Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Acuna

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Let's sat for argument sake kris Bryant doesn't resign with the cubs and cites the reason being they messed with his service time. Was it the right decision then to hold him back when he was clearly ready?

Of course I'm sure the cubs will throw whatever it takes to keep him but just curious on your thoughts.
    This is such a silly point to try to make. Bryant is a Boras client. He will be going to the highest bidder after his arb seasons. If the Cubs had not messed with his service clock, Bryant would be going to the highest bidder a year earlier. They traded ~50 PAs of Bryant's production in 2015 for 600+ PAs of peak Bryant in 2021.

The Cubs undoubtedly, 100% assuredly, made the right moves with Bryant. The Cubs are currently considered the gold standard franchise for a reason.

The Braves made Heyward the opening day RF in 2010 at the age of 20. That move was defensible because the Braves likely needed those extra 50 PAs from Heyward to make the playoffs that year, and he had just posted incredible numbers across several minor league levels. However, the Braves paid a HUGE future price for those extra 50 PAs. His impending FA set the rebuild in motion. The Braves could have had control over his age 25 and 26 season had they delayed his clock like the Cubs did with Bryant. Heyward could have posted his 6.5 WAR 2015 in Atlanta and THEN been traded with 1 year of control left, or he could have brought back even MORE in a trade before the 2015 season as a guy with 2 prime years of control remaining.

Swanson, on the other hand, was not doing all that well in the minors. The Braves were certainly not in contention and didn't need to squeeze every last win out of the roster. So they called Swanson up and started his clock...for no reason. Swanson will either not be in Atlanta for his age 29 season, or he will cost significantly more in that season than he otherwise would have...all to win a few more games in a 68 win season and to have him on the roster for the first 2 weeks of this season.

Hard to see the genius in this move made by The Genius.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 03-29-2017 at 04:04 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    They have traded two very valuable assets and gotten expectedly good returns on them, after failing to produce a winner around said assets for years. Congrats to them. Rick Hahn is a true genius.
    Same straw man. Learn to debate, please.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Let's sat for argument sake kris Bryant doesn't resign with the cubs and cites the reason being they messed with his service time. Was it the right decision then to hold him back when he was clearly ready?

Of course I'm sure the cubs will throw whatever it takes to keep him but just curious on your thoughts.
    What is the realistic possibility of this? Has any player ever cited they aren't resigning with their team because they played the service time game? To me this is bringing up unrealistic counter arguments. If the player feels they are getting fair compensation and want long-term security they will resign. If they want to test out the waters and get max value then they won't. It's really as simple as that.

The fact is that in the current landscape of the game that mid-market teams (like the Braves) are doing themselves a disservice by not playing this game.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-29-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    So I've seen a few diacritical variations of his name, but it's Roņald Acuna, right?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Same straw man. Learn to debate, please.
    Nice to see you agree. Now follow your own advice.
    Last edited by smootness; 03-29-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I'm OK with bringing a player like Swanson/Acuna up if they are blistering the minors and have advanced at least to AA; even if the big club isn't in contention. Players do develop and grow at the MLB level and if they're ready for that - I think its a good thing to get their development started.

That being said, I didn't think Swanson was putting up the type of performance at AA that really warranted his jump to the majors, not a move I really liked and I think it was made for reasons that weren't solely baseball related - which is unfortunate.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    So I've seen a few diacritical variations of his name, but it's Roņald Acuna, right?
    I'm afraid it's a lacuna.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-30-2017), jpx7 (03-30-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I'm OK with bringing a player like Swanson/Acuna up if they are blistering the minors and have advanced at least to AA; even if the big club isn't in contention. Players do develop and grow at the MLB level and if they're ready for that - I think its a good thing to get their development started.

That being said, I didn't think Swanson was putting up the type of performance at AA that really warranted his jump to the majors, not a move I really liked and I think it was made for reasons that weren't solely baseball related - which is unfortunate.
    this is being made much more of a big deal than really needed. Some have to push their internet agenda.. but if you really think about it, the FO said, 'ok SS of the future.. show us what you got'

They are going to sign him to a contract within 2 years unless he completely tanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    this is being made much more of a big deal than really needed. Some have to push their internet agenda.. but if you really think about it, the FO said, 'ok SS of the future.. show us what you got'

They are going to sign him to a contract within 2 years unless he completely tanks.
    Some still don't realize we are dealing with human beings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

I don't think its an enormous deal and I'm also not worried about re-signing Swanson.

That being said, I still didn't like the point when they brought him up, I thought he should have spent more time at AA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Some still don't realize we are dealing with human beings.
    Of course we are --- but we are also dealing with the realities of being a mid-market baseball team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Of course we are --- but we are also dealing with the realities of being a mid-market baseball team.
    Contract extensions for young players are not that expensive and often the best investments. As long as the dedication to value young high upside talent continues then there will be a steady stream of talent. Just like throughout the 9th and early 2000s.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I don't think its an enormous deal and I'm also not worried about re-signing Swanson.

That being said, I still didn't like the point when they brought him up, I thought he should have spent more time at AA.

right, but we just dumped E-bar and the FO was faced with a decision to either give the job to the guy they see as their franchise SS.. or a scrub for 2 months. knowing they are going to try to sign Swanson, they went with bringing him up to see how he handles it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    right, but we just dumped E-bar and the FO was faced with a decision to either give the job to the guy they see as their franchise SS.. or a scrub for 2 months. knowing they are going to try to sign Swanson, they went with bringing him up to see how he handles it.
    Yeah and that genius move cost us senzel

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yeah and that genius move cost us senzel
    Probably going to call up Acuna and cost us Kyle Lewis next year as well..

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (03-30-2017), CJ9 (03-30-2017), Hawk (03-30-2017), jpx7 (03-30-2017), Preacher (03-30-2017), smootness (03-30-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,293 Posts
    Probably going to call up Acuna and cost us Kyle Lewis next year as well..
    ^+1

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Some people on here were putting the tilde on the N in Acuna. Not sure which is correct, but if my primary school Spanish grammar serves me right, it's that usage.
    Last edited by Hawk; 03-30-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Some people on here were putting the tilde on the N in Acuna. Not sure which is correct, but if my primary school Spanish grammar serves me right, it's that usage.
    It's definitely "Acuņa", despite the overwhelming lack of tilde-usage I've seen in writing about the player. I was just being a willful idiot, riffing on the tilde hypercorrection one sometimes hears/sees (habaņero for habanero being the most prominent) to produce the more-fun-sounding "Rahn-yald Ah-koon-ah".

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (03-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'm afraid it's a lacuna.

He's definitely going to fill those gaps in the roster and take this Braves team from la cuna to tierra prometida.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (03-30-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Contract extensions for young players are not that expensive and often the best investments. As long as the dedication to value young high upside talent continues then there will be a steady stream of talent. Just like throughout the 9th and early 2000s.
    Also you have to realize that Swanson is really only going to have 1 chance to cash in on a big deal if he proves to be the player we hope he is. He's going to be a FA after his age 28 season. He is less likely to sign away 2-3 years of FA like Teheran. A more likely scenario is either a bigger deal (which wouldn't be great for the Braves as you are then paying for non prime years) or either leaving via FA.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-30-2017)