Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colon...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts

Colon...

He's been getting his 43 years old titts ripped today and this spring. We really don't intend to go into the season with this fat @$$ big headed goblin do we? Coppy was just fckn with the fan base this offseason but the joke is kind of running to long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    I can't believe we spent 12M on this guy and came up short trying to get a catcher.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-18-2017), bravesnumberone (03-19-2017), Hawk (03-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,703 Posts
    Colon stinks.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-22-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I love spring training.

Colon will be fine-ish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (03-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,965 Posts
    I don't care how bad he does in spring. If it holds over then I care

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-18-2017), Garmel (03-18-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I can't believe we spent 12M on this guy and came up short trying to get a catcher.
    One word which will be overused this season in reference to both Dickey and Colon: Tutelage.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I cannot believe we gave up three recent top 30 prospects for an oft-injured Garcia who's only on a one year deal making another 12 million himself. Between Colon and him we spent 24.5 million plus three prospects that were all recently in our top 30. Why didn't we just sign another free agent and keep the prospects? If you have 24.5 million to spend get someone good and a better catcher to pair with Flowers and keep the prospects too. That would make more sense!

That said, I was all for signing Dickey and he was also cheaper by 4.5 million or so.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    maybe he's working on some things...like a new bra size

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I cannot believe we gave up three recent top 30 prospects for an oft-injured Garcia who's only on a one year deal making another 12 million himself. Between Colon and him we spent 24.5 million plus three prospects that were all recently in our top 30. Why didn't we just sign another free agent and keep the prospects? If you have 24.5 million to spend get someone good and a better catcher to pair with Flowers and keep the prospects too. That would make more sense!

That said, I was all for signing Dickey and he was also cheaper by 4.5 million or so.
    I was fine with Dickey too. We could have stopped there and made sure we got a catcher. Only after that was done would I have considered signing another starting pitcher. I would have been ok with Gant, Wisler, Collmenter and maybe Newcomb, Sims and Povse battling for the last two spots.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts
    If he's bad we'll have a Colon cleansing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (03-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    MLB.com: One of your notable offseason acquisitions was a 43-year-old starting pitcher. What most attracted you to Bartolo Colon?
    Coppolella: John Hart had a long history with him, signed him 25 years ago. John knows who this person is; I've seen it firsthand as he beat us with the Mets year after year. He's a great teammate, somebody you can count on for innings, and he has a chance -- he's 13 wins away from the D.R. record for starting pitchers, 16 away from the Latin record for starting pitchers. Say that he can hang in there for two or three more years, he has a shot at the Hall of Fame. This is a special guy.
    Guys just love having him on the team. There's a lot of good things. He will help our young guys in two ways. One, he will help teach them about the game. If I'm a young Braves pitcher and I see this guy at 43 years old, what I'm saying to myself is, "How do I do what he's doing? Why is he still in the game at 43? He must be doing a lot of things right, let me find out what."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    MLB.com: One of your notable offseason acquisitions was a 43-year-old starting pitcher. What most attracted you to Bartolo Colon?
    Coppolella: John Hart had a long history with him, signed him 25 years ago. John knows who this person is; I've seen it firsthand as he beat us with the Mets year after year. He's a great teammate, somebody you can count on for innings, and he has a chance -- he's 13 wins away from the D.R. record for starting pitchers, 16 away from the Latin record for starting pitchers. Say that he can hang in there for two or three more years, he has a shot at the Hall of Fame. This is a special guy.
    Guys just love having him on the team. There's a lot of good things. He will help our young guys in two ways. One, he will help teach them about the game. If I'm a young Braves pitcher and I see this guy at 43 years old, what I'm saying to myself is, "How do I do what he's doing? Why is he still in the game at 43? He must be doing a lot of things right, let me find out what."
    Maybe Hart can bring back Simmons after he loses his arm and range and we can say well Hart had him 25 years ago when he started in Atlanta. JK. :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Maybe Hart can bring back Simmons after he loses his arm and range and we can say well Hart had him 25 years ago when he started in Atlanta. JK. :)
    They're doing it with Boyer. Good pitcher. Even better person. Local kid. Great guy in the locker room.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-18-2017), JohnAdcox (03-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    They're doing it with Boyer. Good pitcher. Even better person. Local kid. Great guy in the locker room.
    Plus he is said to found more velocity too! He just cannot tell you where it's going when he brings it. :)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    My prediction:
    Colon:
    4"ish" ERA...He will have some great games and some not so great games. I am not "that" worried about the spring. When you are 43, it has to be a very boring process. Some team will pick him up at the deadline if we cover part of his contract. For a decent prospect.

