Thread: LPGA Penalty

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

LPGA Penalty

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/...jor-viewer-tip

I'm not much of a golf fan/golfer, but I've heard of this happening on more than one occasion and still can't believe this is something allowed in a professional sport. This game takes itself way too seriously. Imagine every time you scream at your tv when a referee misses a rule violation during a football/basketball game?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bj1133 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-03-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Some fan got Tiger a few years ago. Forgot what tournament it was, don't think it was Augusta.

I think what's more embarrassing is they didn't have a chance to fix it on the same day and waited til the next round.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I felt so bad for her. Impressive that she came back to birdie the next two holes but unfortunately it wasn't enough.

Its really her fault for being so careless on the green. Just a shame that a gimmie putt cost her 4 strokes.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Wow that is a special kind of bull****. I could understand a 1 shot penalty, even 2 if they think she did it on purpose, but 4 strokes for 1 inch is ridonkulous. Is 4 strokes the normal penalty for this kind of infraction? Seems fishy to me to get a 4 stroke penalty when you lead by 3. Can she request event officials to place the ball for her so she doesnt make that mistake? If I was her I would probably skip that event from now on.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Wow that is a special kind of bull****. I could understand a 1 shot penalty, even 2 if they think she did it on purpose, but 4 strokes for 1 inch is ridonkulous. Is 4 strokes the normal penalty for this kind of infraction? Seems fishy to me to get a 4 stroke penalty when you lead by 3. Can she request event officials to place the ball for her so she doesnt make that mistake? If I was her I would probably skip that event from now on.
    Its 2 strokes for spotting the ball incorrectly and 2 for signing an incorrect scorecard.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Its 2 strokes for spotting the ball incorrectly and 2 for signing an incorrect scorecard.
    This is the part I don't get, was the scorecard incorrect because she moved the ball and should have been assessed the 2 stroke penalty?
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    The part I don't get is people liking and/or caring about golf.
    Last edited by jpx7; 04-03-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-03-2017), Julio3000 (04-04-2017), The Chosen One (04-03-2017), zitothebrave (04-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    The part I don't get is people liking and/or caring about golf.
    Have you ever tried to play?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    This is the part I don't get, was the scorecard incorrect because she moved the ball and should have been assessed the 2 stroke penalty?
    Yes - Golf is supposed to be self-governed. She should have assessed herself a 2 stroke penalty and since she signed a scorecard without it that is another 2 strokes. Ultimately, its a double dip but those are the rules.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Have you ever tried to play?
    Yes, I have—plenty, years ago, back in Florida, where at least a few acres of green grass made some sense.

If I want to walk around outside with a stick in my hand, I'll go on a hike (which I do frequently). Drinking a beer at the bottom of a canyon, or summit of a mountain, is way more rewarding than doing so on some manicured waste-of-water acreage with a few strategically-placed sand-boxes—and golf courses, for me, are particularly infuriating out here in Arizona, where they are not just plentiful but plenty-****ing-wasteful.

Honestly, I'm fine with golfers back east, where we have more water than we know what to do with (at least at the moment); I think the game is boring and lame, but I'm mostly a live-and-let-live sort of dude. However, my mild, mocking antipathy for golf has grown exponentially since moving out to the south-west, where the presence of course upon too-green-course both brilliantly exhibits the reasons for my deep distrust for the supposed planetary stewardship abilities of the free-market, and moreover stokes my disdain for the bald selfishness of both the moderately-to-very wealthy and retired boomers (two groups that overlap substantially).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-05-2017), Julio3000 (04-04-2017), zitothebrave (04-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Yes - Golf is supposed to be self-governed. She should have assessed herself a 2 stroke penalty and since she signed a scorecard without it that is another 2 strokes. Ultimately, its a double dip but those are the rules.
    That's some bull****. Especially since it was reported by a fan. If the PGA found it on their own that would be one thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Yes, I have—plenty, years ago, back in Florida, where at least a few acres of green grass made some sense.

If I want to walk around outside with a stick in my hand, I'll go on a hike (which I do frequently). Drinking a beer at the bottom of a canyon, or summit of a mountain, is way more rewarding than doing so on some manicured waste-of-water acreage with a few strategically-placed sand-boxes—and golf courses, for me, are particularly infuriating out here in Arizona, where they are not just plentiful but plenty-****ing-wasteful.

Honestly, I'm fine with golfers back east, where we have more water than we know what to do with (at least at the moment); I think the game is boring and lame, but I'm mostly a live-and-let-live sort of dude. However, my mild, mocking antipathy for golf has grown exponentially since moving out to the south-west, where the presence of course upon too-green-course both brilliantly exhibits the reasons for my deep distrust for the supposed planetary stewardship abilities of the free-market, and moreover stokes my disdain for the bald selfishness of both the moderately-to-very wealthy and retired boomers (two groups that overlap substantially).
    Fair. I love to hike as well for what it's worth.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    The biggest problem I have with this is it is an uneven playing field... this is one of the best golfers in the world, thus the camera is always on her, whereas half the field doesn't ever make the TV screen.

To let a fan dictate what happens to her simply bc she was being filmed while others weren't just isn't fair.

It baffles me that a sport as rich as golf is allowing fans call in to report infractions. Just hire a referee to watch each hole.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (04-06-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It baffles me that a sport as rich as golf is allowing fans call in to report infractions. Just hire a referee to watch each hole.
    Or review footage themselves.