Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump blasts Syria.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    OK. Now I really don't know what criteria you're using.
    Oh come on, of course you know what criteria he's using.

Think about what else (and who else) was going on during those years he mentioned.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    OK. Now I really don't know what criteria you're using.
    North Korea = Stronger now since 2008 because: Continued development of nuclear program, purported development of hydrogen bomb (granted, this is dubious), ICBM, etc.
    China = Stronger now since 2008 because: Needs no explanation, hopefully
    Russia = Stronger now than in 2008 because: Crimea, The Middle East, ability to freely tamper with our elections sans retribution
    Iran = Stronger now than in 2008 because: No longer crippled with multinational sanctions, able to fund Hezbollah, rebuild infrastructure ... still acutely anti-West.

Alternatively, you could demonstrate where Obama's State Department made inroads toward weakening these countries and/or meaningfully improving our strategic (or even diplomatic) relationships with them.
    Last edited by Hawk; 04-08-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Think about what else (and who else) was going on during those years he mentioned.
    Wouldn't a critique of Obama's foreign policy ... involve Obama?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Wouldn't a critique of Obama's foreign policy ... involve Obama?
    Of course, and I have no problem with that, since I disagreed with more of his foreign policy stuff than I did his domestic policy stuff. But be honest here, you were just as much looking back to "the good old days" of 2008 as you were the "bad old days" of 2009-2016.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    But be honest here, you were just as much looking back to "the good old days" of 2008 as you were the "bad old days" of 2009-2016.
    I know this is going to shock you, but not everything in this world boils down to American political partisanship.

Bush's second term was a foreign policy nightmare replete with negligence and idiocy. Noted and affirmed.

Now, can we get back to discussing what Obama did/did not do to improve things in this realm? :)
    Last edited by Hawk; 04-08-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    North Korea = Stronger
    China = Stronger
    Russia = Stronger
    ISIL = Stronger
    Iran = Stronger
    Threat of Terrorism = Higher
    Hahaha

Russia is stronger? Russian GDP when Obama took office was 1.6 trillion, when he left office 1.3 Trillion. Compared to US who was at 14.7 Trillion before and 18.3 after. I don't think that's a net gain. Only aspect Russia gained was Crimea which given the instability is probably not a net gain yet.

China was bound to get stronger, no matter who was president, CHina has a brilliant plan to get more money and they're the second most powerful nation for a reason.

ISIL didn't exist before Obama. So it's a given they'd be stronger. And they wouldn't have existed without BUsh's Iraq intervention.

Iran is stronger in only the smallest way, and they're stronger because of the Syrian conflict.

Threat of terrorism makes me laugh. Could you sound more warhawkish?
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Is it even possible to deny the threat of terrorism is higher?

HOw about the overall safety and security of Europe? That has decreased rapidly under Obamas presidency. That is a clear and present danger to the US as many countries within the EU are our strongest allies.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I know this is going to shock you, but not everything in this world boils down to American political partisanship.

Bush's second term was a foreign policy nightmare replete with negligence and idiocy. Noted and affirmed.

Now, can we get back to discussing what Obama did/did not do to improve things in this realm? :)
    I'm not arguing with you about Obama's negatives. I'd probably agree with you on at least most of them, if not all of them. The problem with someone my age is that I can remember stuff from 5 or 6 years ago or even 10+ years ago better and easier than I can remember last week. Of course since last week sucked that's not necessarily a bad thing. This is also why when the Repubs on this board talked the "we all need to put our differences aside and work with this new president like all of us did to work with the new president 8 years ago and the returning president 4 years ago I called bull****. You guys may really not remember all the stuff I read back then, but I do.

I also remember how any discussion with a particular individual around here over our real reasons for going into Iraq had to BEGIN with us admitting that our only motivations for going into the Iraq war were 100% legitimate and honorable and that there could be no talk of "Crooked Cheney" having an ulterior motive. Remember those "good old days"?

So yeah, bash on Obama. His foreign policy moves were for the most part questionable at best and terrible at worst. I tend to think he fell into that "what would W do and once I find out I"ll do the opposite" trap but that's just me. In either case I agree that the world is less safe now than it used to be and that Obama is not totally to blame by any means, he didn't exactly help things either. I could say the same thing about the positive numbers that are present in the economy after his 8 years.