Dickey:
    I feel about the same...but a tad less confident until I see him pitch in a real game....4.20 ERA

I think both of these guys will win at least ten games a piece, because they know how to pitch.

Garcia:
    Contract year = career year. "IF" he can stay heathy , he will have a great season and we could end up netting some really nice prospects. They always magically have unreal Years when their contracts are up. Wait and see...THIS could be the best off-season get of the year.

Folty:
    Might be our ace by year's end, and will take another step forward.

Julio:
    Another solid year. He will be one of the better pitchers in baseball once again.

Blair and Wisler:
    By the trade deadline I expect at least one of these guys to put it together and be in the rotation.

Newcomb and Sims:
    Should both progress and I also expect one of these two will be in the rotation after the trade deadline.

Weigel:
    Regresses a tad bit makes adjustments and pitches well enough at the end of the year to get strong consideration for the 2018 rotation.

Fried:
    Biggest riser. Continues to dominate and ends the year in AAA and will be considered a lock for the 2018 rotation.

Don't fret too much about the old guys. They'll be gone by the trade deadline (or sooner if one or more of the young guys step up). They are just place holders. The reason they paid so much for these guys on one year deals is so they didnt have to give multiple years to anyone else. We should have plenty of pitching options next year or before.

Would you have really liked them to lock up 1-2 average pitchers (in this crappy market), to long term deals when we have all these young guys right on the edge??

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    My prediction:
    Colon:
    4"ish" ERA...He will have some great games and some not so great games. I am not "that" worried about the spring. When you are 43, it has to be a very boring process. Some team will pick him up at the deadline if we cover part of his contract. For a decent prospect.

Dickey:
    I feel about the same...but a tad less confident until I see him pitch in a real game....4.20 ERA

I think both of these guys will win at least ten games a piece, because they know how to pitch.

Garcia:
    Contract year = career year. "IF" he can stay heathy , he will have a great season and we could end up netting some really nice prospects. They always magically have unreal Years when their contracts are up. Wait and see...THIS could be the best off-season get of the year.

Folty:
    Might be our ace by year's end, and will take another step forward.

Julio:
    Another solid year. He will be one of the better pitchers in baseball once again.

Blair and Wisler:
    By the trade deadline I expect at least one of these guys to put it together and be in the rotation.

Newcomb and Sims:
    Should both progress and I also expect one of these two will be in the rotation after the trade deadline.

Weigel:
    Regresses a tad bit makes adjustments and pitches well enough at the end of the year to get strong consideration for the 2018 rotation.

Fried:
    Biggest riser. Continues to dominate and ends the year in AAA and will be considered a lock for the 2018 rotation.

Don't fret too much about the old guys. They'll be gone by the trade deadline (or sooner if one or more of the young guys step up). They are just place holders. The reason they paid so much for these guys on one year deals is so they didnt have to give multiple years to anyone else. We should have plenty of pitching options next year or before.

Would you have really liked them to lock up 1-2 average pitchers (in this crappy market), to long term deals when we have all these young guys right on the edge??
    I admire your optimism

27. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-19-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    It's some optimism sure, but our young pitchers aren't ready...they will be soon. If they old guys don't light the woods on fire, they WILL eat innings. They have proven they can do that. If they bomb...they bomb. One year deal and we aren't going to the World Series.

The only guy I feel strongly about having the good year is Jamie (if he can stay healthy). Would sting if we lost the prospects for nothing, but again...not a huge deal.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    I admire your optimism
    Specifically about Folty over Teheran. JT continues to get slighted. If Folty is the ace we got bigger issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    He's one of the guys I'm looking forward to watching this season. Just a fun baseball player to watch. Obviously he could be completely awful this season, but I'm hoping he's got one more year in him.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I admire your optimism
    About right on Colon based on recent results, perhaps even a little pessimistic.

Definitely higher on Dickey and Garcia than me though.