Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gattis tearing it up at AAA

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Gattis tearing it up at AAA

Well, the Braves plan of sending Gattis to AAA is apparently working well. So far, he's 4 for 6, with 3 extra base hits, including a homerun tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    He also showed off his arm throwing out a runner at second too. That said, I still disagree with how the situation was handled. But I am happy to see him finally getting some AB's, even if it's at AAA.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

CJC (09-01-2013), zedsdead (09-02-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Braves were in a tough spot because of his hot he started but they haven't handled Gattis well. He should have been in Gwinett a while ago. By the end of June to mid July it was clear he was flawed and needed more work. Hopefully he will be back strong next year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Braves were in a tough spot because of his hot he started but they haven't handled Gattis well. He should have been in Gwinett a while ago. By the end of June to mid July it was clear he was flawed and needed more work. Hopefully he will be back strong next year.
    It's pretty clear they need that threat on their bench right now. It's marginal how long Reed Johnson would be available, if at all, and Pastornicky would have been that other RH bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    He's an easy out right now. I don't consider him a threat at this moment. The guy needs to learn how to hit. I believe he will be he needs everyday at bats.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    He's an easy out right now. I don't consider him a threat at this moment. The guy needs to learn how to hit. I believe he will be he needs everyday at bats.
    Not sure who you're talking about but Gattis knows how to hit. He just needs to learn how to not hit, or rather not swing at pitches meant to make him chase.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-02-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Not sure who you're talking about but Gattis knows how to hit. He just needs to learn how to not hit, or rather not swing at pitches meant to make him chase.
    He'll always be a free swinger and he's never really walked a ton in the minors. We've still got a division pennant to win and even though it looks good right now it's still not a done deal. he needs everyday AB's which he won't get here and he's still a liability in LF. He is best suited at catcher and with Mac healthy he wouldn't see much time there and Laird hasn't done anything to say he's not a decent back up at catcher. I agree with thethe in that this should of been done quite some time ago. There's a very strong possibility that we may need Gattis to be our everyday C next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I also think it hurts him to play multiple positions.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-02-2013), zedsdead (09-02-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    also didn't help that the braves got desperate and only gave him 1 rehab game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I also think it hurts him to play multiple positions.
    Agreed. He need to just be a catcher. He is good at it.

Not sure whats going to happen with Mac honestly but Heyward/Upton/Freeman should be made a priority over Mac. You just have to hope that Gattis can be more productive in a semi-everyday role at catcher.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg2309 View Post
    also didn't help that the braves got desperate and only gave him 1 rehab game
    It was two but yeah agreed. Braves have mishandled Gattis all year. He has a part to play in that because of how hot he started but he needed to see more breaking balls in the minor leagues.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Agreed. He need to just be a catcher. He is good at it.

Not sure whats going to happen with Mac honestly but Heyward/Upton/Freeman should be made a priority over Mac. You just have to hope that Gattis can be more productive in a semi-everyday role at catcher.
    I think a Bethancourt/Gattis combo would work well enough, though McCann/anyone would obviously work a lot better. Wouldn't even mind keeping Laird if it meant Fredi would utilize Gattis off the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think a Bethancourt/Gattis combo would work well enough, though McCann/anyone would obviously work a lot better. Wouldn't even mind keeping Laird if it meant Fredi would utilize Gattis off the bench.
    I think thats the way they are going to go. YOu are going to have to alot approximately 54 million a year soon for Freeman/Heyward/Upton. That should be the priority.
    Natural Immunity Croc

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-02-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It was two but yeah agreed. Braves have mishandled Gattis all year. He has a part to play in that because of how hot he started but he needed to see more breaking balls in the minor leagues.

How have they mishandled?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Think we're stuck with Laird, he's on a two year deal. And he's OK in the role he was signed for, back up catcher. If you carry Gattis you can carry three catchers since Gattis can play in the field. So Bethancourt could conceivable be the #1 catcher with Gattis and Laird in reserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    How have they mishandled?
    He should have always been getting everyday AB's so he can see more pitches. That obviously wasn't going to happen at the major league level so he should have been in AAA. He is a catcher (and by observation a good one), he should not have been in LF. I know you don't think he is a major leaguer but he was rushed to the major leagues because of how he started. HOpefully they find a way to get him more AB's next year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    Think we're stuck with Laird, he's on a two year deal. And he's OK in the role he was signed for, back up catcher. If you carry Gattis you can carry three catchers since Gattis can play in the field. So Bethancourt could conceivable be the #1 catcher with Gattis and Laird in reserve.
    Gattis should be the everyday catcher in that scenario. You could find a taker for Laird IMO or you just cut bait with him. I think CB will start the year in AAA personally.

It sure is a downgrade from Mac but you have to sign Freeman/Heyward/Justin and its not even a question to consider.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I don't think Gattis has seen the last of Atlanta this year. We will need that thunder threat off the bench. If he can get right (2-4 last game) then he will be a huge weapon to have.

I honestly thought with Heywards injury, we would have seen him a little more in the OF.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I don't think Gattis has seen the last of Atlanta this year. We will need that thunder threat off the bench. If he can get right (2-4 last game) then he will be a huge weapon to have.

I honestly thought with Heywards injury, we would have seen him a little more in the OF.

Expect to see Gattis back today and Hale added by Thursday or Friday.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    He should have always been getting everyday AB's so he can see more pitches. That obviously wasn't going to happen at the major league level so he should have been in AAA. He is a catcher (and by observation a good one), he should not have been in LF. I know you don't think he is a major leaguer but he was rushed to the major leagues because of how he started. HOpefully they find a way to get him more AB's next year.
    They gave him a chance and he failed. Instead of blaming the organization, why not blame the player?