Oh and THE real reason why we as a nation do just about everything we do it money, pure and simple. We may not be getting any of it, but those who call the shots certainly are.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Is it even possible to deny the threat of terrorism is higher?

HOw about the overall safety and security of Europe? That has decreased rapidly under Obamas presidency. That is a clear and present danger to the US as many countries within the EU are our strongest allies.
    I don't deny the danger is greater now or that Obama didn't do much to make things better, but what about Zeet's question about ISIL? Is Obama the creator of ISIL/ISIS like the current president claimed back during the campaign?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't deny the danger is greater now or that Obama didn't do much to make things better, but what about Zeet's question about ISIL? Is Obama the creator of ISIL/ISIS like the current president claimed back during the campaign?
    'Creator' is more all encompassing than any singular individual should bear the responsiblity for. Islam has always been a violent religion that has led to radicalization. If it wasn't ISIL it would be someone else. However, Obamas weakness did lead to the strengthening of ISIL in that the global desire for a worldwide caliphate became realistic in their eyes. They have been emboldened to export their brand of terror all across the globe and terrorist actions in their name are being perpetrated around the world.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

I don't think Obama created ISIS, but he definitely didn't do anything to stop it from growing either.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    You know who wouldnt have put with ISIS's ****? Sadaam Hussein.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I don't think Obama created ISIS, but he definitely didn't do anything to stop it from growing either.
    Obama pulling out of iraq, gave isis room to grow and get stronger.

If the troops stayed, isis wouldn't had spread

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post

How long would you have liked the troops to stay there? Indefinitely?
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I think that's a fair statement, though it doesn't address whose policies were responsible for their creation.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Russia is stronger? Russian GDP when Obama took office was 1.6 trillion, when he left office 1.3 Trillion. Compared to US who was at 14.7 Trillion before and 18.3 after. I don't think that's a net gain. Only aspect Russia gained was Crimea which given the instability is probably not a net gain yet.
    That's your argument? GDP? You are really trying to assert that Vladimir Putin, who is perhaps the wealthiest individual on this entire planet, has been made weaker by a trifling hit to Russia's ledgers? Then, you explain away Crimea as 'probably not a net gain' for no logical reason whatsoever while completely ignoring his not unimportant bed-buddy status with Erdogan and Assad. OK.

China was bound to get stronger, no matter who was president, CHina has a brilliant plan to get more money and they're the second most powerful nation for a reason.
    Yes, China is stronger. Not just financially, but also militarily. They are a major threat to our relevance in East Asia. How did Obama improve relations with China? How did America's relationship with China materially evolve in a positive way during Obama's presidency?

ISIL didn't exist before Obama. So it's a given they'd be stronger. And they wouldn't have existed without BUsh's Iraq intervention.
    Oh, come on. Al Qaeda did exist before Obama, Obama ignored ISIL as it metamorphosed and dismissed it as a "JV Team" ... but let's forget all of that entirely because Bush. Right.

Iran is stronger in only the smallest way, and they're stronger because of the Syrian conflict.
    That's bull****.

Threat of terrorism makes me laugh.
    Alright.

Could you sound more warhawkish?
    Um, yeah, I could.

Provide me a single example of a 'warhawkish' comment that I've made in this thread so I can mock you relentlessly.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    'Creator' is more all encompassing than any singular individual should bear the responsiblity for. Islam has always been a violent religion that has led to radicalization. If it wasn't ISIL it would be someone else. However, Obamas weakness did lead to the strengthening of ISIL in that the global desire for a worldwide caliphate became realistic in their eyes. They have been emboldened to export their brand of terror all across the globe and terrorist actions in their name are being perpetrated around the world.
    OK but you're spinning the narrative to stay away from whose actions caused them to be created.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post

And our going into Iraq created the miracle grow soil that caused them to be planted and grow like they did.

Cajun is absolutely right, if we don't go into Iraq Saddam would never have allowed them to form in the first place. I know that wasn't intentional on our part but the truth is the truth, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    OK but you're spinning the narrative to stay away from whose actions caused them to be created.
    Every president for the last 20 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    And our going into Iraq created the miracle grow soil that caused them to be planted and grow like they did.

Cajun is absolutely right, if we don't go into Iraq Saddam would never have allowed them to form in the first place. I know that wasn't intentional on our part but the truth is the truth, right?
    ISILas a name isnrrelevant. It's Islam that is causing all of this.