Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
People need to realize that posters like thethe and clv do not base their views on facts. Instead, they take a point of view, and then morph their interpretation of available facts to fit their point of view.

So when Heyward struggles, it is proof they were right that he wasn't a good hitter. When someone points out the facts showing Heyward was a good hitter until last season, in their heads that means the data proves the league just hadn't figured out how to exploit him yet.

Same thing when presented with the fact that pitching prospects are more risky and less valuable than hitting prospects. Any normally rational human would conclude that it's wise to invest in hitting prospects. However, since thethe is the ultimate Braves homer, and the Braves are focusing on pitching, he morphs the fact into evidence proving it's a good thing to stockpile pitching.

It is called confirmation bias, and it is completely opposite of having an intuitive and curious intellect.
I smell some things in this post that don't add up.

First, the value of position players vs pitchers. I'd point you to the hauls closer's got at the dead line last year as a prime example of the value of pitchers.

Second, Sure there is more risk in pitchers. But what is the smarter investment? Developing your own pitchers on the "cheap" (then selling or letting walk before they hit 30) or paying for 30 year old free agent pitchers looking for the longest term, biggest money deal? Which path is "wiser" for a non top 5 payroll team?

You only need 8 position players at a time. You need what.... 20 (?) pitchers during a MLB season to just make it through. Not excel, just to get through. So you have to have over TWICE the number of QUALITY, not just a guy, pitchers to get it done during the mlb season and likely more if injuries or luck runs on some of them.

I don't necessarily think this is a right\wrong situation, just a different way of building a team.

The way THIS team is currently constructed, we shouldn't have to spend money on an ACE or high leverage bull pen options. Thought being, we can buy FA position players to plug gaps in our development with WISER investments like FA position players.