Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    I hope Minor does well. Good kid

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    God, just when I thought I couldn't hate the Yankees more, along comes this bratty idiot. If this account is true and not a joke, then he's immediately topped Bryce for my most disliked player. Ugh. Trade him to Japan.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...cid=spartanntp

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Braves just signed Ryan Howard to a MiLB deal, per Bowman.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    Shohei Ohtani, the Babe Ruth of Japan, told 60 Minutes he will sign with #MLB team after season, which could cost him $200M by not waiting.

---

Not going to happen, but I'd love Ohtani.

Like, give up my left testicle kind of love.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    Shohei Ohtani, the Babe Ruth of Japan, told 60 Minutes he will sign with #MLB team after season, which could cost him $200M by not waiting.

---

There are talent evaluators that say he's a top 10 pitching talent on the planet right now. He would be someone to go after.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale

---

We don't have a shot, we're limited to a max of $300,000. It will be interesting to watch, though, because there will be several teams who offer him their entire pool. Won't be a ton, but will be interesting to see where he goes.

If history is an indication, though, he'll be a pretty good player who is seriously overhyped.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We don't have a shot, we're limited to a max of $300,000. It will be interesting to watch, though, because there will be several teams who offer him their entire pool. Won't be a ton, but will be interesting to see where he goes.

If history is an indication, though, he'll be a pretty good player who is seriously overhyped.
    If Ohtani is giving up 200+ million by not waiting a couple of years then I doubt a team not being able to max out signing him is going to be an issue. I think he's going to want to be able to hit and whatever team promises him the best opportunity to do that will be the one to sign him.

Also, is there anything against immediately putting him on the 25 man roster and signing him to like an 8 year extension? It's different since he is 22 and that is something you could do. Not something you would do to a 16 year old kid.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If Ohtani is giving up 200+ million by not waiting a couple of years then I doubt a team not being able to max out signing him is going to be an issue. I think he's going to want to be able to hit and whatever team promises him the best opportunity to do that will be the one to sign him.

Also, is there anything against immediately putting him on the 25 man roster and signing him to like an 8 year extension? It's different since he is 22 and that is something you could do. Not something you would do to a 16 year old kid.
    He'll sign with a team maxing out their pool because any team who wants him will be willing to max out their pool.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    He'll sign with a team maxing out their pool because any team who wants him will be willing to max out their pool.
    So you are saying he wouldn't consider a team that's in the penalty if they let him hit and pitch and no other team would give him that option?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    So you are saying he wouldn't consider a team that's in the penalty if they let him hit and pitch and no other team would give him that option?
    Are you trying to argue the Braves have a shot at $300,000?

He's likely willing to forgo a much bigger contract because he wants to go ahead and get into MLB and thinks he'll eventually make enough with the additional couple years.

Do I think he'll be willing to forgo $5 million or so and take $300,000? No, I definitely don't.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Are you trying to argue the Braves have a shot at $300,000?

He's likely willing to forgo a much bigger contract because he wants to go ahead and get into MLB and thinks he'll eventually make enough with the additional couple years.

Do I think he'll be willing to forgo $5 million or so and take $300,000? No, I definitely don't.
    I'm saying a team the most willingly to let him hit the most will have a great chance to sign him. He's already making 2.3 million in Japan this year. There is a big difference between Ohtani and 16 year old kid getting money for the first time. That signing bonus could be the only thing that 16 year old ever gets and he's years away from seeing MLB time. Ohtani would go straight to MLB and could sign an extension at any time.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    I'm saying a team the most willingly to let him hit the most will have a great chance to sign him. He's already making 2.3 million in Japan this year. There is a big difference between Ohtani and 16 year old kid getting money for the first time. That signing bonus could be the only thing that 16 year old ever gets and he's years away from seeing MLB time. Ohtani would go straight to MLB and could sign an extension at any time.
    I think I read in a recent Dave Cameron chat that MLB would not allow an immediate extension to get around the rule... could be wrong but I definitely remember a question being asked about it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-08-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think I read in a recent Dave Cameron chat that MLB would not allow an immediate extension to get around the rule... could be wrong but I definitely remember a question being asked about it
    That would make sense but my point still stands. If Ohtani wanted to max out his money he would wait. I think it's clear he wants to play over here ASAP. And if he still wants to hit some he will go to a team giving him the best chance to do that which is likely an AL team. I don't think money will necessarily be a factor.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    That would make sense but my point still stands. If Ohtani wanted to max out his money he would wait. I think it's clear he wants to play over here ASAP. And if he still wants to hit some he will go to a team giving him the best chance to do that which is likely an AL team. I don't think money will necessarily be a factor.
    I agree with you that it won't be the only factor, and based on the fact that he's not waiting, it may not be a huge factor.

But getting to MLB 2 years earlier does have monetary benefits as well, so it's not as though his choice is simply between $200 million and $5 million.

But once the offers are on the table, I find it very hard to believe he would take the $300,000 offer over the $5 million offer. But we'll see, I certainly could be wrong.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Melvin Upton signs with Giants, per MLB at bat app.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Watching the Cubs/Brewers on mlb with Cubs' announcers. So much verbal fellatio on the Cubs' players that it ought to be X-rated.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Nice choice by the Nationals to add Jeremy Guthrie to their rotation. Phillies tee off for 12-run first inning; Guthrie lasted two outs. First inning took 53 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Wonder how much money this kid will get back at home in advertisements once he is in the big leagues.
    Natural Immunity Croc