Thread: End of Spring Trade Scenario

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

End of Spring Trade Scenario

Looking for a little commentary here:

First, I think the FO is painted in the corner with the opening of the new park and likely can't do anything drastic such as trading away a name player right before the season starts. However, with the extension by the Cards of Molina and the tommy john status of Reyes, I was thinking the Braves might be able to do a deal with the Cards along the lines of:

Teheran for RHP Reyes (the RH Fried), C Carson Kelly and RHP Jack Flaherty. It's a risk/reward play for Reyes and a useful SP in Flaherty. But the big get is Kelly who becomes the starting catcher most likely in 2018 and looks to be the next big time catcher to develop in baseball.

Again, won't happen because we're gonna win, we're gonna win so Yuge, so yuge you won't believe it. But, if the Cards would do it, I think I would...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The Cardinals would never do that.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The Cardinals would never do that.
    Under normal circumstances (no TJ for Reyes) you would be correct. However, with the resigning of Molina, the Cards could (and probably will at some point) move Kelly. Reyes is a fantastic SP prospect when healthy. However, the TJ throws some uncertainty around him. Chances are he won't be able to pitch effectively again for 18 months and even then may not return 100% to form.

The Cards are clearly in a positioned to win now mode and are definitely interested in Quintana from the White Sox. Do you think the WS would take an injured Reyes, Kelly and Flaherty for Q? I don't. They've got better offers than that in hand already. And while Teheran isn't Quintana, he's a good #2 who's signed at a reasonable rate for a number of years.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    we aren't moving Tehran. Maybe they'd move Kelly but we'd have to go hard into the prospect stash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    One thing to keep in mind about Reyes is that he is accumulating service time while on the DL. To cite another example, our own Daniel Winkler now has 2 years of major league service time in spite of very little pitching at the major league level.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Under normal circumstances (no TJ for Reyes) you would be correct. However, with the resigning of Molina, the Cards could (and probably will at some point) move Kelly. Reyes is a fantastic SP prospect when healthy. However, the TJ throws some uncertainty around him. Chances are he won't be able to pitch effectively again for 18 months and even then may not return 100% to form.

The Cards are clearly in a positioned to win now mode and are definitely interested in Quintana from the White Sox. Do you think the WS would take an injured Reyes, Kelly and Flaherty for Q? I don't. They've got better offers than that in hand already. And while Teheran isn't Quintana, he's a good #2 who's signed at a reasonable rate for a number of years.
    The Cardinals are not going to trade Reyes right after his value took a huge hit. That would be incredibly shortsighted.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I'd make a trade with the Indians and then follow up with another trade with the Royals.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Trade then back Jaime at the deadline for Kelly

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Trade then back Jaime at the deadline for Kelly
    Possible, assuming they still have need and Jamie has a big first half. A lot of things would have to go just right but it's probably more likely than my scenario since the FO probably [I]can't[I] trade Teheran under any circumstances.