Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Acuna

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I 99% agree with the "shouldn't have called up Dansby" crowd to delay his clock, but, man, some of you fellas treat baseball like its your corporate job. It's really okay not to worry all that much about that extra $15 million in salary that John Malone may or may not have to pay six years from now.
    When it prevents my favorite team from adding another piece to a competitive team? Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and worry about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Genius called him up, therefore, it was the correct move.
    Now the genius is putting allard at AA. I bet he starts maitan at Carolina. God, I hate the genius

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    The Genius called him up, therefore, it was the correct move.
    Is Coppy really held to a genius level standard by anyone on this board? Maybe I'm just bad at taking the temperature of a room, but I think the consensus is that most of his moves have been smart and the strategy mostly sound. I think everybody would acknowledge that he's made some real (bad, bad, bad) clunkers with a few of his deals.

At the end of the day - this is year three of a massive rebuild involving the coaching staff, players, scouting, front office, and stadium. The mere fact that we should be flirting with .500 is quite remarkable, regardless of your opinion of how we got to this point.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 03-31-2017 at 01:35 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-01-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    When it prevents my favorite team from adding another piece to a competitive team? Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and worry about that.
    When it might*** prevent. Dansby will be 30 by then and who knows if he'll be worth a second contract at that point.

Go ahead and worry about it all you want. I just don't get it, but that's more of a me problem than a you problem. I'm more of the short term gratification sort of person.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Is Coppy really held to a genius level standard by anyone on this board? Maybe I'm just bad at taking the temperature of a room, but I think the consensus is that most of his moves have been smart and the strategy mostly sound. I think everybody would acknowledge that he's made some real (bad, bad, bad) clunkers with a few of his deals.

At the end of the day - this is year three of a massive rebuild involving the coaching staff, players, scouting, front office, and stadium. The mere fact that we should be flirting with .500 is quite remarkable, regardless of your opinion of how we got to this point.
    Do I really have to do a search to pull up dozens of examples of folks talking about how smart he is and giving them an A grade for the offseason?

I think he is a solidly average GM who's reputation is inflated because Dave Stewart is an idiot. Any competent GM would have the Braves projected to win 75 games in year 3 of a rebuild where many valuable MLB assets were flipped for prospects at the beginning. He hasn't done a single thing I haven't seen done by several other GMs in the last 5 years. The only move I consider remotely brilliant is the acquisition of Touki, and he isn't exactly paying huge dividends.

An above average GM wouldn't have traded for Olivera and then compounded the mistake by trading for Kemp. Wouldn't have lowered the return for Kimbrel by attaching BJ to him. Wouldn't construct quite possibly the worst 4 man bench in the history of MLB in a season where he has horrid starters at 3B, RF, and LF. Wouldn't have started the clock of a franchise player during a meaningless season that cost the team control over that player's 29 season.

He is soundly average, maybe a little below.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Do I really have to do a search to pull up dozens of examples of folks talking about how smart he is and giving them an A grade for the offseason?

I think he is a solidly average GM who's reputation is inflated because Dave Stewart is an idiot. Any competent GM would have the Braves projected to win 75 games in year 3 of a rebuild where many valuable MLB assets were flipped for prospects at the beginning. He hasn't done a single thing I haven't seen done by several other GMs in the last 5 years. The only move I consider remotely brilliant is the acquisition of Touki, and he isn't exactly paying huge dividends.

An above average GM wouldn't have traded for Olivera and then compounded the mistake by trading for Kemp. Wouldn't have lowered the return for Kimbrel by attaching BJ to him. Wouldn't construct quite possibly the worst 4 man bench in the history of MLB in a season where he has horrid starters at 3B, RF, and LF. Wouldn't have started the clock of a franchise player during a meaningless season that cost the team control over that player's 29 season.

He is soundly average, maybe a little below.
    No need to search - I don't care that much.

I wholeheartedly agree that the gang of John's have made some really strange (and damaging) decisions. The Olivera trade was horrendous. The Kemp trade was a weird double down that's been okay so far, but probably shouldn't have been made. I didn't love the Ian Anderson draft pick. I wish we built our farm on position players over pitching prospects. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Still - all that matters are the results. We're a team on the rise with the best (or one of the best) farm systems in baseball. The Heyward, Miller, and Upton trades appear to be real home runs. Of all the great young players we had on our team from the 2012-2014 era, it looks like he kept the right ones (Freeman and Teheran) and sold the rest at or near peak value. He's made some excellent no risk, high reward moves with the Touki and Demeritte trades.

There's a lot to be content with here even if it's not perfect. It could have been a lot worse... a lot worse.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-01-2017), Julio3000 (03-31-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Coppy's said it w/o directly saying it. He had to get this team up and going for this year. That changed things. He couldn't do the big tear down. He had to dump BJ and CJ. He hasn't gotten nearly the time or the resources Theo got.

I think he's done a really good job. Yes he got luck with the Miller trade, but he made his own luck to get in there. He did trade away a lot of talent but JUp and Heyward were only 1 year of control. WE need a lot more time to judge his drafts and international signings. But we know he's hired really good people and invested in that part of the business.

I think it's fair to disagree on pitching vs hitting but they have been very clear about focusing on young pitching. So if they get fired they can at least say they went down with their plan.

I don't think Kemp is good. But if FF and Coppy are right then maybe FF and Kemp will mash together and it will be ok.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (03-31-2017), JohnAdcox (04-01-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I don't know about you but I'd much rather Nick Senzel than Ian Anderson
    Yep. I'm an Ian Anderson fan but I would 100% rather have Kyle Lewis over Anderson too

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

No, he's the king of the straw man.

Heck, fans on here generally aren't always as positive about the rebuild as even national writers who are paid to do this. The general consensus is that the Braves' rebuild has been a clear success. Say that on this board? You're an irrational, stupid homer who wants Coppy to raise your kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    No, he's the king of the straw man.

Heck, fans on here generally aren't always as positive about the rebuild as even national writers who are paid to do this. The general consensus is that the Braves' rebuild has been a clear success. Say that on this board? You're an irrational, stupid homer who wants Coppy to raise your kids.
    It's a bad thing around these parts to be positive about the braves organization.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (04-01-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    If not traded, I'd predict that is quite likely given his talent.
    Why would Acuna get traded, he's borderline untouchable at this point.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I can get the Swanson debate but if the Braves were gonna pay him, does it really matter when he was called up.

He'll be pretty expensive regardless.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Why would Acuna get traded, he's borderline untouchable at this point.
    No. Swanson is borderline untouchable. Acuna is someone you don't trade unless you get great value. His general prospect grade is about a B+. So he'd be a guy you'd trade for a young position player who's established, or a vet pitcher under control. Etc.

That being said given the general Anemic situation of our OF, I would rather keep him around because odds are we'll need him sooner rather than later as I suspect Markakis to not be doing much.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    No. Swanson is borderline untouchable. Acuna is someone you don't trade unless you get great value. His general prospect grade is about a B+. So he'd be a guy you'd trade for a young position player who's established, or a vet pitcher under control. Etc.

That being said given the general Anemic situation of our OF, I would rather keep him around because odds are we'll need him sooner rather than later as I suspect Markakis to not be doing much.
    Given Kemp, Markakis are about done soon or traded sure.

And his stock is only rising but if theres a Donaldson, Sale type trade out there, you consider doing that yeah.