but with an even better mix of pitches.

I think the fact that we signed him for under slot and then signed Wentz/Muller for over slot is clouding people's thoughts on Anderson. That does not mean that he wasn't the guy we really wanted at 3 or that he was taken higher than he should have been.
    I don't see Anderson having Soroka like control. While we're talking about small sample sizes, Soroka last year put up BB rates half of what Anderson did at the same level. Anderson would have to jump to Rome and put up the same walk rate there that he did in the GCL to be on Soroka's level.

I don't think there's a huge difference in the natural stuff between Wisler and Anderson. Anderson's might be a little better but not a meaningful amoun. It is true that Anderson's stuff might develop better than Wisler's did. Anderson could still develop that out pitch that will take him to the next level. But that's all projection. Right now I'm looking at Anderson and seeing a guy who is all around good but with nothing great. That's Matt Wisler.

Maybe Anderson develops something exceptional. Maybe he doesn't. But I think that will be what defines his career.

I'm not against the plan of taking Anderson to get Wentz and Muller. It might not have been my preferred route but the end result was at least defensible. But I think we're fooling ourselves if we think we draft Anderson at 3 without a discount. If he was going to demand full slot then I don't see any way he goes at 3.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It was mentioned, but I think people are overlooking perhaps the most surprising and optimistic thing about this - Pache being just outside the top 100 already.

Just for the record, for those who think our system is destined to start dropping soon or won't still be in competition for the best in baseball a year from now - there are 23 players on this list younger than 20. We have 5 of them, including the youngest player on the list. We also have 2 on the list who are 20 and two who just missed who are 18.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Pache is about to get damn exciting.... Cruz also I believe... can't wait to see him rebound in Danville after he just tore up the GCL

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I don't see Anderson having Soroka like control. While we're talking about small sample sizes, Soroka last year put up BB rates half of what Anderson did at the same level. Anderson would have to jump to Rome and put up the same walk rate there that he did in the GCL to be on Soroka's level.

I don't think there's a huge difference in the natural stuff between Wisler and Anderson. Anderson's might be a little better but not a meaningful amoun. It is true that Anderson's stuff might develop better than Wisler's did. Anderson could still develop that out pitch that will take him to the next level. But that's all projection. Right now I'm looking at Anderson and seeing a guy who is all around good but with nothing great. That's Matt Wisler.

Maybe Anderson develops something exceptional. Maybe he doesn't. But I think that will be what defines his career.

I'm not against the plan of taking Anderson to get Wentz and Muller. It might not have been my preferred route but the end result was at least defensible. But I think we're fooling ourselves if we think we draft Anderson at 3 without a discount. If he was going to demand full slot then I don't see any way he goes at 3.
    There's not a player left in the draft who would have taken full slot at 3, though, outside of perhaps Groome or Pint. If you had to pay every player the slot value of where they were taken, then yes, I think it's possible we take Anderson. We clearly just didn't like Lewis there, and neither did the 4 teams who drafted after us.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Funny thing about everyone being so down on Anderson. He's been ranked higher on EVERY list than Fried, and Fried's been one of the most impressive Pitchers in camp this spring.

Also FWIW, there were 7 players 18 years old or younger ranked ahead of him on this list, and one of them was Maitan. Perspective, please.

Just sayin'.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-13-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Funny thing about everyone being so down on Anderson. He's been ranked higher on EVERY list than Fried, and Fried's been one of the most impressive Pitchers in camp this spring.

Just sayin'.
    Fried also has a big injury concern and he's pitched vs much younger competition.... prospect fatigue... makes perfect sense and how prospect rankings are usually handled

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts

I wanted Lewis, but I'm happy with Anderson. Would I rather have Lewis? Probably, but it has nothing to do with organizational need. It's mostly due to the higher risk of busting.