Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braves: OF of both extremes?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Or that he isn't immediately concerned with defense as an immediate priority anyway. They get more credit for trying to contend with showy offense than they would with defensive metric moves that also would not actually make them a contender.

I agree with the decision they made to trade Simmons. I don't know if they got the best package back, but if Newcomb and/or Blair actually do hit, it will be fine I suppose.
    Blair is from one of the DBacks trades. I think they sold low on Simmons. And part of that belief is I feel they underestimated his actual value on defense. This is my opinion.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-14-2017), jpx7 (03-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Honestly, I would just as soon give the job to Micah Johnson. The blessing of being a bad team is that you can afford to take chances with players with loud tools and hope that you strike gold with one of them.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Blair is from one of the DBacks trades. I think they sold low on Simmons. And part of that belief is I feel they underestimated his actual value on defense. This is my opinion.
    defensive metrics underestimated Simmons value.. nothing on the planet could quantify his impact. Newk could become a lock down ace and I am not sure I would still be happy with that trade. Simmons is a once in a generational type player... you don't trade that!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Oh no. How we will win the World Series ?
    Point taken. The Braves probably aren't in a position to be worrying about a quality 4th OFer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think the real issue is that Coppy doesn't believe in the publicly available defensive stats.
    Well that is a pretty big issue. This new statcast data definitively shows which OFers are good/bad at converting fly balls into outs. If Genius isn't using that information to build his roster the Braves are at a sever disadvantage.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don't usually have my ears to the ground on the defensive replacement OF market, so feel free to bump this thread at the end of spring training cuts and I'll take my pick of the myriad of fast players that are literally available every single year.
    Yeah...I was talking about a 4th OFer that could produce in a semi-platoon role over 300+ PAs, not a guy who wasn't good enough to be the 25th man on another team's bench.

I guess you could call your idea a valid argument though. So at least there's improvement on that front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    One of Micah Johnson/Jace/Bonifactio/D'Arnaud or a player not yet on the team is likely to serve as a late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner for Kemp.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Yes, dammit. Chris Ellis. I even looked it up, but I guess that tells you what I subconsciously must think of Blair's chances.

Maybe they should have gotten a better return out of Simmons. I just don't fault trading him in their particular situation.

I tend to think defense value is overrated by the measurements and I have trouble taking the ones that fluctuate drastically year to year very seriously. But defense is not unimportant by any stretch. Simmons was really fun to watch and he'd be a great player to add to a contending team full of offense, but I'm not sure what his purpose was going to be in Atlanta. Hopefully, they will end up getting something out of him.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Yes, dammit. Chris Ellis. I even looked it up, but I guess that tells you what I subconsciously must think of Blair's chances.

Maybe they should have gotten a better return out of Simmons. I just don't fault trading him in their particular situation.

I tend to think defense value is overrated by the measurements and I have trouble taking the ones that fluctuate drastically year to year very seriously. But defense is not unimportant by any stretch. Simmons was really fun to watch and he'd be a great player to add to a contending team full of offense, but I'm not sure what his purpose was going to be in Atlanta. Hopefully, they will end up getting something out of him.
    Runs saved can fluctuate in a given year due to many reasons just like offensive runs. A couple if the chances and the overall small sample size a defender has in a given year compared to being on offense. It's usually a third of a full offensive season.

And Simmons would of been here to help win games.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Runs saved can fluctuate in a given year due to many reasons just like offensive runs. A couple if the chances and the overall small sample size a defender has in a given year compared to being on offense. It's usually a third of a full offensive season.

And Simmons would of been here to help win games.
    Never understood how people think defensive contributions should be more consistent on a year to year basis than offensive contributions.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yeah...I was talking about a 4th OFer that could produce in a semi-platoon role over 300+ PAs, not a guy who wasn't good enough to be the 25th man on another team's bench.

I guess you could call your idea a valid argument though. So at least there's improvement on that front.
    This isn't what you said...

So knowing this, where are the defensive replacements for Kemp and Markakis?
    Platoon outfielders =/= late inning defensive replacement OF

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Never understood how people think defensive contributions should be more consistent on a year to year basis than offensive contributions.
    Well there's certainly less randomness in a defensive play than an offensive play, i.e., a defensive player doesn't have to worry about the offensive player knocking the ball out of his glove the same way an offensive player has to worry about (1) who is pitching and (2) if the defender catches his line drives.

I'm also not stating that defense can't vary year to year, but logically I would presume it's much more consistent than offense.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Well there's certainly less randomness in a defensive play than an offensive play, i.e., a defensive player doesn't have to worry about the offensive player knocking the ball out of his glove the same way an offensive player has to worry about (1) who is pitching and (2) if the defender catches his line drives.

I'm also not stating that defense can't vary year to year, but logically I would presume it's much more consistent than offense.
    Think of how small a sample size is for hitters a 1/3 of the season. That's a whole year for a defender. Chances a player has can vary from year to year just as the level of play at that position can vary from year to year. Also actual defensive ability comes and goes a lot quicker than offensive ability in most cases.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Think of how small a sample size is for hitters a 1/3 of the season. That's a whole year for a defender. Chances a player has can vary from year to year just as the level of play at that position can vary from year to year. Also actual defensive ability comes and goes a lot quicker than offensive ability in most cases.
    And a lot of defensive plays are routine. So the number of defensive opportunities that separate a good defender from a bad one are quite small.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    And a lot of defensive plays are routine. So the number of defensive opportunities that separate a good defender from a bad one are quite small.
    Similar to how just 1 hit a week can separate you from being an average or great hitter. The margins are really small when you look at it that way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    This isn't what you said...

Platoon outfielders =/= late inning defensive replacement OF
    Yes, you are right. This one particular post I only mentioned defensive replacement.

I suppose the other 100 posts I made over the last few months claiming the Braves need a competent RHed 4th OFer don't count.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I agree in the aggregate, but if you distill it down to a single play, defense is less random then offense.

Circling back to your original point - I agree with your overall premise, but I think it's fine to reliability of defensive metrics, while acknowledging their value. I refer defensive metrics all the time and accept them at face value for the most part, but there's certainly limited cases where I don't think they match reality.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Yes, you are right. This one particular post I only mentioned defensive replacement.

I suppose the other 100 posts I made over the last few months claiming the Braves need a competent RHed 4th OFer don't count.
    I'm sorry I answered a question that you posed in the opening post. Next time I'll make sure I research your 3,815 posts before I respond.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (03-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm sorry I answered a question that you posed in the opening post. Next time I'll make sure I research your 3,815 posts before I respond.
    Oddly enough, you were the only person that didn't get it. Hmm...maybe not that odd...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I agree in the aggregate, but if you distill it down to a single play, defense is less random then offense.

Circling back to your original point - I agree with your overall premise, but I think it's fine to reliability of defensive metrics, while acknowledging their value. I refer defensive metrics all the time and accept them at face value for the most part, but there's certainly limited cases where I don't think they match reality.
    I'm sure that's the case in some situations. Hopefully Statcast starts to eliminate that noise.